Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Friday, January 11, 2013

MY NEW HOME FOR THE NEXT 9 NIGHTS-WELCOME ABOARD THE NORWEGIAN SPIRIT


I woke at 6.45am this morning-again before my alarm, and man was I sore.  It felt like I had done a gym work out my muscles were so sore!  Seriously-and the bruise on my upper arm was turning a lovely black shade.  I guess you can’t expect to carry 60kg for 20 minutes in the morning and then for 45 minutes in the afternoon and not have some part of your body feel the effect the next day.  Especially when I am so fit-NOT……….

I had time to think about the last time I was here and it was in the July of 2010 on my 2 week Contiki Spanish Spree.  What a great tour that was.  I made some great friends on that tour including my 2 Contiki Husbands, whom I have seen since the tour-and my Contiki Greek posse of which there were 6 of us from Spain continuing onto Contiki Greece.  To think of those trips now and just how much alcohol I drank, it is amazing that I am still alive.  Barcelona was a MASSIVE night for us as we were here during the Football Final, don’t ask me which one as I don’t know, but Barcelona were playing Manchester United I think and we knew either way if they lost the city would burn or if they won they would party till the wee hours.  We started in a small ‘off’ street bar and from memory it was called The Black Sheep’ where you could order a 5L tower of sangria, and we did, and then we moved down onto the waterfront and found this great bar that was serving 1EUR spirits, 1EUR beers and 3EUR jagerboms and we just danced and drank the night away.  Needless to say it was massive and I woke in the morning to a knock at my door and Marc standing there telling me I had 15 minutes till the coach leaves and I had clothes everywhere and vomit in my hair from the kebab I had eaten on the way home.  Oh yeah-good times and great memories……..  So here is a fabulous shout out to my awesome Contiki Spanish crew and I will make sure I have a glass of sangria in our honour upon my return back to Barcelona.  Who can believe that has been nearly 2 years this July?  2 YEARS!!!!

I’m on my last section of my travel.  I know I have said it all before, but all going to plan I will at least be in one place for at least 3 months, when I have that ticket booked back to London in May.  I picked May as I can only stay in Kenya or Ethiopia on a tourist visa for 3 months, so I need to get out of the country around then anyway and by that time I will know if there are things that I will need, I can buy them in London and bring them back with me.  I do have to make a trip to Ethiopia at some stage as I left a bag of clothes, books and a camera with Zeme that I want to collect.  Whether I see him or not is still to be decided as I can get Minalu to get them for me and I can do a weekend run to Addis to get it.  The flights are only 145USD return so it is all do-able and I want my stuff, assuming that he still has it all. 

But today I am off on a 9 night cruise of the Canary Islands.  I have always had this on a travel list somewhere, but it hasn’t been high, well as high as other places anyway.  But timing, dates and price all worked in, so I know find myself in Barcelona and about to start the cruise.  I always swore that I would NEVER do another cruise on my own after the cruise I did of the Caribbean 4 or 5 years ago now on a Royal Caribbean ship called Oasis of the Seas.  At the time she was the biggest ship in the world and I had booked with a friend to do a 7 night cruise of the Caribbean.  Well things went a little pear shaped and 6 weeks out my friend told me she couldn’t go.  Well it wasn’t from lack of trying, but I couldn’t find anyone to travel with and I had a choice to make I lose the money I had paid if I cancelled, or I still go and I pay double as I was now a single in the cabin.  With all things weighed up I still decided to go, as I was doing a week in Las Vegas beforehand thinking I would make friends at dinner and I would have some company.  Well how wrong I was.  Oasis of the Seas was the largest cruise ship only to be surpassed by her sister ship 12 months later by 5cm and they both hold 6500 guests.  Yes that is a lot of people, but it certainly didn’t feel like it on the ship, she was massive, so much so that of I did meet people on day tours and say we’ll catch up on board, you would never see them again.  There were 24 eating outlets on the ship and after the 3rd night of NO-ONE turning up at my table at the al-a-carte restaurant, I decided to eat the last 4 nights in the buffet with my book.  It was a lonely cruise and I was lucky to see the same person twice for the whole cruise.  It was depressing.  She was a great ship, beautiful, different from any other cruise I had done-but a ship that should be done with people you know.  So after that I swore I would not do a cruise on my own again.

Well I think I am now in a different place to where I was 5 years ago.  I am much more grateful for….well everything and I do know that this will be my last lap of luxury for a while.  Even if I do decided to keep travelling if things go south with my plans, my backup plan is to travel West Africa and I know there certainly won’t be any luxury on that trip of 3 months.  Oh yes, one always needs to have a trip up their sleeve, even if I don’t do it for another 12 months, that is the trip I would want to do next.  So how did I end up doing a cruise again…on my own?  Initially I was heading to Ethiopia and Minalu wasn’t able to help me till early February as he had 2 trips in January, and with my wedding in London in December, I was in Europe, and had to find somewhere cheap (in Europe) where I could kill 3 weeks.  Cheap being the operative word.  I was lucky I was able to extend my stay in London without it costing me a cent due to Paps and Em and I started looking at packages to the Canary Islands, staying for a week or 2.  The prices didn’t seem too bad, but it was low season and then I thought of a cruise, Google’d it, found the NCL cruise, the cost was cheap and I decided to just book it.  This was going to be me time anyway.  I was prepared this time and if I meet people then that would be a bonus.  I knew I would have blogs to catch up on and the great thing with this cruise was it was 9 nights and there are only 4 ports of call.  I love days at sea, so this was a perfect time filler for me and I went ahead and booked it. 

The cruise leaves at 7pm tonight and you could start boarding from 12 noon, last check-in was at 6pm.  As I have 3 nights back in Barcelona after my cruise and having been there 3 times previously I didn’t feel the need to race out and see the city, I can do that when I come back-so I had a leisurely morning at the hotel, breakfast was included and at 11.30am decided I would start to get my bags into storage at the hotel and make my way to the ship.  With my 2 bags in hand, I went to the first floor as directed yesterday and you need a key to get into the storage room, so I headed to reception, go a key and made my way back to the first floor.  Once I got in I found out that the storage is actually the self-store lockers where you pay money, like at airports.  Well I didn’t have my purse with me did I and I had to make sure I had enough change as it was 2EUR per day.  I was gone 9 days so needed 18EUR in coins.  So I left the bags in the unlocked locker, headed back to my room to get my purse, found I only had 10EUR in coin, went back to reception to get change and he could only give me 5EUR in coin, so I had to go 4 doors down to Subway to purchase a water to get my last 3EUR I needed and then headed back to the hotel and the first floor.  There was another couple in there and after speaking to them they were on the same cruise as me and they told me that the lockers weren’t working.  GREAT.  But there were 2 coins slots, so with a wave from them and a see you on the ship-I tried my luck with the other set of lockers.  Well mine worked just fine for 1 coin and which gave me a time of 24 hours.  There was no other way I could slot in more coins to give me more days in sequence.  One coin = 24 hours, that’s all you could have.  It’s one of things if you keep putting in money, you don’t want to lose it so I left my stuff there not comfortable with the fact that this time tomorrow my door was going to pop open and not be locked for the next 8 days.  Not happy, as I was leaving some valuable things behind.  The alternative was taking it all with me and this thought just broke me into a cold sweat.  There had to be another way.

I headed back to my room and collected the monster and my wheelie bag and made my way down to reception.  They have to have somewhere in the hotel they could keep my things surely.  So I told the reception guy that it only lets you store stuff for 24 hours and were they able to store it for me somewhere, I said I was happy to pay and his suggestion was to go to the train station as they have lockers there. Hmmm I thought about that and told him I didn’t have time to run around the city and the key that unlocked it all was I told him I was coming back to the hotel for 3 nights after the cruise.  Well this seemed to change everything and he made a phone call and then told me he could take my bags and there would be no charge!  How nice and totally unexpected.  It’s all in the attitude, everyone is just trying to do their jobs and there is always a way.  I went back to the first floor, retrieved my bags and then handed them over to reception and with a wave and a wish for a good cruise I was out on the Ramblas.  A taxi came past straight away, he stopped for me and I showed him the address of the port and I was on my way.  Lucky I had snafu time to sort all that out.  I’m telling you these bags will be the death of me seriously. 

The port was only a 10 minute drive away and I arrived at 12.15pm.  There is a form of excitement when you see your ship from afar for the first time.  It is a little like the A380 when you wonder how that thing can take off, I feel the same way about ships-how do they manage to move to effortlessly and like a floating city-just …well float?  Today was no exception and no matter what grievances I had about solo cruising I was till excited.  When we arrived the taxi meter said 6.65EUR but the charge was 11EUR-so not sure what the extra charge was for but I paid leaving a 2EUR tip and as soon as I got out of the car there was a baggage man with a cart waiting to take my bag.  He tagged it with my cabin number-I was keeping the wheelie bag with me and I headed into the cruise building.  There was a security scanner to be cleared and of course I set the alarms off with all my bangles, so sent back, I disrobed all my bangles and I was through.  There seemed to be a lot of check-in people around and the queues didn’t seem too long.  I was handed a health form that I had to fill in and sign and then I was next up at the counter.  After showing my e-ticket, my passport and giving my credit card for a 300USD hold, given a map of the ship and my ship card I was then able to board the ship.  The whole process from me arriving to getting foot on the ship was 25 minutes.  AWESOME.  NCL had a lot of staff standing around but none of them offered to point me in the right direction, so I decided to turn left and get to some signs and then I could work out where I was.  There was a staff member at the next section which had lifts and stairs and he was very helpful and I was told to head down 2 levels and make my way forward and I would find my cabin.  I sued the stairs and within 3 minutes I was inside my cabin.  It couldn’t have been an easier.

The cabin was ok.  I had paid for the cheapest inside, so I guess I couldn’t expect much, but it looked tired.  I was in what could be used as a triple room with 2 single beds and a folded away bunk bed.  I sleep better in a double bed-but I never use the whole thing-but I enjoy twin beds as it gives me room to throw my crap, so I didn’t even bother to ask if the room converts and I will stick with the twin bedding.  It wasn’t crappy-but it wasn’t fantastic.  It would be fine for my stay.  I had my own bathroom and a TV and being inside I had a fabulous painted view of a tropical island from a ship with SuperStar Leo painted on it.  NCL Spirit has not always been in the fleet.  Norwegian Spirit (built for Star Cruises as SuperStar Leo) is a cruise ship currently operated by Norwegian Cruise Line.  The vessel was constructed in Germany. Named SuperStar Leo in 1998, the vessel was the first of Star Cruises' Leo-class. She was then home ported in Singapore in 1998 and operated 2-5 Night Cruises to Malaysia and Thailand. One year later, SuperStar Virgo arrived in Singapore.  She was then based in Hong Kong in September 10, 1999 and offered 1-5 Night Cruises to China, Hainan, Vietnam and South China Sea Cruises.  I knew the ship had been Superstar Leo but she has had a few ‘accidents’ in her time including: 
In 2003, SuperStar Leo was transferred to Australia due to SARS in Asia and she returned back to Hong Kong afterwards.  In 2004, Norwegian Cruise Line was planning to launch Pride of America. However, just prior to completion, the vessel partially sank when a storm hit the Lloyd Werft shipyards. To meet the already booked cruises for Pride of America, SuperStar Leo was transferred to the NCL fleet, and after only two weeks of refits, emerged as Norwegian Spirit. 
In 2005 Norwegian Spirit hit a pier in Juneau, causing minor damage.
In 2007, Norwegian Spirit again struck a pier, this time in New York Harbor. In both cases, repairs were made to the ship.
On 25 May 2008 at approximately 9:00 am the Spirit contacted Pier 90 in New York City at the end of an eight day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. She damaged the parking garage support columns and the bow of the ship.
In January 2006, Norwegian Spirit encountered a rogue wave off the coast of Tortola.
In March 2011 the Norwegian Spirit was over 12 hours late due to a death on the ship and a collision into the pier in Mexico.
Quite an exciting history.  I am glad I have found all this out now that I am on the ship!!!  Not that I wouldn’t have booked the cruise, I would have-but that is a lot of accidents for a single ship.

So I dumped all my things and decided to spend some time looking around my new home.  I got rid of all my bags and pulled out my eco-friendly bag I bought in Boracay, popped in my IPod, my book, my camera and my ship card and that was all I was going to need for the whole duration.  No purse (except when on shore) and no heavy bags-it was bliss already!  I saw the hotel couple who are from Denmark in the main atrium and I have to say she is always so happy to see me.  They are an older couple and so nice.  I must get their names.  I spent the next 2 hours walking around and taking photos and then I found the buffet so I had a late lunch keeping in mind my food portions as this is the ‘downside’ to cruising, the amount of food available to you pretty much 24 hours a day.  I did tell Shelly I had plans of using the gym while I was on board, but I am wondering how that is going to go…not far I am thinking!

There were packages galore being sold on the first day.  The drinks packages seemed to be the most popular and there were a few on offer.  They did have pretty much an all you can drink package that included premium spirits and most cocktails for 49USD per day.  As tempting as that sounds, drinking on your own is just no fun at all, so I decided to go with the ‘soda’ package which was 6.95USD per day for all you can drink soft drink.  There were wine packages, spa packages and internet packages which was my next thing on my list.  There were 2 packages you could choose from 50USD got you 100 minutes and 100USD got you 250 minutes and then if purchased today you got an additional 20 minutes for free.  It sounds expensive but of you bought the packages it worked out to be 40c a minute and I only really need it for loading my blogs and a little bit of Facebook, and as I wasn’t going to be drinking-this was my vice I was happy to pay.

So after all my exploring I was back to my cabin at 2pm.  There was the mandatory lifeboat drill at 4.30pm.  It is a compulsory US Coast Guard lifeboat drill that all guests have to attend.  The good thing with this one was that life jackets were not required and at 4.30pm the seven short blasts followed by one long blast indicated our participation.  I found my safety station on deck 7, 2 above from where my cabin was and we all have to wait for everyone else to arrive and I got talking to a young couple from the UK.  They has travelled to Australia and done a few months of travelling so they understood where I was at and Shelly would have been proud that I found that ‘map’ over, finding something that you have in common with a new person you meet and it just helps the conversation flow.  Lee and Adele were really nice and when the drill finished they said that we should hook up for a drink sometime and I said I would really like that.   So I have met my Danish couple and now Lee and Adele, this cruise was shaping up to be okay so far and we hadn’t even left port yet-so it has trumped my Oasis of the Sea experience already.  I guess what they say of you have lower expectations anything great that happens is a bonus.  That, and I am also doing this trip with a whole different attitude as well. 

The demographic of the ship is older.  I would have to say 60+.  There are a few younger couples, a few young families but I would say 85% are the old folks.  I guess I didn’t really think about the demographics of the ship and it really doesn’t matter to me.  I find them all quite friendly and I have had people stop and say hello, ask what I am reading or just say hello as you walk past them or in the lift.  It is actually quite refreshing and I think the younger generation could take a leaf out of the older generation’s books.  I look at people and wonder how their life was.  What did they do for jobs?  Is there anything they would change?  And to think that most of them have probably been married for longer than I have been alive is really sweet and I can’t help walking around smiling at them as they head into their ‘twilight’ years.  Good for them.  Here I am at 38 and I have no idea on what I will be doing next year.  I used to worry about getting old, not 40 old or 50 old but 60+ old and looking at these people, they have friends, (there groups here together) they are all talking to each other (strangers making new friends) and it hit me then as long as I also have that then I am okay at getting old-but I guess young also have to have your health, but all that-you can be happy being that ‘old’ and I hope that that will be me in 20 years’ time.......     

I got 2 blogs done in the afternoon and I feel like I am finally getting back on top.  The ship was to set sail at 7pm, so I headed up to deck at 6.45 with my IPod and ran back into Lee and Adele again.  So after a quick natter we went our own ways, and now I know that they are on their honeymoon, I figured they are not going to want a third wheel and I will make sure I don’t invite myself along to things.  It’s a fine line when there is a couple and a single and I don’t mean that in any other way than the way it is intended.  It was dark as we left Barcelona and it is amazing to me how those tiny little tug boats can move a large vessel like this-another one of those engineering marvels and with the pilot boat guiding is after the tugboat had done his job we were turned around in the port and made our way out past the shipping yards and petrol containers and 45 minutes after leaving, the city lights started to fade and we were on our way!!!!  While I was out I went back to the buffet restaurant for dinner where I can blend in and not look like a total loser eating on my own.  That is one thing I will not do here and that is the al-a-carte meal.  Fancy dining on your own is just not a fun experience, and I don’t need the fancy food and I am okay with that.     

There was a show on tonight in the Stardust Theatre.  It was a juggling comedian.  It didn’t really appeal to me and I was actually quite tired so I decided to give the 9pm show a miss but I will make a deal that I will go to all the other shows each night.  They have a 7.30pm performance and then a 9.30pm performance, so I am sure I can make the earlier one each night.  So that was my first day on the ship and I think I am going to enjoy my time here.  It is special for me in so many ways.  My last stop before Africa.  My last ‘live it up’ section for a while.  My last taste of ‘western’ mod cons and although it makes me a little sad at the thought I am looking forward to it all and can’t wait to land in Kenya, as scary as it is, all at the same time. 

Welcome aboard the Norwegian Spirit.       


No comments:

Post a Comment