Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Monday, January 7, 2013

18,721KM IN 5 DAYS=TIREDNESS


I was so tired last night that the second my head hit the pillow I was fast asleep.  And what a great sIeep it was.  We didn’t wake up too badly at all after all the wine we consumed and both Kate S and I were glad we got a few waters in after the main course last night, as it could have been a lot messier.  I think I either maybe getting older or maybe just wiser with my drinking not wanting to have ‘that’ feeling the next day when you wake up feeling like crap.  It’s an awful feeling and I think I have only had it once when I was home and previous to that it would have been my Scotland trip-we drank like fish on that tour.  I was booked on a 12.03pm train from Brighton back to London today, so we had a leisurely breakfast at 9.30am with Mike and then we were on the road at 10.45am for the 35 minute dive back to town.    

After saying goodbye to Kate S at the station and the promise to catch up again during the week, I only had 20 minutes to wait till my train left.  It was perfect timing all round really.  The train was uneventful and I went back the same way that I had come down the day before.  The weather seemed colder today and as we travelled through the cold and damp countryside I really wasn’t able to see much with the fog hanging low over the fields.  I am not sure I could live in London based on their winter weather-but even if I did want to I think I am too old now anyway.  It’s funny the thoughts that run through your head when you have the time to contemplate.

I arrived into St Pancreas at 1.30pm connecting onto the Tube back to Paddington and finally the hotel again at 2pm.  My booking yesterday was in a twin room, so it was a large room on the lower ground, it was cheaper than the double that night.  Tonight I was in a double and I was back to the small size which basically had a double bed, a small cubicle bathroom and just enough room to swing a cat.  The rooms are small, but they are new and in great locations.  Tune Hotels.com is a “limited service” hotel chain claims to provide a claimed “5-star sleeping experience at a 1-star price” accommodation.  Tune Hotels claims it is aiming for 100 hotels in its global portfolio by 2015.  The limited service model used by Tune Hotels is similar to the no frills business model practiced by low-cost carriers such as AirAsia and has been adapted to the hospitality industry.  As with 'low-cost carriers', Tune Hotels limited service and pay-as-you-use of add-ons concept omits many traditional hospitality services. Instead, services and extras are offered on a pay-as-you-go basis, including toiletries, 12 or 24 hours air-conditioning, TV and internet access and also single or double occupancy.  For tonight I paid 50GBP for the night, which for a new single rom in the heart of Paddington is not a bad price at all.  When I went back to reception to collect the single bag to swap my clothes around for my trip to Scotland in the morning I was told that the hotel chain is opening 3 hotels in Australia next year.

Even though I was tired.  The jacket I had bought with me was not going to cut the mustard up in Scotland, so I decided to take a walk to Oxford Street, which is only a 15 minute walk and look for a new jacket.  There are 2 shops in Oxford Street that are for the ‘fuller’ woman and I was able to find a suitable one in the first shop which was a bonus for me as I really didn’t have my mojo for shopping and I really don’t have the room to be adding more clothes to my bags.  Proud?  I am proud of me, so after having a good look around the store, buying the jacket, I was on my way back to the hotel where I was going to mini repack and then hunker down for the night. 

I have finally used all my credit on my Australian sim card so I am now back on my UK sim again.  I have found the network ‘Orange’ pretty good with coverage and costs and was happy to be using them again.  I still owe Rach T from my Contiki tour money for topping up my Vodafone account last year as they wouldn’t accept foreign credit cards online.  Big, big mistake and a pain in my arse as I had to hit up all my British travellers to top up my credit and then give them money in the local currency where we were.  Paul and Liz were also big cash cards for me as well.  I am sure I won’t have issues in Spain and as for the cruise I am sure when I am in the islands I will be okay and then when I get into Kenya I will be getting a local sim card there.  Ahhhh the joys of keeping in touch while on the road.

I did some last minute photo loads and then made plans to meet up with my United Hostees next week and also to see Kate again on Saturday.  I know there are a lot more people I know in London and who I would like to catch up with, but time and energy are just not on my side on this trip.  I knew I would be busy for the first few days of getting here, but seeing it all on paper and then actually putting it all into action is a different story.  So in 5 days I would travel 17,799km to London, 142km from London to Brighton return and then tomorrow I would be travelling 780km to a small village on the west coast of Scotland called Taynuilt.  That is 18,721km-not a bad feat in 5 days.  No wonder I am feeling a little tired. 

So it’s a goodnight from London town from a weary traveller.  I am looking forward to 3 nights in one place tomorrow, a great new year with new friends (hopefully they are all nice and they like me) and what will bring in hopefully an exciting new year for me full of love, laughter, compassion and adventure. 

Tomorrow is the last day of 2012.  

No comments:

Post a Comment