Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Sunday, January 20, 2013

FINAL DAY AT SEA AND OF THE CRUISE


I am still sleeping weirdly and with the dresser lights on.  I was lucky last night, one of the bulbs blew, so it dimmed the room considerably and I did get a better sleep.  I haven’t slept in a room with a window for the last 11 nights, so it's a little strange to not see what time of day it is and have no idea on what the weather is doing outside.  I had a windowless room in London, a windowless room in Barcelona and then the last 8 nights of the cruise-it is very disorientating to say the least. 

I’m glad that our last day is a sea day and not a port day.  It just lets you unwind that last minute without the pressures and constraints of time.  There seems to be a lot of new faces on the ship that we picked up in Malaga.  It would be interesting to know just how many people disembarked and how many boarded.  You spot the ‘newbies’ a mile off as they have the deck plan in their hands and they have a look of ‘where the hell are we’ on their faces.  I have a kind of smug feeling knowing where everything is and knowing my way around the ship and how it all works.  Pffftttt, newbies!!!  In saying that though, during the week there were people still getting lost that had boarded in Barcelona-after 5 days……  I must say there were a few places on the ship that I didn’t go into, most of the eating venues, but I did know where they all were. 

I had breakfast at 9am and this morning and it was a very smart move as there was an influx of people at 10am on my way out, so I was lucky today I missed the car wreck of breakfast with all the ‘newbies’ learning how to use the drink and coffee machines.  And to answer your question, they had cream and it was fluffy pancakes again for breakfast.  I know that I have probably put on some weight on the cruise, but I have tried to choose my food smartly but at the end of the day I should just make the most of what is in front of me as there will be nothing like that in Kenya.  Sure I am sure I could go to a 5 star hotel for a breakfast, but firstly it won’t be the same thing and it will cost me an arm and a leg.  I may do that as a treat to myself if I totally feel down, but there won’t be this where I am heading.  It is funny I have used that attitude since going home in August, so I have just eaten like a maniac the last 5 months-but in my defence I was heading to Africa in September and that fell through.  So I know I have definitely wacked on some weight since August, but hopefully once I get into a routine, cooking healthy food and maybe even throw in some exercise I will be able to shift some of that when I settle.  Just think I have basically been ‘eating out’ for the last 22 months, so really it is kudos to me for not being bigger than what I am right?  I mean that is a lot of takeaway meals-based on 3 meals a day-that’s 1848 meals.  I feel bad, I don’t feel healthy, but again I hope to rectify that in the coming months. 

As routine predicts I was in Galaxy of the Stars after breakfast to blog and watch the 10am salsa class.  It is SO cold in there I have my scarf up around my head and my cardie on, my jacket on my knees and socks on my feet.  I wonder why they keep it so cold in here-it’s been like this all week.  Maybe it’s for the exercisers?  I don’t know but flip its cold.  It was busier up here than usual with all the newcomers and I am now thinking that the ship mustn’t have been full when we did our first 8 days, as it certainly seems a lot busier today than any other day so far.  The average age hasn’t changed and we are still in that 60+ age group.  I don’t think I even thought about the age demographic when I booked the cruise.  Not that it would have mattered as I still would have booked on this cruise anyway.  A lot of the passengers are Europeans getting away from their prospective winters.  I guess the coldness of the lounge for them is nice and cosy when the temperatures in Germany or Denmark are 0 degrees.  Maybe I am just a hot blooded person from the southern part of the world? 

So today is the last day of the cruise.  I got a picture email from Shelly today of Zoe doing her seal experience that she got for her birthday from Aunty Sandy and it just bought a tear to my eye.  Gosh I miss those guys so much it actually makes my heart hurt a little.  With Africa looming it really makes me think now what I am actually giving up and what a big step I am undertaking.  I have been so good for the last 8 days being in my own company, in my own head, but today something has just flipped and I am tearing up at the drop of a hat.  I really don’t know what is wrong with me.  I am missing home but I guess it is a lot of things, some of them I can’t change and things that I just can’t foresee for my arrival into Kenya, the unknown.  I find myself under a really dark cloud and I hope that I will be able to move it in the coming days.  Am I feeling sorry for myself?  I don’t think so-there are a lot of people that would die to be in my shoes, I know that.  I am lucky-but it doesn’t mean that I am not fighting my own demons that surface every now and then.  After all I am only human I suppose.  I updated my Facebook status:
“No one said it was going to be easy-that just promised it would be worth it. I am finding that a little hard to grasp the last few days. I am so down and crying at the drop of a hat-what is wrong with me? 5 days till Africa-let’s hope my mood improves .......” and it is exactly how I felt.     

I used the afternoon to have a good cry and then I had to pack.  I really did have stuff from one end of the cabin to the other.  Linda must think I was a total pig not even having unpacked properly, literally-I didn’t even store my ‘monster’ backpack away, it just sat at the base of my bed the whole week.  Oh well it was an organised chaos, I knew where everything was, well most of the time.  The main thing I seemed to keep misplacing was the damn TV remote.  I got 90% of my stuff packed I will try and zip the monster after the show tonight so I can out the clothes I am wearing in the bag before I have to out it outside my cabin before midnight tonight for it to be collected.  You did have the option of taking it off the ship yourself at any time, but I would be crazy to do that with the monster.  I had the lime sticker on my bag, which was the last possible departure you can have off the ship of 8.45am.  I need to try and keep my departure as late as I can as I am pretty sure my hotel room won’t be ready at 9.30am-but I will still try and ask.  I did keep the airlines ‘HEAVY’ tag on my bag, so hopefully some porter guy won’t pull out his back moving that thing later tonight.  This is the second last time will have to pack.  That is one thing I WILL NOT MISS and that is all the packing, especially this section as I have all the extra clothes and bags with me.  It really has been a nightmare and cost me some money, but not knowing when I will get my belongings sent over, I needed to make sure I had enough stuff with me to keep me going for a while. 

The final show in the theatre the cruise was a guy named Andy Buenger.  He is a musician but not just any old musician he can play over 15 instruments!  He played 7 for us in the show including the marimba (like a xylophone), vibraphone, the panpipes, the steel guitar, drums, saxophone and trumpet.  He played well known tunes with all the instruments and he was backed with the amazing Norwegian Spirit 6 piece band and it was a great show.  I think the 2 highlights for me was the marimba.  He can play that thing like no tomorrow and he said the song that he just played had 1250 stokes in the 2 minute song.  He told us that he looked for a song that had more strokes than that and he couldn’t find one-BUT he did find a song that had 1200 strokes in ONE minute and he played that with illuminated sticks and with the theatre lights dimmed we could see just how fast he was moving those sticks.  It was incredible and to show my state of mind, it bought tears to my eyes.  Now why would that make you cry?  The second was Andy played a ‘drum off’ with the drummer from the band and it was so cool as they played together in time, then they played separate and then joined up again, t was well choreographed.  You could see the band drummer was tickled pink with his 5 minutes of fame and also looked like he enjoyed the opportunity.  Andy was a very clever man and you need to add in the 4 languages he knew and spoke in during the show.  It was a SENSATIONAL way to finish the cruise  The last show of the 9 nights on board and out of those 9 nights I think there were only 2 ‘ordinary shows’ the rest were incredible.  Well done on act selection NCL.  Well done.   

On my way back to my cabin I stopped at the reception desk for the first time as I wanted to check about the gratuities.  In Australia when you book they add the gratuities to the cost of your cruise fare.  I think Australian may have a bad reputation as bad tippers as we don’t have to do it in our country, so I can see why they do do it that way and I don’t mind.  I am a tipper and the staff certainly deserve the money.  They work like dogs and long hours and time away from their families.  Some of the staff have small children that are being cared for my grandparents or the other spouse.  It is a tough life.  So no I don’t mind paying the tips.  NCL have a policy that will automatically add 15USD per day to your account and I wanted to check that I wasn’t going to be paying the tip twice.  As it worked out, it wasn’t on their and my total bill came to 426USD.  It seems quite high for someone that didn’t buy a single drink the whole time, except for my soda package on day one of the cruise of 65USD, but 155USD was internet usage and I know it seems a lot, but that was my ‘thing’.  People drank, people played the pokies, people paid the fancy restaurants, I paid for internet.  I mainly did it to keep my blog updated, as I was able to catch up on my blogs and I wanted to load them as they were completed and of course some Facebooking to keep me in the land of the living.  And the last of the bill was the 3 shore excursions.  If my bill was 426USD with no drinks, what did peoples account look like that did drink?  That people is where the cruise companies make their money.  I can guarantee that people will be shocked to see their bill and when it is double checked that it is actually all correct.  I did a cruise with a buddy back in April 2011 of the Mediterranean on a MSC cruise and we had a drinking week on board the ship and my bill after 7 days was 1200AUD!!!  Now that was a MASSIVE bill and I knew it would be big, but that was 2 months into my Odyssey and I my budget was getting hammered in the first 8 weeks!!!!  Let’s just say a lot of alcohol was consumed on that cruise. 

I have to say I have enjoyed the cruise, but I am looking forward to getting back to Barcelona in the morning.  I have 3 days there to repack and prepare myself mentally for my last leg.  I have been so down the last few days and I really don’t know what is wrong.  I think I am ready to plant these travelling feet for a while and starting my new chapter.  5 days till I leave and I am nervous as hell.

So it’s good night one last time from the Norwegian Spirit and I’ll see you in Barcelona in the morning. 


No comments:

Post a Comment