Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

11 HOUR DRIVE WITH THE ADDLETONS BACK TO LONDON


We were heading back to London today.  It was time to farewell Inverawe, Rosie and Robert.  I wonder how they feel when after nearly 2 weeks of having mass people in their home they were back to 2 people, oh and Ludo-the family dog.  I bet it is quiet and I guess they like that too.  We had a departure time of 8.30am and ended up getting on the road at 9.30am.  Girl, Jamie and Fiona were on the road 30 minutes before us and we all had a full day of travel to get us back to London.  Lucky for the Addletons that I didn’t bring the monster and my other bags as the car was packed to the rafters as it was already.  I took the back seat and after a final wave to R&R we were on the cold and wet road. 

As mentioned in my last blog Paps and Em had their reception at Inverawe and we passed the church where they got married, so we stopped briefly so that I could have a look around and it was a beautiful church and it had a headstone at the front with a date of 1898.  St Conan’s Kirk, Church of Scotland, is located in Loch AweArgyll and ButeScotland. It is situated on a crag high above the water amid vegetation which includes roses, honeysuckle, and ivy, and is surrounded by large trees. It was established as a chapel of ease by the Campbell’s of Innis Chonan. The Bruce Chapel is renowned for the fragment of bone that is rumoured to have come from Robert the BruceKing of Scotland.  It was designed by the self-made architect Walter Douglas Campbell, great-grandfather of the Duke of Argyll, and built in 1881-6; with renovation in 1906. The heavy oak beams in the cloister are believed to have come from the (then) recently broken up wooden battleships, HMS Caledonia and HMS Duke of Wellington. An eccentric blend of church styles, from ancient Roman to Norman, it is built of local stone. It consists of a nave and chancel, with the chancel-stalls being canopied. Large, unsmoothed boulders of granite from nearby Ben Cruachan, form the piers which carry the chancel arch, and the transepts make the Sacred Cross. There is also a tower and spire.  It was a stunning church and again I didn’t get a chance to see the view due to the low laying fog but Paps and Em recreated a wedding pose for me in one of the stone entrances.

It really was a crap day to be on the roads.  Em took the first shift of driving and it was a little tricky.  They were not very narrow roads and they were so windy that I was starting to get a little car sick.  I am normally a good traveller, I don’t get motion sickness, but I was feeling very dodgy while we were on the bendy roads.  I am going to say it had nothing to do with Em’s driving of course.  It was shame it was so foggy as I had been told by several people just how pretty the scenery is around this area, I missed it coming up as it was night time when I arrived and now this morning it was super foggy I couldn’t even see the loch to glens at all in some places.  I guess that is Scotland and it could also happen in the summer months-it weather is just so unpredictable! 

We finally made it onto the freeway around lunch time and it was like an instantaneous feeling of better.  The weather unfortunately didn’t improve and after a toilet stop at a very busy road stop and a swap of drivers we were back on the road and getting caught in some delays due to the fog.  At one point it was so heavy that you were lucky to be able to see 3 cars in front and you can see how the mass pile up of car accidents can happen when you sit in this kind of fog.  Apparently there is a welcome to England sign along the road, but it was that foggy we didn’t even get a chance to see that.  We stopped in to see Paps grandparents on our way home and for a quick cuppa and then back on the road again to London.  Paps was given a GPS from his dad for Christmas, so we were giving that a crack on our way back and it was interesting the way that it wanted to take us and what our actual arrival time would be back home.        

Pap’s mum, Sandra and Brian were at the Addleton residence when we got home.  They had spent New Year’s Eve in London and had used the Addlepad while the guys were in Scotland.  They were staying one more night so when we got home dinner was in the oven and ready to be served.  Ahhhhhh Sandra you are a lifesaver!  We were ravenous only having eaten 2 ham rolls that Em had made this morning for the trip.  It is funny I have nearly met all of Justin’s relatives over the course of the week and meeting Em’s parents and all their friends as well.  It was a great week but I must say I am looking forward to a little downtime over the next few days as I am feeling a little burnt out.  I think the last week has finally caught up with me having travelled nearly 19,000km in 8 days.  Today we travelled 800km and it took 11 hours but we did have a stop at Grand ma-ma’s for 45 minutes but otherwise we were on the road all day.  I only fell asleep as we entered London around 7pm and to say I am now tired is a bit cheeky when I didn’t even drive today, but that always seems to be the case.   

I have made one New Year’s resolution.  I don’t normally make them, as I am not a firm believer or believer in them but this year I have made one and that is to keep in touch with my family more.  I have the email addresses of them all and I also have Facebook for some too.  So there is no excuse and I think it is a resolution that I will be able to keep.  Hopefully.   


No comments:

Post a Comment