Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2012 WHAT A YEAR FOR ME IN SO MANY WAYS


Today is the last day of 2012.

What a year it has been for me. 

From continuing my travels for another 12 months, meeting who I thought was the love of my life and the subsequent breakup, visiting my mums grave for the first time since her passing, catching up with family members I haven’t seen in years including meeting my new nephew for the first time, visiting home after 14 months and seeing all my friends again, saying goodbye after 7 weeks, the giving away of every single thing I own (including my mums furniture) and then my final goodbye to Australia for an unknown amount of time-it has been an amazing year of highs and lows.  Throw into the mix all the UNBELIEVABLE people I have met, counties I have seen and the way, last 12 months has shaped me and led me to the realisation that I wanted to move to Africa and be part of a bigger picture.  What that picture is, remains to be seen.  I am moving to a continent where I only know a handful of people.  I am leaving a home I love, friends I LOVE, family I have just reconnected with and a life I know and will miss.  Yes 2012 has been a great year but I believe that 2013 will be an even greater year for me.  It will be challenging and hopefully a satisfying year-I would like to give back to a world that has been good to me over my travels and I hope that I will find my ‘home’ somewhere on the great continent of Africa.  It still hasn’t sunk in yet, the magnitude of what I am doing, and it probably won’t until I land in Kenya on the 21st January. 

The thing that surprised me the most was my resilience.  2012 made me a stronger person than what I gave myself credit for.  With the very public breakup of Zeme and I and the support that I got from all my friends and from people that I haven’t heard from in a long time was very humbling to say the least and I am truly grateful to everyone I have in my life.  To the people who read my blog, the people who send messages, the people that do the simple task of liking a photo on Facebook and for all the virtual shoulders I got comfort from-I could not have got through this without you all.  Just like the passing of my mum and the process of my divorce-you guys have always been there for me and I am lucky.  After all my travelling I have a new appreciation for the world we live in and just how lucky we have it.  Things that don’t kill us make us stronger and I take comfort in the fact that Happiness will always Follow Sadness, no matter what and I have friends by my side all over the world that are there for me.  For this I am grateful.  2012 has taught me a lot of things. 

All that being said, as I did last year I have to go through my travel highlights of the year that was.

Seeing the moon through a 40,000USD telescope in La Serena, Chile-amazing
The spectacular Perito Moreno Glacier in El Calafate, Argentina
The stunning city of Buenos Aires - we got 10 wonderful nights in this city 
Telling the world about Zeme becoming my boyfriend in Pucon
The stunning Torres Del Paine National Park
The thundering Iguassu Falls with the helicopter ride and the amazing Bird Park
The scenic city of Rio de Janeiro
Rio Carnival 2012 was incredible
Getting 'inked' in Addis Ababa with Zeme
The grand castles of Camelot in Gondar
The rock strewn churches of Lalibela-amazing structures
Hand feeding a Colobus Monkey in Awassa
Hand feeding wild hyenas in Harar
Hacking through the Brazilian Amazon jungle
Seeing the disappointing Angel Falls-Venezuela but the National Park was AMAZING
Speed boating over Lake Maracaibo the largest lake in South America-Venezuela
Spending the day in the flood plains of Los Llanos and seeing Kappa Barra’s
The stunning Tayrona National Park and beaches-Colombia
The historic and beachside town of Cartagena-Colombia
Holding the amazing creature called a Sloth
The longest truck day of the trip from Cartagena to Bucaramanga of 18.5 hours-Colombia
2 nights on a Colombian coffee plantation
The Saturday Otavalo Markets-Ecuador
Crossing of the ‘real Equator’ line-Ecuador
The conclusion of my 5 month Tucan South American overland trip
My incredible 4 days on Easter Island-the Moai are awe inspiring
The pure white beaches on the Caribbean Island of Barbados
An African sunset-no matter what country you are in
Meeting and making life ling friends- this a top MMM
The beautiful city of Ottawa-Canada and visiting The Canadian Mint and holding a 15kg gold bar
Getting some cottage time with my Contiki Scandi gals xx
Seeing a Cirque du Soleil show in Montreal where the show was created and started
The stunning French-Canadian city of Quebec
The city of Chicago was amazing and a cocktail from the 95th floor-I LOVE Chicago
Roof top patios in Minneapolis
Sunbaking for a week in the Las Vegas sun-the brownest I have EVER been with a great mate
A bike through Venice Beach-Los Angeles- that’s the way they roll there
6 glorious weeks at home with my BEST friend, God-daughters and friends
Seeing Tower Bridge with the Olympic rings hanging from it
Visiting the National History Museum in London for the Scott's Antarctic Exhibition
The seaside town of Brighton-England-so beautiful and the BBQ we had on the beach
Seeing a 5,000 year old village on the island of Orkney-Scotland
Visiting the most Westerly part of Scotland-The Butt of Lewis-the wind was gale force
Seeing the Callendish Stones-Stornoway-Scotland-mini Stonehenge to touch
The Isle of Skye was breath taking-a piece of heaven on earth
Getting to tour inside Dunrobin Castle still owned by the original family after hundreds of years
After 65 international flights the flight from hell on Ethiopian Airlines from London to Addis Ababa
Reunited with Zeme again for 9 precious days-it was still a good stay and worth a mention
The Blue Nile Falls in Ethiopia-in full flow with all the rain and the dam was open
Officially 22 days behind in my blog and 11 days to update while in Phuket-Thailand
Catching up with my best friends SA and Shelly and my God-daughters in Phuket for a wedding
My fabulous 14 days in Sri Lanka as a whole and my AMAZING group and tour leader
My introduction in the religion of Buddhism-it resonated with me
My 2 day hike through Sri Lankan tea plantations was a personal challenge for me
Climbing the ancient rock fortress of Sigiray-this was also a personal challenge-and I DID IT
The beautiful beaches of Marissa-Sri Lanka
The beautiful beaches of Boracay in the Philippines-stunning
Standing 1m away from the world’s smallest primate the Tarsier-Cebu/Philippines
The entire country of Nepal
Getting my tattoo in Pokhara-the wheel of life and the saying Happiness Always Follows Sadness
Getting a firsthand glance at the Himalaya Mountains and Mt Everest on a scenic flight
Sunrise of the Himalaya’s at Pokhara
The ancient cities of Patan and Durban
The tourist area of Thamel-the vibe and the souvenirs are like nowhere else-Nepal
My 5 weeks back home for my birthday and for Christmas were precious
Attending the wedding of Paul and Liz in Brighton-great to catch up with fellow SA travellers
…and even though it hasn’t happened yet, if I can’t be home, then spending my New Year with Emma and Justin is the next best thing……………..

What a year it has been.

So with all that said there was still one more day in 2012 to finish and I was in Scotland with precious friends I know and a group of their friends I didn’t.  I took Emma’s advice and I did sleep till I couldn’t sleep anymore and I woke at 11am.  Em’s parent’s house is massive.  It is a 300 year old home that has a lot of character and being on the 3rd floor I couldn’t hear a thing of what was happening anywhere else.  I just hoped that I wasn’t the last one out of bed.  Not knowing the ‘Brit/Scot’ etiquette about coming to breakfast in your PJ’s or not, I decided to have a shower and change before heading down.  I would hate to rock up and they were all dressed and I looked/ felt like Annie.  As it worked out I was the only one that was dressed, so I was glad I erred on the side of caution anyway.  My timing was impeccable as bacon and eggs were being cooked and I had a plate in front of me within 10 minutes of arriving and a steaming hot tea to wash it all down with. 

The good or bad thing about sleeping so late is that the day just passes so quickly.  I find it more so when the sun goes down at 4pm, it always seems later than what it is.  Well I guess we had to rest up for tonight’s shenanigans.  Paps bother Jamie, Jamie’s girlfriend Fiona and sister, Kirstie arrived just after 12 noon and now the NYE gang was complete.  There were 19 of us including Emma’s mum Rosie and her dad Robert so I was guessing it was going to be a great night and then later in the afternoon I found out that we all had to don something out of the Inverawe dress up box and that bought a tear to my eye as that is something that we would have done back home.  It is funny as I was given a pair of Lady Ga Ga glasses for Christmas from SA which I had bought with me, the merry-oke machine and also the nerd glasses-so I was well equipped for a bit of fancy dress.  I was told that I still had to get something out of the box and I was lucky I was first in and grabbed a Nepalese looking jacket that fit, as a lot of the clothes in there were from Emma and her sister’s childhood when they were younger, it was all a size 6 wardrobe. 

Paps had lined up with the neighbour to go clay shooting at 2.30pm.  Clay pigeon shooting, also known as clay target shooting, and formally known as Inanimate Bird Shooting, is the art of shooting at special flying targets, known as clay pigeons or clay targets, with a shotgun or any type of firearm.  The terminology commonly used by clay shooters often relates to times past, when live-pigeon competitions were held. Although such competitions were made illegal in the UK in 1921, a target is still called a "target" or "bird", a hit is referred to as a "hit" or "kill", a missed target might be described as a "bird away" and the machine which projects the targets is known as a "trap".  It sounded very British (Scottish) and something cool to do on New Year’s Eve.  So we all rugged up, I was given a pair of wellies to tackle the muddy ground, this was one job the Crocs were not up for, and we headed out for a 15 minute walk to a clearing near one of the lochs of the area.  As there were so many of us and we were going to be using live ammunition it was decided we would stand on the grassy knoll, well the hill, where the clay targets were being shot from, for our safety and then 2 people at a time would go down for their shots.  The view from here was breath taking.  Scotland never fails to impress me each time I have come.  This is my third trip and it is just a piece of heaven on earth, cold, but heaven all the same.  I was all keen at the start for the shoot, but as the time ticked on, the light was going bad and figured I was actually okay not having a go and letting people who really wanted to, go before me.  Freddie, the neighbour was down there reloading the gun and giving advice and when it was a girl’s turn, holding them upright as they fired.  When we were getting down to final numbers you could see a weather front moving in, right before our eyes and before we knew it, small hail stones dropped from the sky and that marked the end for half the group and we scaled down the now slippery muddy knoll and headed back to the house.

Now it was time to get stuck into Hogmanay, New Year’s Eve-Scottish style.  Girl and I had a few quiet vodka and Irn Bru’s (very Scottish) to get warmed up and then we went and got ready to come back downstairs and to just enjoy the rest of the evening as it unfolded.  Dinner was to be served at 8.30pm and Emma had place settings for us all and what a great idea as it gave me a chance to meet more of the group properly.  In Scotland, Hogmanay, with an accent hug-mə-nay, is the Scots word for the last day of the year and is synonymous with the celebration of the New Year (Gregorian calendar) in the Scottish manner. New Year's (Hogmanay) is celebrated with several different customs, such as First-Footing, which involves friends or family members going to each other's houses with a gift of whisky and sometimes a lump of coal.  Edinburgh, the Scottish capital, hosts one of the world's most famous New Year celebrations. The celebration is focused on a major street party along Princes Street. The cannon is fired at Edinburgh Castle at the stroke of midnight, followed by a large fireworks display. Edinburgh hosts a festival of four or five days, beginning on 28 December, and lasting until New Year's Day or January 2, which is also a bank holiday in Scotland. Other cities across Scotland, such as Aberdeen, Glasgow and Stirling have large organised celebrations too, including fireworks at midnight.  The Island nations of Kiribati and Samoa are the first to welcome in the New Year while Honolulu-Hawaii is among the last places to welcome the New Year.  So it was strange to see all my Aussie mates celebrating their New Year’s Eve a good 10 hours before me, seeing all their status updates and pictures hit Facebook before we even had an alcoholic drink in hand.  The upside was I was able to ring home and speak to everyone before they got to drunk and before the phone lines got too congested.  It was great to hear all their voices!

Dinner was served at 8.30pm and we all wearing a piece of fancy dress and I have to say we all looked magnificent.  If I was to announce a winner I would have to give the best dressed award to HT.  He donned Pap’s old rowing outfit that was skin tight and then to complete the outfit he pulled on a pair of pants with a rather large ‘sock’ area-if you get my drift and wore it ALL night.  Now that is dedication.  Well done Huffy-you get my vote and prize for the best dressed.  A close second was Jamie in his crochet top and vest, Pap’s of course in his Cameroon cultural dress and Emily with her massive clown bow tie.  High five to all and as we sat down for our first course I felt I was amongst friends, even though I had only met them not even 24 hours before and me being true to form, I must of felt comfortable, I started taking a gazillion photos, and you know what-they didn’t mind.  I think we were going to get along just fine.  It is amazing how Rosie can put a dinner together for 19 and make it restaurant quality.  We started with salmon terrine and crusty bread and it was delicious, and this is coming from some-one who doesn’t even like salmon.  Main course was fresh venison that was caught back in September and for desert were profiteroles with fresh cream custard.  All that for 19 people.  Can you imagine?  And it looked like it was done with no fuss if you looked in the kitchen, but then I do know that there were many hands in there at one stage-but what a great meal to line the stomach with. 

The rest of the night was spent with a little ‘reeling’ which is Scottish for dancing and to me it looked like line dancing that you used to do at school and then to get us into New Year’s we played charades till just before midnight.  We were divided into 2 teams and my team went into the dining room to pick 5 movies or book titles and our counterparts were doing the same in the other room.  Once we had our picks we then took it in turns deciding who from the other team would act out the titles and the games began.  There has to be a few special mentions for the acting and that goes to Team Octopussy, Team Human Centipede that finished off with a royal fart from Robert in Jamie’s face-priceless and I have to say HT and I’s rendition of the movie Freddie got Fingered.  It was hilarious to see us all up there and a great way to keep all the spirits high as we were also consuming a great amount of alcohol as well.  We got the nod from Robert with 10 minutes to go which gave us a chance to pop some bottles of champagne, fill our glasses and get into the countdown from 10.  Robert was all over the radio, with it glued to his ear so as not to miss the countdown.  By this time we were all merry and it was nice to receive hugs and kisses from people that I felt totally comfortable with.  I am so lucky that they all accepted me into their fold and it will be a night I will remember for a long time.  The Hogmanay custom of singing "Auld Lang Syne" has become common in many countries. "Auld Lang Syne" is a traditional poem reinterpreted by Robert Burns, which was later set to music. It is now common to sing this in a circle of linked arms that are crossed over one another as the clock strikes midnight for New Year's Day, though it is only intended that participants link arms at the beginning of the final verse, co-ordinating with the lines of the song that contain the lyrics to do so. Typically, it is only in Scotland this practice is carried out correctly. I am a little hazy if we all linked arms-we could have, but I do definitely remember singing the song with a small tear in my eye as I thought of home.

From here we all moved outside to watch the fireworks that had been organised earlier.  This is also a little blank for me and I am kind of glad as I know Paps was telling me the next day that he was looking down the barrel of one of the crackers at one point, blind as a fart, which is like an accident waiting to happen but I do recall (after seeing the photos) having a puff on a cigar with Katie and getting a few photos outside as we all enjoyed the fresh, really fresh air of 2013.  The group started to thin out after 1am.  But for some of us the party was just getting started and we got a great performance from Fi and Jamie doing a dance for us, and with me laughing so hard my sides hurt, it was a great way to bring in 2013.  Some people had to drive New Year’s Day (sucks to be them), so they were doing the smart thing and heading to bed.  For those that didn’t have to drive well we just kicked on and before we knew it there were 6 of us left at, get this, 6am.  YES 6AM!!!  It didn’t even feel that late and I do recall that I still had a glass of something in hand.  So with some ‘proof’ photos, a hilarious video of Em and I it was time for us to stagger to bed and get some sleep. 

What a great way to see in 2013.  If I couldn’t be home with my gang, this gang was the next best thing that is for sure.  So a BIG shout out to all those who made the journey firstly to Inverawe in the Scottish Highlands, secondly to Rosie and Robert for having us in their home and their awesome hospitality and thirdly for giving me a great send off as I head to Africa in 3 weeks.  This will always bring a smile to my face when I think of this night.

Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365 page book.  Write a good one…..

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE. 
WISHING YOU ALL A YEAR OF LOVE, SUCCESS AND GOOD HEALTH.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment