Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Sunday, January 20, 2013

THE WHITE WASHED VILLAGE OF MIJAS



So today is the last port of call and the second last day of the cruise.  We have a day at sea tomorrow and then we are back into Barcelona port first thing on Thursday morning.  Where has the time gone?  My tour today was a half day tour to Mijas.  The other tours that were on offer and more popular was a transfer to the Rock of Gibraltar and the other one was to Granada and the Alhambra which I had doe both when I was on my Contiki Spanish Spree in May 2011-gee was it really that long ago?  I was in my 3rd month of travelling my World Odyssey and I made lifelong friendships off that tour…. You know who you are!  Anyway, so I didn’t have to do those tours; that were also full days, so I chose a more leisurely ½ day tour and thought I’d get out of the city and see one of the small villages. 

Based on that, there was no hurry for breakfast as my tour didn’t leave till 12.50pm from the terminal so I had decided to relax on the ship.  I could have caught the bus into Malaga and seen some of the city, but when I stepped out for breakfast, it was cold-no it was FREEZING, so I decided to stay on board and just do the tour.  This morning they had CREAM, so I was able to have my pancakes with fresh blueberries and cream and the last few days I have just been having 2 small ham and cheese rolls, I’ve stayed away from the fully cooked breakfasts and feeling better for it-I am sure that fresh cream makes up for anything I am missing out of the hot food-but DANG it is so good.  As usual the dining room was chockers, which surprised me as I though most people would have been out on tours at 9am.  I decided to brave the cold and eat outside, which once I had wolfed down my food I had to go back inside, it really was cold.  .  I guess we are well and truly back to a European winter and out of the Atlantic Ocean and its warmer weather.  I was talking to one of the waiters and he was from Indonesia, so I told him the few words I have learnt at school in Indonesian and we talked about food and he told me he had something (memory fails me) in his cabin if I was interested in having some that he bought from home.  Ummmmmm my question was it spicy, to which he relied yes, so there was my ‘out’ and I told him I don’t like super spicy food.  This was after he asked me if I was cruising on my own.  Had I just been picked up?  Oh Sahul-so sweet, but no thanks. 

So after spending the morning in galaxy of the Stars on deck 12 reading my book with a beautiful view of the Malaga skyline I headed out at 12.30pm to make my way to the terminal and our waiting coach.  The port of Malaga looks new and the facilities are all spotless and new.  They had some duty free shops (not for us) but we could pick up some shopping on our way back if we wanted to.  As we were in Spain a duty of 21% would be added to the prices on things.  I didn’t need anything but good to note.  I got to the coach with 5 minutes to spare and thankfully I wasn’t the last, there were 3 more people to come.  It was busier than I thought it would be with 85% of the coach full. At 12.50pm we were on our way.  Málaga is a city and a municipality in the Autonomous Community of AndalusiaSpain.  It is the second most populous city of Andalusia and the sixth largest in Spain. The southernmost large city in Europe, it lies on the Costa del Sol (Coast of the Sun) of the Mediterranean, about 100 km east of the Strait of Gibraltar and about 130 km north of Africa.  Málaga's history spans about 2,800 years, making it one of the oldest cities in the world. It was founded by the Phoenicians as Malaka about 770 BC, and from the 6th century BC was under the hegemony of Ancient Carthage. Then from 218 BC it was ruled by the Roman Republic and later the Roman Empire as Malaca (Latin). After the fall of the empire it was under Islamic domination as Mālaqah for 800 years, but in 1487 it came again under Christians rule in the Reconquista. The archaeological remains and monuments from the Phoenician, Roman, Arabic and Christian eras make the historic centre of the city an "open museum", displaying its rich history of more than 3,000 years.  The internationally acclaimed painter and sculptor Pablo Picasso and actor Antonio Banderas were born in Málaga.

The city is an important tourist destination, known as "the capital of the Costa del Sol". Tourists usually visit the birthplace of Pablo Picasso and the Museo Picasso Málaga, the Carmen Thyssen Museum, the old town or the beaches. The Málaga harbour is also the second busiest cruise port of the Iberian Peninsula.  The Port of Málaga is the city's seaport, operating continuously at least since 600 BC. The port is one of the busiest ports on the Mediterranean Sea, with a trade volume of over 428,623 TEU's and 642,529 passengers in 2008.

The tour was called Charming Mijas and Countryside and we were admiring the countryside as we made our way via small back roads through the agriculture area of Malaga.  We were at sea level when we started; surround by the Sierra Nevada mountains which span the Andalusia region including the provinces of Granada and Almería.  It contains the highest point of continental Spain, Mulhacén at 3,478 metres above sea level and its spectacular from where we were sitting.  Agriculture of the area included bitter oranges, also known as the Seville orange, refers to a citrus tree and its fruit. It is hybrid between Citrus maxima and Citrus reticulata.  Many varieties of bitter orange are used for their essential oil, which is used in perfume, as a flavouring and as a solvent. The Seville orange variety is used in the production of marmalade.  We also saw flowering almond trees.  The almond is native to the Mediterranean climate region.  It was spread by humans in ancient times along the shores of the Mediterranean into northern Africa and southern Europe and more recently transported to other parts of the world.  I’ve never seen a flowering almond tree before and it reminded me of a cherry blossom tree.  There were thousands of banana plantations and lastly the other MASSIVE export for the region-Olive trees.  Olive tree cultivation originated in the Middle East more than 5,000 years ago and spread to the West throughout the Mediterranean area. From the wild olive trees that grew spontaneously, the first cultivators of the Iberian Peninsula began to choose those that had the best characteristics depending on the areas, productivity, adaptation to the soils, yield, etc... The olive trees in the Iberian Peninsula are now, therefore, hardy trees that can withstand diverse climate.  In Spain alone there are 260 olive tree cultivars and around 300 million trees just in Andalusia making the area the number one producer of olive oil in the world.  A shame I don’t eat olives. 

After an hour and 15 minutes winding our way over the mountains we arrived at the small town of Mijas.  Mijas is a town and municipality in the province of Málaga.  It is a typically Andalusia white-washed village located at a mountain side about 450 m above mean sea level, in the heart of the Costa del Sol region. There are some local history museums and many souvenir shops; Mijas also has seven golf courses (four more are under construction) including La Cala Resort, the biggest golf resort in Spain.  Economy is mostly based on tourism. Agricultural producers include potatoes, cereals and avocado.  Founded in prehistoric times by the Tertessians, it was known as Tamisa by the Romans; later the name changed to Mixa and finally to the current Mijas. The Romans were replaced by the Visigoths, and then, after 714, by the Moors.  At the time of emirate of Córdoba, it was conquered by Umar ibn Hafsun, remaining under the rule of Bobastro until the latter was defeated by Abd al-Rahman III.  In 1487 Mijas resisted to the attacks of the Catholic Monarchs during the siege of Málaga; later the inhabitants surrendered and most were sold as slaves. During the Revolt of the Comuneros it remained loyal to the Spanish crown, which granted Mijas the title of 'Muy Leal ("Very Loyal").  In the 19th century, Mija’s livelihood, were mainly agriculture and fishing, plus some farming and mineral extraction. And vines were the main wealth of Mijas until the Philloxera plague destroyed all the plantations. Also important was the paper production’s. It was found some mills located in the area of “Osunillas” 1744. At the half of the century, was the most productive time in the industry, thanks to the arrival of Valencia’s papermakers.  In 1873 they opened the road between Mijas and Fuengirola. Fuengirola was segregated from Mijas in 1841. However, the village remained isolated until the second republic, when the first newspaper arrived. There was no phone until 1953 and as descriptions of the time; the town consisted mostly of shacks. The population was scattered across the countryside.  At the post war period there was much hunger and lack of work.  In the 50’s an asbestos factory came to alleviate unemployment and began building small hotel because the fame that Costa del Sol was getting.  The Climate of Mijas, due to the proximity of the sea, conditions mild temperatures, with an average of 18 °C without heat in summer and little frost in winter. The rainfall is below 600ml per year. They occur mainly between November and January. The town boasts some 2920 hours of sunshine a year. 

Once we arrived we were given 10 minutes for the ‘older’ generation to go to the bathroom and then as a group we made our way from the main village square uphill for a small orientation tour of the town with a rest at the ‘Wine Museum’ and rewarded for our 10 minute walk with a glass of crisp white dessert wine and then taken further through the small cobbled streets surrounded by the stark white walls of the buildings to another small square and then given 1.5 hours to spend to our own devices and to meet back at the main square at 4.15pm.  We were pointed in the direction of up one more hill to get views over the valley and also over the white washed homes that hugged the mountains and we weren’t disappointed when we got to the top.  There was a small reserve/gardens called La Muralla, where there is a pathway around the mountain that you could follow and just appreciate the view and at the same time get some great snaps.  The Municipal Auditorium was also located up here.  It was windy and a little brisk, but the sun was out to help counter act the howl of the wind and I spent a good 30 minutes walking around the path.  It truly was stunning here.

On my way back down to start making my way back to the coach, like most towns in Andalusia, Mijas has its own bullring, the Plaza de Toros. Situated in the earlier mentioned La Muralla area, the bullring stands on a small square, within easy walking distance of the gardens, the Municipal Auditorium and the centre of the town. Built in 1900, the Plaza de Toros is one of the most interesting sights in Mijas.  It was a cute little bullring, only the second one that I have ever seen after the one we saw in Seville in my Spanish Spree tour, but here we were allowed to walk into the actual ring.  It was 3EUR to get in and I think it was worth every penny.  I was the only one in the whole establishment, so I knocked myself out taking a bunch of photos.  This outstanding bullring, built in 1900, stands in the higher part of town on a rock next to the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción.  Its most remarkable feature is its oval shape (one of a few in Spain).  The first bullfighting event in Mijas took place on 8 September 1900. Since then, there have been hundreds of young bull running events. These have their origin in how young bulls were brought from the meadows in the past. Instead of using boxes, they were driven along roads and tracks to a rest place where now the Mijas Hotel is located.  After the break, the young bulls where driven across a deserted town centre to the bullring. In those days, just like they do now, the assistants must have felt tempted to run ahead of the bulls, with their legs and maybe a timely window as protection.  There are no running events now. The bullring was closed for rehabilitation from 1968 to 1977.

I found my way back uneventfully to the main square.  All the little alleyways look the same, so you have to pay attention to the stores and signs which are in Spanish and also English as it could be quite easy to get lost in this small village when all the buildings look the same.  But never fear, I made it back with time to have a look at the shops that faced the main square-all selling the same stuff and then the coach arrived right on time, we all got on, everyone was accounted for and we made our way back to the ship via the main highway getting us back in 45 minutes at 5pm.  It was a great little tour and I am glad that I did it to get off the ship and see some of the Spanish countryside.  Thanks to Miguel or driver and to Jose our guide for a delightful afternoon.

The buffet dinner was closing at 8pm tonight as they were having the chocolate buffet starting at 9pm which actually worked out okay for me as I didn’t have any lunch so after dropping off my bag to my cabin I headed to dinner early and figured I could always get something latter on should I get hungry after the show.   It was also a double bonus as I was on deck for the sunset at 6.20pm and to also see the Holland America ship “Rotterdam’ leave.  I still marvel at how those little tug boats work.  There was just the one tugboat and it basically turned the 62,000 tonne ship 180 degrees for the ship to then chug its way out of port.  Really it is amazing.  There were hundreds of seagulls all swooping as the ship left port.  I guess the ship was churning up a lot of the sea floor and they were hoping to scavenge some food.  Literally there were hundreds of them and it made for some good photos-if they come out.  I think flying birds are one of the hardest pictures to take.  It was a shame that I only had my point and shoot on me.  There seems to be something wrong with my little friend.  I have some black lines appearing on the screen and they seem to get worse when the weather is cold and it currently won’t let me delete any pictures anymore.  I do get my monies worth out of my camera’s as they certainly work hard in the hands of myself, so I can’t really complain-but I did only buy this camera in July.  It wasn’t super expensive; I think I may have paid 110AUD, so I just may have to keep my eyes peeled duty free for a new one when I leave Barcelona.  I mustn’t forget to mention that beautiful sunset over the Sierra Nevada’s with the shipping container cranes silhouetted.   It was an incredible view.  As soon as the sun set, there was a distinct chill in the air and the wind was still blowing a gale force, so it was time to head back to the cabin to freshen up and get to the Stardust Theatre for the evenings show.     

I feel so ridiculous now as I wait for the theatres doors to open each night.  I am getting that pedantic that I want the same seat each night that I am now getting there early, before the doors even open; to make sure I am one of the first in.  The first 4 days there were hardly anyone waiting, me and this old couple and an older dude travelling his own, to the last few nights around 20 of us all standing waiting and I am embarrassed to say I am the only one under the age of 50 out of that 20, not including the wheel chair lass, as they need the extra time to settle in.  When the doors open I feel like I need to pop out my elbows and like a comedy skit push over all the old people to make sure none of them get my seat.  Funny and sad all at the same time.  I am lucky I am the 6th row up and a lot of the first comers are after the first row anyway.  Lucky for them.  The show was SENSATIONAL tonight.  It was a combination of Cripton the Magician and his wife Renata, the duo of Dou Amore-the acrobatic/dancers and the Norwegian Dancers and the show was called Elements.  Everyone was incorporated and the show ran through earth, fire, rain, sunshine and finishing with snow.  The costumes were magnificent, there were rope climbers, the whole theatre was used for the show, including up the aisles and it was a new looking set from what we had seen all week.  It really had it all.  The magician was great, but he had two tricks that really didn’t work and I feel embarrassed for him.  The first one was he had to blow a bubble for his next trick to progress to the next part of the show and he took 3 attempts to get a damn bubble and only just caught one to give you the idea of what he was doing.  And the second act was the ‘magic’ lifting of Renata in the air using the water tray he had her lying in which did look impressive and he did the hoop over the body thing to show you there was nothing holding her up but as she came down you could see she was sitting on a small seat of some kind and see a bar going up her back, but still seeing that, I don’t know how he gets the hoop around her.  The grand finale had all of the dancers, singers, and acts on stage in their snow outfits and small pieces of paper getting blown around on stage making it look like it was snowing and then they called up all the stewards and stewardesses, the drinks guys, the bar staff, the wait staff in the restaurants, the head chef and his guys and then the senior officers and finally the captain.  It gave me goose bumps as all these people are required to make your holiday a special one and the catch tag that NCL had was we are now their ambassadors.  What a great end to a show and they all got a standing ovation.  The last people to come out were the hand washers.  They have these guys at the entrances of all the restaurants and the catch cry for these guys is “washy washy” and my Indonesian guy was up there with his towel mate Roger.  It is strange to have the finale on our 2nd last night.  I wonder why they didn’t do the show tomorrow night for the Barcelona passengers?  What a great show to start the Malaga people on though!  Beats our comedian guy who I didn’t even see, but apparently he wasn’t that great. 

As it worked out I wasn’t that hungry and after the show made my way back to my cabin.  I will have to pack all my crap tomorrow that I have strewn all over the place.  I never did end up unpacking properly.  I could have left ½ the clothes I bought in Barcelona but not knowing what the weather was going to be like I was better to be safe than sorry.

That completes our last port of call.  A day at sea tomorrow and then back into Barcelona.  I have had a great time on the ship but with only 22 minutes left of internet time and the buffet dinner getting a little tiring I think I am looking forward to getting back to land and then preparing for my last flights into Africa.  Crap-Africa in 5 days.  FIVE DAYS.  Still hasn’t hit me yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment