Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Sunday, January 6, 2013

PAUL AND LIZ GET MARRIED-MY TRIP TO BRIGHTON


Today I am attending the wedding of Liz and Paul.  They are an amazing couple that I met while I was on my South America section of my World Odyssey and we travelled from Lima through to Rio together which was around 10 weeks in total.  The bonus for me was that Kate T was going to be there, she was my tentie for 4 months of the same trip, Kate S was attending and we did 6 weeks and also Mike who did 12 weeks of the trip.  It was going to be like a mini reunion and I was looking forward to the day ahead.      

I woke this morning at 4.30am.  I guess my time clock and possibly some jetlag was kicking in and I was feeling fresh as a daisy.  So I used the time to finish packing and before I knew it, it was 7am and I needed to get moving.  I was going to get breakfast at the station, so I just needed to get my bags into the storage room and get myself down to Paddington Station.  So with this in mind I wanted to be leaving for the station at 8am.  I also had to collet my ticket from the ticket machine and I wanted to make sure I left myself some ‘snafu’ time in case there was a problem.  I took my bags to reception, I have 4.  The monster, my small backpack, the gym bag and the environ bag with the things I would need for tomorrow that I would swap with the clothes I am taking with me today.  So I was told that it would be 2GBP per day per bag!!!  I wouldn’t need them back till the 5th of January making it 10 days-it was going to cost me 80GBP to store them.  That was ridiculous.  I don’t mind paying some money but that was just a rip and I told them as much (nicely).  There were 2 behind the counter, so they had a small discussion and then gave me a price of 20GBP.  There we go, that is much better price and one I was happier to pay.  So with my bags safely delivered I made my way to the station.  I was hungry at this point but I wanted to make sure that I had my tickets before I started fluffing around with breakfast and it is just as well. 

I got to the ticket machine, popped in my credit card and then my confirmation number and as the tickets spat I got an awful feeling in my stomach as I realised that I was at the wrong station to catch my train to Brighton!  It was now 8.15am and I was at Paddington and my train departed from St Pancreas Station at 8.56am.  Holy Cow!  I was travelling on a travel anytime ticket, so it wasn’t the issue of losing my fare but I had Kate S meeting me at Brighton Station and I certainly didn’t want to keep her waiting.  So I had 40 minutes to work out what Tube I needed, I had to get cash from an ATM and then find my way to the right platform at St Pancreas which is massive.  Well little did I know how HUGE Paddington Station was and of course the Hammersmith and Circle line was on the other side of the station, walking seriously 10 minutes, flying past an ATM and getting cash, using my credit card to purchase the Tube ticket to St Pancreas I was sitting on the tube at 8.25am.  I had 5 stops to go through to get to Kings Cross which is connected to St Pancreas and then I had to haul some serious arse once I arrived.  I pulled into KC at 8.40am and then had to find where the hell my train was leaving from.  I had to traverse the whole length of St Pancreas to get to the platforms and it was here I asked a staff member where I had to go which was lucky as I was heading in the wrong direction and I made it to the platform with 4 minutes to spare.  PHEW.  Can you believe I made it?  Talk about a panic start to the day!  I knew when I booked the ticket back in Australia that it left from St P, it just didn’t dawn on me till I got my tickets and that I was at the wrong station.  I am going to blame jet lag on that one.  Clearly and squarely.  Damn jetlag.

The train from London to Brighton took an hour and 15 minutes.  It wasn’t too busy and had the seats to myself for the whole journey.  The weather outside looked dreary though and I am not sure that the jacket I have bought from home will be warm enough, especially as I head to Scotland in a few days.  I may have to head to the shops tomorrow afternoon when I get back to London and see what is around.  At least it is the right time to be buying a jacket, in the English winter.  In my defence it would have been hard to find a jacket in Brisbane as it was 35C when I left there only a few days ago.  Kate S was waiting for me when I arrived and we drove to the Mecure Brighton where Kate T and her mum were staying.  We were going to get ready in their room, as our accommodation for the night was out near the wedding reception 35 minutes away.  I hadn’t seen Kate T since our tour in April and it was great to see her again and to meet her mum.  We decided to have an early lunch as we weren’t 100% sure when we were going to be fed and didn’t want to start drinking with no food in our tummies.  As it worked out this was a very smart idea.

The church was only down the road from the hotel so to give us enough time we decided to leave at 12.30pm for the 1pm service.  Kate T and her mum, Carolyn, were in a car and Kate S and I were in another.  Someone failed to mention to us that the traffic on the esplanade was going to be shocking, not just bad-shocking and that there are a lot of one way streets in Brighton, so after a wrong turn into a square estate- then setting the sat nav and it directing us into a very busy supermarket car park-we asked for directions-got back onto the esplanade and then finally found the school where we could park to find that it was closed!  By this time it was 1.10pm.  We were officially 10 minutes late and just hoped that Liz, the bride, was also stuck in this traffic and that we weren’t going to be too late.  With the gate locked, I did a run to the front of the school to try and find someone, which I couldn’t, the place was locked up like Fort Knox, I went back to the locked gate and the girls were just driving in.  Somehow-some-one in a waiting car had a key and let us in.  Thank goodness.  We then had to hightail it up the street and around the corner to the church and as we climbed the church stairs we were told that the bride was about to arrive!  Hooray-we weren’t late!!!!  When we entered the church we were asked if we knew the bride or the groom and said both-which side of the church needed a numbers boost and we took some seats in the middle-and I think it was the bride’s side.  We waved to Paul as he sat nervously waiting for his bride and we also saw Mike, so with us all sitting together our mini reunion was now complete.   

As we waited for Liz to enter the church I was able to have a look around the beautiful church.  St. Michael's Church (in full, St. Michael and All Angels) is an Anglican church dating from the mid-Victorian era.  It is one of the largest churches in the city of Brighton and Hove. The church is rated in the top 100 churches in the UK and I can see why.  Plans for the church were drawn up in 1858, and construction took place between 1860 and 1861 to a design by George Frederick Bodley (whose father had been a doctor in Brighton and a resident of the Furze Hill area of Hove.  The design of the exterior was reminiscent of the Italianate style, in red brick with horizontal bands of white stone and a steeply pitched slate roof. This featured a modest flèche spire containing a bell recovered from Sevastopol during the Crimean War (1854–1856).  The church took two years to build at a cost of £6,728, and was consecrated by the Bishop of Chichester on 29 September 1862. There was room for a congregation of 700; pew rent was charged on 300 of these seats at first.  No payment for us today to witness the union between Liz and Paul and I don’t think there is a better part of any wedding than your first glimpse of the bride and Liz was no exception.  She was stunning.  The service went for around 45 minutes and with a choir singing the hymns and the use of the church’s organ; it was just amazing to be part of the whole service.  We weren’t allowed to take any photos inside the church (photographer’s request) but once the ceremony was finished and we stood outside to farewell the happy couple I took some to catch up.  It was cold outside, and windy, but Liz battled the elements and didn’t pop a coat on from the church to the car the poor thing, but boy she was beautiful. 

There was to be drinks at the reception venue at 3pm, which was about a 30 minute drive away.  So we has an hour to get there from Brighton and based on our knowledge of the area and with the debacle we had getting to the church, we were a little more wise and made sure we had the address and everything we needed for the drive.  So our plan was to drive to our accommodation, check-in, drop off our bags, leave Kate S’s car at the accommodation and then we were going to get a lift with them to the reception.  As it turned out Mike was also staying at the same pub-so this plan worked in well for everyone.  Even though the sat nav had given us the run around this morning it is what we relied on to get us to Newick and it didn’t let us down this time.  The Bull on the Green is a pub, restaurant and bed & breakfast in the heart of the Sussex countryside situated right on the Green in the East Sussex village of Newick.  The accommodation was renovated garage/stables out the rear of the pub and our room was on the ground floor and had 2 double beds.  This would do us just fine for the night.        

By the time we had found the pub, checked in, and arrive at the reception venue it was nearly 4pm but when we walked through the door, our jackets were taken and then we walked into a large room that had a log fire roaring, the bar was located in the adjoining room that had a magnificent Christmas tree and then there were small rooms that branched off that.  One of the finest traditions to be found in England is that of the country house, and what an amazing country house this was. 
Newick Park is one of the few homes to still be privately owned and it shows with its fabulous antiques and wonderful staff.  The lovely Georgian house is Grade II listed and is surrounded by its own private park of 255 acres with the most fabulous views over the lake and nearby South Downs.  It was just about dark when we arrived so we didn’t get to see too much of the grounds but it was a beautiful house.  There are sixteen bedrooms which are individually designed, but cost wise and the lateness of Kate and I booking accommodation we were staying at The Bull 10 minutes away.

The theme of the wedding was winter and Christmas and the venue reflected that.  From the beautiful Christmas trees, Christmas decorations, the cake had snowflakes, the colour theme was the Tiffany blue colour and when we made it into the dining room our table settings included our name tag with snowflakes and a bonbon to crack.  The ‘South American’ crew were a little shocked that the seating arrangements had Kate S and I on one table and the other 3 on another table but in saying that we had a nice evening with the other 4 people we had on our table and after dinner we were able to hang back together.  I do need to mention that the food was amazing and the service of the staff was exceptional.  Kate S and I had to take a break from the wine as it just kept getting topped up all night so much so that nobody had to reach for a bottle themselves, seriously not once, and not just the wine, the water was also kept topped all night.  It is hard to remember when I have seen service like that, in a long time.  After dinner the DJ kicked in and the dance floor was laid.  Paul and Liz are known for their taste in 80’s music and movies and local bands and the music played represented this and it was a great way to finish off a wonderful day.  I hate to say that my jetlag was catching up with me at 11pm and after saying our good-bye’s Kate S, Mike and I got a lift back to the pub and then Kate T and Carolyn continued back to Brighton to their hotel. 

So my heart felt CONGRATULATIONS goes to Liz and Paul.  Thank you for letting me share in your day and I wish you all the happiness in the world as you keep embarking on your life together.
To Mr and Mrs Paul Mills
xx       

No comments:

Post a Comment