Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

LANZAROTE CANCELLED AS STORM FRONT MOVES IN


Another busy day with a full day tour booked including a buffet lunch.  Well so we thought.  This morning was the first morning that my alarm woke me up, and yes I am still sleeping with a light on, so I must admit my sleeps aren’t quite fitful-but I did have that slight heart attack when I was in London in a windowless room (they are cheaper) and I woke at 10 thinking it was am but it was pm.  It is an awful feeling-being disorientated and you would think after all this travel I would be used to it.  I guess not. 

I was looking forward to my pancakes and cream this morning and of course I still wanted my eggs and sausage as well.  It is hard when you are eating on your own in the buffet restaurant because if you need to leave the table to go and get another drink or more food, the waiters swoop in on your table to clear it and if it’s busy people will take your table thinking that you have finished.  I don’t have anyone to stay put while I go and get things.  It can be hard at times but maybe it has helped me not getting a second helping of something, but not this morning.  I had all my stuff with me that I needed for the day tour, including a jacket, so I was able to leave the jacket and my first course on the table and then head in to get my pancakes and cream.  When I came back and finally sat down it dawned on me that we didn’t seem to be anywhere near port and it was 7.30am.  We could see land, but it was a long way off, hmmmmm I wonder what was happening to be late again!!!  Well we didn’t have to wait long.  An announcement came at 8am from the Captain, which at first I couldn’t quite hear and didn’t understand much of what was said except at the end he said enjoy your day on Norwegian Spirit….. Something in that statement didn’t sound right…..  And then the announcement was repeated by the cruise director which I could understand better.  Basically our port of call to Lanzarote had been cancelled due to high winds in the port and the possibility of a storm front this afternoon of winds up to 35-40 knots which I would assume would make us getting out of the port a nil impossibility.  We were also going to cruise at 20mph as to try and miss the storm front we were heading into and were told it may get rough this afternoon and to be extra cautious walking around the ship.  It sounded ominous but as I made my way back from breakfast there were spew bags already adorning tables and banisters throughout the ship.  It must be serious.

It was a bummer that we weren’t stopping at Lanzarote as it was one of the places I was looking forward to.  My silver lining was it was the most expensive shore excursion so it will be refunded to my account and there are people worse off than I.  Think of the domino effect of a ship not coming into port.  The staff on the ship don’t get any time off-I bet they must look forward to it no matter how long or short.  My steward, Linda, got off the ship for only 1.5 hours yesterday but she said it was great and she went and had McDonalds.  There are the tour operators that aren’t getting the clients which in turn no work for the locals and tips.  What do they do about the supply of food?  They hadn’t counted on having 2000 people on board at sea-do they have extra provisions for something like this or do they dip into food that was for Barcelona and then pick up extra food in Malaga?  What about the food suppliers in Lanzarote?  I am sure that the ship must be stocked with supplies from there-whether it be food, alcohol, supplies or the dumping of waste or rubbish.  Maybe there is a ship stuck there and can’t get out till the winds die down?  Where is our Costa ship?  So looking at all of the above-it seems like a logistical nightmare to cancel a port, so I am sure it is a difficult decision to make.  Not to mention some unhappy clients on the ship.  I haven’t seen any, but I am sure there must be some whingers out there that have said their piece.  I don’t understand people like that.  The decision has been made to keep us safe and the ship in one piece (especially after the track record of this particular ship) and it is the same when flights are delayed due to weather or mechanical faults-it is for their own safety and I just cannot believe that people don’t look at the bigger picture when these things crop up and unfortunately that is the beast of travelling.  Not everything is going to go to plan-things go wrong, planes are delayed, storms come and go, taxis have strikes in the city where you actually need one and a multitude of other things that are out of your control.  Touchwood I have been EXTREMELY lucky on my whole Odyssey that I had no major setbacks.  A few things here and there like the date change of my Galapagos cruise, missing a flight in Cairo heading to Nairobi, the cancellation of one of my internal flights in South America but in the scheme of how much I travelled, again touchwood, I have been lucky.  The last thing is the new activities on the ship now that we had a day at sea.  They must have contingency plans like this, I am sure it is not the first time that a port has been cancelled and I must admit, again they work fast and a new schedule was up within the hour.     

So another day at sea.  What was I going to do today?  I’ll get cracking on my Madeira blog-it’s a biggie-so I may as well tackle that while I can.  So with my computer in my bag I made my way up Galaxy of the Stars lounge and ‘my’ spot was already taken, but I think that worked out okay as I feel there is a lot of pressure sitting there as you are up on a small stage and people look at you every time they walk into that part of the lounge.  Too much pressure, so I found a nook at the back of the lounge that had a table and if I needed a power point to boot and more room to spread my crap.  I had also bought up my dairy as I needed to also update that and that would happen once my battery went flat on the computer.  I knew my Madeira blog was a biggie but man it took me 2.5 hours to pump that puppy out but there is a relief and a feeling of accomplishment every time I finish an entry and this one was no different.  I used my satellite account to upload and realised I was getting low on minutes.  I will have to purchase some more credit and I was in a quandary on which package to buy.  Another 100USD got me 250 minutes or 55USD for 100 minutes.  I try and limit my access to 30 minutes a day, based on 4 more days at sea; I went with the 55USD package and hope that it will see me through to the end of the cruise.  It will be funny to see my account at the end of the cruise.  I don’t have a single alcoholic drink on my account.  I have 3 shore excursions, a soft drink package I purchased on day one of the cruise and the internet credits.  I wonder if I am the lowest account they have EVER had for a 9 night cruise?  The only way someone can beat me is to have done no shore excursions, which is possible with the oldies and to have not used the internet, which is probably a pretty good bet that they certainly would be doing 100USD worth.  So I guess it is possible for someone to beat me.  But it would be close, I’m willing to wage.       
 
It is a week today till I start my last journey to Africa next week.  It is a yahoo and an ahhhh moment all at the same time.  I am now getting butterflies when I think about it.  I hadn’t really hit me yet as I was doing so much before I got to Kenya.  The good news is I have a friend picking me up when I arrive, so that has settled my nerves a little bit and it will be nice to see a friendly face as soon as I arrive.  It feels like I left Australia months ago and not just 19 days ago.  That really is insane, but I guess I have done so much in those 19 days that it seems longer to me.  I have all these stats in my diary and it was good to read over them.  Today is my 574th day of actually travelling.  It’s not counting the 2 trips I have had home, if I count them that makes it a total of 658 days.  I left Australia on the 29th March 2011.  To think that I am coming up to a 2 year anniversary of travelling on my Odyssey is surreal to me as the trip only originally started out as a 12 month gig, which extended to 14 months and then  added on the USA and ended up being 19 months.  I was always planning on coming home, I never in my wildest dreams expected that my life would change that much and that I would be moving to Africa.  The thought never crossed my mind.  After talking to my BF Shelly, she said she knew deep down that I wouldn’t be back to live, that I would find something or someone, and that I wasn’t going to be moving back.  She said that is why she was so sad the first time that I left.  It is funny what people see that you just quite have the picture yourself, just yet. 

Lunch was busy today-like grannies and poppies everywhere and it was difficult to get a seat inside or outside.  The sun was out but there was still a small nip in the air.  The sea was rough but so far not too bad-certainly nothing to warrant any sea sickness bags at least.  I think all the British passengers were thankful for the day at sea as they all seemed to be crammed around all the available TV’s to watch a football match.  I was just reading my book at the table after lunch when some old folk asked if they could join me as I was smack bang in front of a large TV.  I told them I was done anyway and let them have the table.  I went to the library to see if there were any books available at the book swap shelves.  On the first day there were a bevy of books and I took one (whoops I didn’t swap) but today there was not much left and what was there was in Dutch.  There was one book in English and can you believe that I had read before.  What are the odds of all the books in the world, the only one left was one that I had read.  Priceless.  Then I remembered I had my Kindle so I will just use that.  I was back to the cabin at 2pm and chillaxed and watched the Bourne Identity on TV.  I really have a craving for nachos and can you believe out of all the places to eat on the ship they don’t have nachos on the menu.  There are pay restaurants that you can eat at like the Sushi Bar which is a-la-carte, La Trattoria 15USD-Italian, Shogun 15USD Asian fusion, Le Bistro 20USD French, Cagney’s 25USD Steakhouse and Teppanyaki 25USD Japanese.  No Mexican.  Bugger.

7pm came and it was time to head to the show.  Duo Amore was the act tonight and they were a French act from Paris.  They were, I guess you would call acrobats/dancers.  There was just the 2 of them, a male and a female, and their opening act started on the ribbon cloths suspended from the ceiling. And he was wrapped in one.  She was definitely a dancer, classical trained as she went right up onto her toes and the first time I saw it I ooooooo’d out loud.  To see some-one actually do that pose is an incredible sight.  She was SO flexible and she also did a solo routine on a hoop suspended from the roof and it was just awe inspiring.  Also taking into account the roll of the ship, as it was rough outside, they were true professionals.  There was one move they all did that made the whole audience gasp and that was when he had her over his head and she was in a ball position, with her hands grabbing her feet and then he let her go and she dropped over his head and he stopped her hitting the ground with his thighs and feet.  WHAT A MOVE.  They also threw in some Dancing with the Stars routines and the Dirty Dancing lift.  His upper body strength was remarkable as he had a few routines on his own with the ribbons and busted a few great moves himself.  They truly were INCREDIBLE.  They then continued to WOW the audience for 40 minutes to an amazing end to them both on the ribbon swinging around in stage all dressed in white.  She looked amazing as she had a twig figure and he was very deliciously built and shirtless wearing those ballet tights that just magnify the crotch area.  What a GREAT show! 

At the end of the performance the cruise director mentioned that FourEver were going to be performing tomorrow night which surprised me and then I remembered that they were supposed to get off at Lanzarote today, the poor buggers.  So I guess why not do another show if they are on board.  That’s a win for us as they were also amazing.  Hands down I would have said they were the best act of the week so far…until tonight-now I’m not sure who I would pick.  Well done NCL for getting some quality up on stage. 

For dinner I just couldn’t stomach another buffet, so I decided to head to the Blue Lagoon Café.  This serves what they call snack food (included in your cruise price) till 4am in the morning.  You still get a choice of starter, main and dessert if you wish and it just felt like I was having a normal meal.  I am finding the buffet is serving the same food every day in regards to the main staples of the pasta, salads and the ‘American’ section and I have not really liked the looks of the other hot food they have been serving.  They do have the carvery that has a new meat every lunch and dinner, so I have pretty much been sticking to that and salads-but I just needed a change.  So with a won ton soup for a starter and English fish and chips for main I felt half human again and made my way back to my cabin.  We had to wind our watches forward an hour before we went to bed tonight so now it was 10pm already-just like that.

I was feeling a little blue tonight.  Don’t get me wrong I am still enjoying my cruise.  I haven’t seen the English couple or my Danish couple since day 2 but I’m okay with that, that’s not the issue.  But I think the reality of what I am about to embark on is starting to kick in and then I miss everyone back home and I was thinking about my mum and I gave Zeme a minute of my time as well and it just made me a little blue and a little reflective.  I think we all need that sometimes and it makes me more determined to appreciate each day I have and to know that tomorrow is a new day and life keeps on rolling along, literally at the moment as the ship is in some pretty rough waters.  With those thoughts in my head I went to sleep with the image of pancakes and cream in the morning.  See I’m feeling better already.     


No comments:

Post a Comment