Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

THE VOLCANIC ISLAND OF SANTA CRUZ, TENERIFE-CANARY ISLANDS


I was awake at 6am this morning.  I didn’t have to meet my tour at the Stardust Theatre till 9.30am.  So I decided to get some underwear washing done.  There had been a washing bag left on my bed last night that you could get done for 25USD.  It’s actually not too bad a price, but I only had a few shirts, a skirt and undies to wash and didn’t seem worth that.  So I washed my undies and I’ll save my washing for when I get to Kenya.  I can’t remember the last time I actually hand washed any clothes; I have always paid to get them done as the pricing hasn’t been too bad.  Sorry to my steward Linda when she walks into my bathroom this morning……  I am still sleeping with a light on in the cabin as I am afraid if I turn the light off I will just sleep through and miss the next day all together.  It really is pitch black in an inside cabin at any time of the day-black-the darkest of darkness and perfect sleeping conditions with the hum of the ships engine and a roll of the ocean to rock you to sle……….snore….snore….snore… Yeah I think I will keep that light on-I certainly didn’t want to sleep in today.  I had a full day tour booked of the island of Santa Cruz. 

The great thing of a later tour is that sunrise was at 8am and I was at breakfast at 8.30am, so I got to see the beginning of a new day.  Tenerife looked bigger than what I had imagined and as I ate my breakfast on the back deck of the ship I got a bird’s eye view of us coming into port, following another ship and the new days light hitting the very green slopes of the island as the city comes to life.  There were 3 other ships in port, there were 2 from the German company Aida and a ship called the Saga Sapphire which I have never heard of.  Plus us made 4.  It was going to be a busy day on the island.  I wonder where Costa has cruised to? 

The buffet breakfast is starting to take its toll on me and not food wise, even though that is getting to me but people just don’t watch where they are going.  They just pull out without checking, people bang into you as they try and pass without saying excuse me and not to mention old people that take 10 hours to put some fruit on their plate.  In my head everyone is Pops and Grandma and I have been very patient for the whole cruise, but today just seemed more pronounced than any other day.  Maybe they are getting cabin fever-hell maybe I am getting cabin fever?  I do suck it all up and smile as I know that one day that will be me.  I did discover something awesome at breakfast today and that is fresh pancakes which I hear you say no big deal, but I also found the fresh blackberry jam that goes with them and for the piece de resistance- the FRESH cream…. Oh yes-no pancake is complete without fresh cream on a fresh pancake.  It couldn’t have come at a better time when I was getting sick of the bacon and scrambled eggs that I have had every morning so far.       

Welcome to Tenerife-Santa Cruz-Canary Islands
Tenerife is an island created volcanically, building up from the ocean floor 20–50 million years ago.   

We arrived on time after yesterday’s 1 hour late arrival and we were just as swiftly deployed from the theatre to our waiting coaches for our day tour.  We had a few early hick-ups before we even left the port.  The air-conditioning was working, so we spent a few minutes waiting as the driver fixed that and then the microphone wasn’t working but a few more minutes and this was also sorted.  The coach looks brand new actually-it still smells like a brand new car and was a lap of luxury with full leather seats and clean windows.  I did the right thing again and took the back seat and again I was rewarded with being the only person to sit there and with the seats in front of me also spare.  It was a perfect photo taking position from the coach.  Our guide must have been 65+ and I had to really concentrate on his English but he knew what he was talking about as he had lived on the island his whole life.  He said we were lucky with the weather as it had been raining all week and was due to rain again tomorrow.      

Santa Cruz de Tenerife is the capital (jointly with Las Palmas) of the Canary Islands located about 210 kilometres off the north western coast of Africa within the Atlantic Ocean.  Between the 1833 territorial division of Spain and 1927 Santa Cruz de Tenerife was the sole capital of the Canary Islands, until 1927 when a decree ordered that the capital of the Canary Islands be shared, as it remains at present.  The port is of great importance and is the communications hub between EuropeAfrica and Americas, with cruise ships arriving from many nations.  Its harbour is one of Spain's busiest; it comprises three sectors. It is important for commercial and passenger traffic, as well as for being a major stopover for cruisers en route from Europe to the Caribbean. The city also has one of the world's largest carnivals. The Carnival of Santa Cruz de Tenerife now aspires to become a World Heritage Site, and is the most important of Spain and the second largest in the world.

The area on which now stands the city and the municipality of Santa Cruz de Tenerife has been the subject of human occupation since the time of the Guanches, approximately 2000 years ago, as attested by the archaeological sites found. The area was known to the Guanches, the first inhabitants of the island, as Añazo. Later, it became one of the most important ports of the Atlantic and the Canary Islands, a status it retains to this day. This former fishermen's village rose to prominence after a Volcano destroyed the port of Garachico in the 18th century.  Santa Cruz became the major port on the Island. It first won its independence from La Laguna and, in the 19th century, was awarded the status of Capital of the Canary Islands province by King Ferdinand VII.  Between 1833 and 1927 Santa Cruz de Tenerife was the sole capital of the Canary Islands. In 1927 a Royal decree ordered that the status of capital city of the Canary Islands would be shared with Las Palmas in Gran Canaria. This arrangement remains in place today.  The Santa Cruz de Tenerife-La Laguna Metropolitan Area forms the second largest city and metropolitan area of the European Union outside Europe.

The first thing we notice when we pull away from the port is the Opera House.  It is an interesting building that resembles slightly of the Sydney Opera House in its unusual shape.  It is an emblematic building of Spanish architecture. The building has an organic and famous structure in the shape of 'sails' with white blue rollers and has become a symbol of the city, island and archipelago. Designed by Santiago Calatrava, the Auditorium of Tenerife was constructed in 2003.  It is one of the main attractions of Tenerife and the Canary Islands.  From here we started our ascent up to the centre of the island and what was going to be the highlight of the day Teide National Park.  But first we had to pass through a part of the island, The Esperanza Forest.  Not only were there hundreds of massive green pines, but the views and the landscape we followed along the mountain ridge that runs through the north east of the island was INCREDIBLE.  Not only pine trees but you could also see cypresses, eucalyptus trees and a lot of other interesting plants. Apparently is often foggy in the forest because it is located in the zone where the clouds of the trade wind stick which in turn makes the forest so green-but we had a glorious day and even Carlos our guide, said that it was unusual to have such a clear day this time of year.  I couldn’t stop taking photos and I know I will have a lot to delete when I get home tonight.  We also got our first glimpse of Mt Teide which is not only the highest mountain on the island but also of Spain.  It was a magical view and Carlos stopped the coach twice for us to get off and be able to get some photos and then he also stopped a few times for us to take photos from the coach.  What a good man.  The forests of Canary Island Pine occur from 1000–2100 m, covering the middle slopes of the volcano. 

We stopped for a coffee break and blue loo as Carlos like to call it.  He said that you don’t need to pay for toilets on the island.  The Canarians see it as a human right to go to the toilet and don’t believe in charging you for it.  Nice sentiment I guess.  The restaurant we stopped at was busy.  There were another 3 coaches in plus motorbike riders and day trippers.  It was after all a Saturday and there were hikers and walkers also out and about.  There was one smart business woman selling chocolate coated almonds which don’t sound that amazing-until you ate one and they were just delicious.  Her try before you buy theory worked on me and before I knew it I had paid 11EUR for 2 small bags gift boxed.  I mean there weren’t even cashews which are always more expensive than almonds and I am just grateful that she didn’t have them as they would have been more expensive to buy.  I justified the cost as I haven’t really spent anything on this section, which is a GREAT thing but one little splurge, well 2, I also bought a beautiful small ceramic plate that I will be able to use for my jewellery or for nuts or something.  It hit me that I can really buy up if I want because my next stop is Kenya-Home.  I just have to carry the stuff, but what are a few souvenirs when I have 60kg of luggage already?  Pfffff a walk in the park.  For the record the plate only cost 10EUR-my almonds were more expensive than that!  But they were good and locally produced, so I was giving back to the community! 

After a 30 minute stop here it was time to head into the park.  Teide National Park is centred around 3718 m Mount Teide, the highest mountain of Spain and the islands of the Atlantic (it is the third largest volcano in the world from its base). It was declared a national park on 22 January 1954, making it one of the oldest national parks in Spain. It is also the largest national park in Spain and an important part of the Canary Islands. Another volcano located in the park (next to the Teide) is the Pico Viejo. It is the second largest volcano in the Canary Islands with its 3,135 m peak.  The park has an area of 18,990 hectares and was named a World Heritage Site by UNESCO on June 29, 2007.  Since the end of 2007, it has also been one of the 12 Treasures of Spain. Midway up the mountain are the telescopes of the Observatorio del Teide. Territorially, it belongs to the municipality of La Orotava.  Teide is the most visited national park in Spain, with a total of 2.8 million visitors.  The Teide in 2010 became the most visited national park in Europe.  The Teide is the most famous natural icon not only of Tenerife but also of all the Canary Islands.  The Teide National Park has a large historical value. This place had an important spiritual significance to aboriginal Guanches in the park where important archaeological sites have been discovered. For the Guanches the Teide was a place of worship, thought it was the gate of hell.  The Teide National Park contains a huge range of invertebrate fauna, over 40% of which are endemic species, with 70 species only being found in the National Park. The invertebrate fauna include spidersbeetlesdipteranshemipterans, and hymenopterae.  In contrast, Teide National Park has only a limited variety of vertebrate fauna.  Ten species of bird nest in the park. Three endemic reptile species are also found in the park.  The only mammals native to the park are bats and other mammals such as the mouflon, the rabbit, the house mouse, the black rat, the feral cat, and the Algerian Hedgehog have all been introduced to the park.

The minute we entered the park you could see the trees disappear and what Carlos like to call the ‘lunar’ escarpments started and he was right.  There wasn’t really a tree in sight the further into the park we drove.  There seemed to be a lot of green tumble weed looking plants and a lot of rock formations left from millions of years ago and old eruptions.  With just the one road in and out and at times tight on the side of small mountains traffic was a little congested at times-nothing to disrupt the tour, but someone would have to back up to let the coaches through and we also had week-end traffic that was on the road.  On the straights of the roads and cars behind us with the starkness of the landscape you did feel like you were on another planet.  Which seems to prove a little realistic apparently.  The similarity between environmental conditions and geological that Teide National Park and the planet Mars have turned this spot volcanic reference point for studies related to the red planet.  The analogies between the red planet and parts of Tenerife make the island the ideal place for testing instruments that will travel to Mars and reveal past or present life on Mars. In 2010 a research team tested at Las Cañadas del Teide, the Raman instrument to be sent in the next expedition to Mars, ESA-NASA ExoMars from 2016-2018.  In 2011 a team of United Kingdom researchers visited the National Park in June to test a method for finding life on Mars and finding places to try in 2012, new robotic vehicles. 

My question was when had the volcanos last erupted?  Well Tenerife is a rugged and volcanic island sculpted by successive eruptions throughout its history. There are four historically recorded volcanic eruptions, none of which has led to casualties. The first occurred in 1704, when the Arafo, Fasnia and Siete Fuentes volcanoes erupted simultaneously. Two years later, in 1706, the greatest eruption occurred at Trevejo. This volcano produced great quantities of lava which buried the city and port of Garachico. The last eruption of the 18th century happened in 1798 at Cañadas de Teide, in Chahorra. Finally, and most recently, in 1909 that formed the Chinyero cinder cone, in the municipality of Santiago del Teide, erupted.  About 800,000 years ago, two gravitational landslides occurred, giving rise to the present-day valleys of La Orotava and Güímar.  Finally, around 200,000 years ago, eruptions started that raised the Pico Viejo-Teide area in the centre of the island, over the Las Cañadas caldera.  Carlos was saying they are due for an eruption!  Hopefully not today.   

The lava plains were surrounding is and it was a surreal feeling.  The Teide–Pico Viejo complex and the Las Cañadas areas are the most prominent. It comprises a semi-caldera of about 130 km2 in area, originated by several geological processes.  There was view point in the park where every man and his dog go to can see the crater, get to climb some stairs to get a higher view of the surrounds and it is also the start of hiking trails as well.  There were some clusters of volcanic lava ‘statues’ made millions of years ago that made for some great photography.  Considering how many people were here, surprisingly you get photos without too much fuss.  I climbed the stairs as far as they went before you had to walk on the rock face and then I was out.  No need killing myself for a photo of a view I had already taken 20m below.  We were given 30 minutes here and even though we were at an altitude of 2100m above sea level with the sun high in the sky it made for a great day of 20C, quite pleasant if nothing a little hot but I could see how it could get cold up here and known for snow in the winter months which is definitely hard to picture.    

We now had to make the 1.5 hour journey back to sea level.  I had my IPod so it was wonderful to just kick back, listen to some tunes and watch this amazing scenery pass me by.  Both Madeira and Santa Cruz have surprised me-I’m not sure what I expected but they are both stunningly gorgeous islands and I am looking forward to seeing what Lanzarote has to offer tomorrow.  We were now heading to the seaside town of Puerto de la Cruz which located on the north coast of Tenerife Island, in the Orotava Valley.  The coasts of Tenerife are typically rugged and steep and we saw this as we came back down the valley.  It really was stunning scenery-MAGNIFICENT.  We arrived into Puerto de la Cruz at 2pm for a late lunch and a look around this beachside resort.  Prior to the development of hotels and buildings, much of the area consisted of agricultural land. Considerable fiscal pressure led to land development, which saw the character shift from rural/agricultural to urban/tourism-based. Valle de La Orotava and Puerto de la Cruz were the first holiday resorts on the Canary Islands.  Puerto de la Cruz occupies a prominent place in the history of tourism of the islands.  Before mass tourism existed in Puerto de la Cruz, minority tourism catered for privileged elites who were interested in climatology, botany and the tranquillity of the location. The proximity of the Canary Islands to Europe meant that travel for health reasons was a primary driver for launching modern tourism here.  At the beginning of the 19th century, the environment of Puerto de la Cruz meant that it attracted many researchers and exclusive high-class groups from Europe. At this stage Puerto de la Cruz was a leading cultural centre accommodating many travellers and writers, including William Wilde and Alexander von Humboldt.  Puerto de la Cruz therefore gained an illustrious reputation in Europe, and when it came to the subsequent advent of modern tourism, the city was at an advantage compared with other tourist sites.  Tourism began to have an important role in the local economy in the late 19th century. It was in those years that the Grand Hotel Taoro was built and that old family houses began to be remodelled, for example as Marquesa or Monopol, transforming them into the first hotels in the city centre. Finally, the real tourism boom came in the 1950s, when the city began its transformation into the tourist reference point of the island and of the archipelago. 

I have to admit that I was hungry and after nearly a week of buffet food I wanted something ‘normal’ and I had McDonalds and it was delicious.  I would have loved to have done a little Tapa’s but we were only given 1 hour and 15 minutes here, so I decided to hoe into lunch, use the free Wi-Fi (welcome back) and then hit the streets to have a look around.  It was quite and I don’t mean people wise, there were people everywhere and I would hate to imagine what this place looks like in summer.  I am not sure I would want to be here in summer but I would expect music to be playing from somewhere.  There was one guy on a guitar and people peddling bags and necklaces and the restaurants were busy, but it was quite.  The main part of the promenade overlooks the Parque Marítimo César Manrique which is basically an entertainment complex, designed by architect César Manrique.  It contains a set of pools (with water drawn from the sea), hot springs jacuzzi, children's play areas and a sports facility.  There were deck chairs all around the 3 pools and a lot of sunburned looking British people sunning themselves. 

I walked the length of the promenade as far as time would permit and then turned around to walk the other side which was also the beach side of the area.  The island has 67.14 kilometres of beaches.  There are many black sand pebble beaches on the northern coast, while on the south and south-west coast of the island, the beaches have typically much finer and clearer sand with lighter tones.  I was standing on a black beach with the white of the waves breaking on the sand it made for a great photo.  There was a guy there selling rocks that he painted faces on and I instantly saw one that made me smile and after asking him how much they were I paid my 4EUR-I know you may think I got ripped off paying that for a rick I could pick up myself, but the face was well painted and it made me smile.  4 EUR well spent I say.  He signed the rock, dated it and put the place on the reverse side of it and I was now the happy owner of a pet rock.  Wait till you see the photos-you’ll see.  It was also a great opportunity to see the steep mastiffs of the coast-aka the steep cliff faces.     

It was time for me to high tail it back to the coach for our last stop of the day at a small village called La Orotava located within the Orotava Valley. It is only 5 km E of Puerto de la Cruz and about 33 km from the island's capital, Santa Cruz de Tenerife.  La Orotava has a rich land for cultivation and its economy was based on agriculture for centuries, with products such as wine, tomatoes, bananas and others that were exported mainly to Europe and the UK.  It was not until beginning of century XIX when the tourism industry began. The environment of La Orotava meant that it attracted many researchers and exclusive high-class groups from Europe. At this stage La Orotava was a leading cultural centre accommodating many travellers and writers, among others William Wilde and Alexander von Humboldt.  Currently, La Orotava is frequented all year by Northern Europeans, especially during the winter months, due to its mild climate.  This section was a walking tour and t was nice to get off and stretch the legs.  The architecture has been looked after here and the buildings reflected that.  Main points of interest included Casa Molina, Plaza de San Francisco La Casa de los Balcones and a few of the majestic homes still in the centre of town.

We left Orotava at 5pm to head back to the ship.  It took just under 45 minutes and with an all aboard call at 6.30pm we had made perfect timing the whole day.  High five to Carlos and our driver Roger to sticking to the plan and all the oldies that had also kept up all day and what a great day it had been.. One of the benefits of being on a lower deck is that the gangway is always from deck 4 or 5-so no waiting for lifts when I get back from tours.  I only had an hour till I had to get ready for my show at 7pm (7.30pm show-but need to get my seat) so I switched on the TV and started watching Hunger Games.  I pretty much mossed all the hype when this movie came out but I was really getting into it when I had to leave for the show.  Even then I was 5 minutes late and my German couple were already in place.  Since the second night the 3 of us have sat in the same seats.  He reads his book, she has her IPad and I am on my IPod playing solitaire till the show starts.  I am in row 6 and the 6th seat in.  There is no particular reason for me, it just happens to be a good seat.  I didn’t bother to go on deck when we left at 7pm as it was totally dark and you wouldn’t have been able to see anything anyway.  Tonight’s show as was Broadway with the Norwegian Dancers.  They had picked 6 big shows and then did around 5-10 minutes from each one.  It was pretty good.  There was some cheesy dancing but overall I enjoyed the show.  The costumes were pretty impressive, so I guess that is a plus.  You could after the show, go and meet the dancers and get a photo taken if you wanted to, but they all seem pretty stuck up and don’t talk to the passengers when you see them around the ship.  No thanks.

A great day and looking forward to tomorrow.           


No comments:

Post a Comment