Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

HEADING TO SCOTLAND-TAYNUILT TO BE EXACT-WHERE?


So I’m on the move again.  I am tired, but I know that the trip north today to Scotland will be worth it.  I’m looking forward to 3 nights in one place and chillaxing with Paps and Em and hope that the rest of their friends like me.  I was going to avoid the debacle of my train trip to Brighton and I had double checked what station I needed to get to this morning and made sure I gave myself plenty of time for connections.  It was also more imperative that I was not late for these trains as there was only one train this evening from Glasgow to Taynuilt and if I missed that I would have to overnight and then catch one up in the morning.  This place is certainly off the beaten track.  After handing in the shoulder bag back into reception, I now had my wheelie bag packed for the next 8 days.  Looking at what I had packed into this small bag made me think of all the stuff and 3 other bags I had in storage and wondered if I really need it all?  Short term and for a holiday the answer would be a big fat no.  But I am moving and I need clothes, especially as I know it will be difficult for me to buy clothes in Africa and I am not sure when I will get my boxes sent from Australia and had to be sure I had cruise clothes, work clothes, tour clothes, gym clothes and good clothes just to tide me over till my belongings finally arrive.  Yes I think I do need all that I have, but I am glad that I only have to carry my wheelie bag around for the week.  I asked at reception about getting a twin room upon my return next week (they are bigger than the twins) but for them to make a change they would have to cancel the booking costing me 10GBP and then rebooking and paying the difference.  This is the hotel, they can’t make a change-stupid-but then I guess they are a low cost hotel and with everything else there is a fee.  They told me to leave it; they weren’t full and then just pay the upgrade when I check in.  I’ll try my luck. 

I was out of the hotel at 9.30am.  My train wasn’t until 11.25am but I have what I call snafu time and I will always want to be early than running late and having the stress of missing the train, especially today.  I figured out today that Edgeware Road is closer than Paddington so with a 4 stop pass I found myself at Kings Cross station at 10am.  I found the ticket machines, got my prepaid tickets printed and then checked the massive departure boards they have with the train departures listed in time.  It is a great system and the thing that stresses me a little is that you can see your train on the board but the platform isn’t advised till 10 minutes prior to departure, so once you see the platform number I feel like I have to haul some arse to get there thinking that it will take me more than 10 minutes to find it and then miss the train.  It hasn’t happened yet, but I don’t like that bit of the system, but I guess it works and everyone else is in the same boat.  I had an hour to kill so I was able to buy a bacon and egg bap and found a seat to while away the time till my platform was displayed. 

I booked my ticket online 2 weeks ago and I had no end of trouble trying to make the payment.  I had to do it like a 100 times for it to finally work and I was told that I couldn’t make a seat reservation on the London to Edinburgh sector of the trip.  So you can imagine my surprise when I got into the first carriage and saw that 90% of the seats were reserved.  How did these people manage to reserve seats?  There were 8 carriages in total and each one was exactly the same 90% of them reserved.  I walked the length of the train (not going inside yet) and I could only see 2 seats that weren’t taken.  Both were an aisle as the window was already taken and the first seat I was advised by the male passenger that he had a friend getting on at the next stop in 45 minutes, but I was more than welcome to sit there until then-no thanks and the other seat was next to a female and she looked ok.  Seriously where do people sit if all the seats are reserved?  I had popped my wheelie bag in the luggage rack near the door and once everyone was settled I saw that I could pop my bag in between the backwards seat across the aisle, which was a great move when I had my laptop in my bag plus my travel kitty of USD that I carry with me-yes this was a smart idea indeed.  I hate my bag being near the doors as you are always paranoid that someone is going to steal it when they get off.        

There was an option to upgrade to business class as the train departed the platform.  Depending where you were going starting at 15-25GBP.  I thought about it for a second but I was now all in and settled so decided to just stay where I was.  In economy they offer you 15 minutes free Wi-Fi usage per journey.  So I jumped on for the first 15 minutes on my IPod and then I pulled out my computer and pumped out a blog and then used my other email address to upload it to the internet using another free 15 minutes.  Gee I am smart sometimes J it was then time to look out the window and enjoy the scenery.  It was a suuny-ish day and you could see just how much rain there had been with fields filled with water.  Trees and fences in the middle of small lakes.  I am glad that I wasn’t joining the train at other stops as people would just all pack on and then they all had to squeeze past each other to find their seats and to find unreserved seats all carrying their bags etc…. what a chaotic organised mess all at the same time.  My chicky got off at 1pm-so I was able to move to the window and my seat was taken by a mother that was travelling with her husband and 2 small kids-and all 4 of them were in 2 seats.  It reminded me of the Nepalese family on the bus on our last travel day in Nepal and they were squished onto 2 seats with 4 family members.  It goes to show all cultures will try and save money where they can.  Passing through some of the larger towns Durham and Newcastle look like pretty cities and maybe worth going back to when I have time down the track.  I have to say I enjoy train travel.

We arrived into Edinburgh 10 minutes late at 4.20pm.  It is so weird to see it get dark here so early, today was at 3.50pm.  I am glad I had a 40 minute window here to get my bearings and find my new platform for the 50 minute journey to Glasgow.  Waverly Station is massive and I have to say their signage is a little confusing.  I did stop at the information booth to double check where I needed to get to, found the platform and only had 10 minutes to spare.  The good thing about getting to the platforms early is that you are one of the first onto the train and you are 90% sure you will get a seat.  Not really thinking that at 5pm it would be full of rush hour shoppers and workers’ heading home, the train was packed.  I worked out that my wheelie bag fits in the overhead rack, so I was able to keep an eye on it till we arrived into Glasgow at 5.50pm.  I then had 25 minutes till my next train to take me to my final destination.  I decided I should use the bathroom facilities here and there was a charge of 30pence for the privilege.  I am happy to pay than to wait and use the train for free, so after my pee stop I bought a coke and then my train was pulling in and ready to board.  If nothing else all has gone to plan so far.  This section from Glasgow to Taynuilt was on a reserved seat basis and after finding the right carriage I got to my seat to find people already sitting in my seat, and it was a goodie, it was at a table.  I was hoping to get some blogging done.  As per the first journey, 90% of seats were reserved-so the 3 of us were all looking at our tickets trying to work out who was supposed to be sitting where and it looked like I had their seats and they had mine, so we just decided to stay where we were and got comfy for the 3 hour journey to Taynuilt.  The couple across from me were Scottish and I had to really concentrate to understand what they were saying.  They were going through to Oban, the last stop.  I was travelling backwards, so I could see the automated sign telling you of all the stops and I couldn’t see my stop listed on there and I started to panic.  I asked the couple across from me and they said don’t worry the train divides and then your station will show up.  WHAT THE TRAIN DIVIDES?  How will I know which train to get on?  They said don’t worry they will let me know and I said well worst case I miss my stop and you will have a guest for the night.  I found it funny and they laughed but I may have seen a glint of concern as well that I may have been serious.

I sent Em a message to let her know where I was and I was on time and she replied back exactly ‘are you coming tonight’?  ARE YOU KIDDING?  I would normally have thought that it was a joke straight up, but last time I came to visit I told them I arrived into their station at 6.45am and Em thought that it was 6.45PM at night.  So when she cracked this funny, I initially laughed and then she played it on and then phoned me and kept playing on that I finally believed it and they weren’t expecting me till tomorrow and I had an image of me at this small village station and nowhere to go!  I normally hate answering phones on buses or small confined spaces as I hate people listening into my conversations but Em called and I felt I had to take it as I was devastated that I wasn’t due.  I asked Em about the train stops and listed them all off to which I got a few giggles from the locals as my pronunciation of the names was obviously not right-have your laugh-I’m okay about that and I am glad I have ‘my couple’ across from me keeping an eye on the stations.  Em’s advice was to just get off at 9pm.  That would be the right stop and she then let me know that it was all a joke and that her or her mum would be at the station to meet me at 9pm.  I really would have cracked it and got on the next train back to London.  I was so tired and was just glad that she had just been kidding!!!

I did arrive at the RIGHT station at 9pm and Em’s mum Rosie was there to meet me.  There were only 4 people that got off there and it was slightly raining and not much cover, so I was glad when Rosie came over to me and asked if I was Bernie and knew it wouldn’t be hard to find me.  Em’s family home was only a 5 minute drive from the train station and as I put my bag down and entered through the door there was a massive table of people all just sitting down to dinner.  Talk about an entrance and it felt a little daunting that I didn’t know anybody.  I hate that first initial reaction of smiling when inside you are going what the hell knowing you don’t know anyone.  But Em swept me up, found me a seat at the table and before I knew it I had a bowl of soup in front of me followed with a plate of crusted salmon and vegetables and I was in a comfortable conversation with Katie to my right and George to my left.  Throw in a few glasses of white wine that was flowing freely and desert to follow I felt I was going to be okay this weekend.  Em and Paps friends all seem like a nice bunch and I got to know them all a bit more as we played a few games as the night wore on.  The last of us went to bed at 2.30am and I was shown to my room on the 3rd floor where I would be sharing with Pap’s sister ‘girl’ when she arrived tomorrow. 

So it was MASSIVE travel day-I was tired and knew I would sleep well.  I am surprised I lasted till 2.30am and was told to not worry about waking up early in the morning-sleep till I could sleep no more was the wise words of Em as we all climbed the stairs and I swear the second my head hot the pillow I was fast asleep.  What a way to spend the last Sunday of 2012.     


No comments:

Post a Comment