Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

TODAY I MET THE WORLDS SMALLEST PRIMATE-BOHOL


WEATHER: Hot and 31C

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Seeing the tiny Tarsier-they were SO cute

BUMMER OF THE DAY: It was the longest day tour EVER=15.5 hours

WORD OF THE DAY: Prony the Python

DISTANCE TRAVELLED: 90km

I had a full day tour to Bohol today and it better be worth it with a 4am pick-up.  I had the agency in Manila phone me yesterday on the phone they gave me, to reconfirm that they had reconfirmed with the tour company in Cebu the pickup time and checked that everything was okay.  It is a nice touch and nice to know that they have the finger on the pulse.  So with the alarm going off at 3.30am-I showered and changed and was in the lobby at 3.55am.  I checked with reception about my take away breakfast, which was on its way up and I sat and waited for my transfer….and waited…..and waited…and waited….  It was 4.30am and I was about to get reception to make a call for me when my guy walked in through the door.  I couldn’t hold my tongue and said that he was supposed to be here at 4am and he said no, 4.30am and when we got into the van he showed me his piece of paper that said 4.30am.  Well my piece of paper says 4am, but I am not going to shoot the messenger, it’s not like he was late, he was just told a different time.  Well the comedy of errors continued when we arrived at the port 10 minutes later, making it 4.40am for a 6am ferry departure.  I really don’t think I needed to be collected from the hotel till at least 5am if not a little later, so I now had 1 hour and 20 minutes to sit at the ferry terminal.  I was dropped at the front gate (car wasn’t allowed in) and then was told I would be picked up at 8pm tonight. Ummmm where do I go, is the piece of paper with my confirmation all I need?  I am lucky that I am a switched on traveler and I am not afraid to ask people for directions.  So I made my way to the first ‘official’ ticket window I could see which was across the carpark and into the building and didn’t I feel like a dorky tourist with my ‘take away’ breakfast box in one hand a lost look on my face.  But I asked, and was told to keep going through to the next room.  I felt a little wary, it was a working dock, it wasn’t well lit and there were a few characters floating around.  So I followed the directions to another desk further in and they pointed me to the check-in counter that wasn’t even OPEN yet, that’s how early I was!  I only had to wait till 5am and the counter opened and I stood in line and got my boarding pass and followed the crowds into the waiting room.  I used this opportunity to get rid of my stupid breakfast box but I do have to say it’s the best one I have ever had, ever.  There was a can of pineapple juice in there, a bottle of water, scrambled eggs, 2 sausages, 2 pastries and some rice.  Now THAT is a breakfast box!!! 

The ferry started boarding at 5.40am.  I was in no rush as we had seat numbers allocated to us, but I could see a sign that said Tagbilaran, so I knew I was getting on the right ferry.  The gang plank down to the boat was so steep that I nearly needed some help getting down, but I made it and as my seat was near the door, I could see that just about everyone needed help getting down that thing.  My seat was in the first row where everyone had to walk to get to their seats and I was in the middle of the boat-no window.  So when the doors closed for departure, it wasn’t a full ferry so I moved to a seat that had a window, it had less leg room and after I had squeezed in the window had been tinted, oh I rekon around 50 years ago and then people have tried to pick some of it off and you officially couldn’t see too much out of the damn thing.  Oh well, I couldn’t take pictures, but I could see a little.  As it worked out pretty much the second I put in my earphones, I fell asleep with the slight rock of the boat and woke up 20 minutes before arriving in Bohol.  That was a great way to kill 2 hours!!!  We arrived into Bohol at 8.30am and my guide was waiting there for me with my name on a sign.  So I have a diver today Mark and my guides name is Deboy.  I’m not sure what it is, but the second we got to the car, Deboy was firing questions at me, and I just don’t like it.  Our first stop was at the Sandugo Monument.  The Sandugo was a blood compact, performed in the island of Bohol between the Spanish explorer Miguel López de Legazpi and Datu Sikatunathe chieftain of Bohol on March 16, 1565, to seal their friendship as part of the tribal tradition. This is considered as the first treaty of friendship between the Spaniards and Filipinos. "Sandugo" is a Visayan word which means "one blood".  The Sandugo is depicted in both the provincial flag and the official seal of the government in Bohol.  It also features the image of the blood compact. The top of the seal explains the history behind the Sandugo event that occurred in Bohol, the fleet and the location where the Spaniards anchored and the place where the treaty was conducted which was dated on March 16, 1565.

We then drove for 20 minutes and stopped at the Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception in Baclayon.  It is considered to be one of the oldest churches in the Philippines. It is also one of the best persevered Jesuit build churches in the region; although in the 19th century, the Augustinian Recollects added a modern facade and a number of stone buildings that now surround the church. The first Spanish missionaries or doctrineros in the region, Fr. Juan de Torres and Fr. Gabriel Sanchez, first settled in Baclayon in 1595. Shortly after their arrival, a visita was erected on the spot. Although Baclayon was the first seat of the Spanish Jesuit missionaries, fear of Moro mauraders soon forced them to move their headquarters more inland, to Loboc. Only in 1717, Baclayon became a parish, and construction of a new church commenced. Some 200 native forced laborers constructed the church from coral stones, which they took from the sea, cut into square blocks, and piled on to each other. They used bamboo to move and lift the stones in position, and used the white of a million eggs as to cement them together. The current building was completed in 1727. The church obtained a large bell in 1835. In the Baclayon church is a dungeon, which was used to punish natives who violated the rules of the Roman Catholic Church.  We visited the museum next to the church which was the old convent and now houses a small museum with centuries-old religious relics, artifacts and other antiquities, dating back to the 16th century. Included in the collection are an ivory statue of the crucified Christ looking towards heaven; a statue of the Blessed Virgin, said to be presented by Queen Catherine of Aragon; relics of St. Ignatius of Loyola, old gold embroidered ecclesiastical vestments, books with carabao skin covers, and librettos of church music written in Latin on sheep skins. Here you can also find the cuadro paintings made by the Filipino painter Liberato Gatchalian in 1859.  It was pretty interesting, and trust me I have seen some churches in my travels.

The highlight of the day for me was a visit to see the Philippine Tarsier.  It is an endangered species of tarsier endemic to the Philippines.  It is found in the southeastern part of the archipelago, particularly in the islands of Bohol, Samar,Leyte and Mindanao.  We visited the Tarsier Sanctuary in Corella.  Despite the protection status of the Philippine tarsier, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources has granted special limited permits for this display of the Philippine tarsier in Loboc. Here, tourists can see the Philippine tarsier up close and personal and take pictures, but are not allowed to touch them as they live in their natural environment.  There are 10 Tarsiers they have at the moment, they are free to come and go as they please even though there is a fence surrounding the ‘compound’ as such.

It is a member of the approximately 45 million year old family TarsiidaeIts elongated "tarsus," or ankle bone, which gives the tarsier its name, allows it to jump at least three meters from tree to tree without having to touch the ground.  The Philippine tarsier is not a large animal; it measures only about 85 to 160 millimeters in height, making it one of the smallest primates. The mass for males is between 80–160 g usually lighter for females.  The average adult is about the size of a human fist and will fit very comfortably in the human hand.  In comparison with his body size, the eyes of the tarsier are enormous. In volume, the capacity of the bony eye orbits, or eye sockets, is larger than that of the brain case, and also larger than its stomach. The eyes are disproportionately large, having the largest eye-to-body size ratio of all mammals. These huge eyes provide this nocturnal animal with excellent night vision. 

The Philippine tarsier's habitat includes tropical rainforest with dense vegetation and trees that offer it protection like tall grasses, bushes and bamboo shoots. It prefers dense, low-level vegetation in secondary forests, with perching sites averaging 2 meters above the ground.  Early studies showed that the Philippine tarsier has a home range of 1 to 2 hectares, but more recent research shows that home ranges averaged 6.45 hectares for males and 2.45 hectares for females allowing for a density of 16 male and 41 female tarsiers per 100 ha.  Research findings also show that while both male and female tarsiers are solitary animals, they cross each other's paths under the cover of nightfall as they hunt for prey. They travel up to one and a half kilometers across the forest and the optimal area is more than six hectares.  The Philippine tarsier is amberous. Primarily insectivorous, its diet consists of live insects and it has also been observed to feed on spiders, small crustaceans, and small vertebrates such as small lizards and birds. The Philippine tarsier is a shy nocturnal animal that leads a mostly hidden life, asleep during the day and only active to look for food during the night. During the day, it sleeps in dark hollows close to the ground, near the trunks of trees and shrubs deep in the impenetrable bushes and forests. They only become active at night, and even then, with their much better sight and amazing ability to maneuver around trees, are very well able to avoid humans.  It is arboreal and is a vertical clinger and leaper, habitually clinging vertically to trees and is capable of leaping from branch to branch.

The Philippine Tarsier is solitary. However, it is found to have either monogamous or polygamous mating system where for one night they will meet to mate and then they go their separate ways again for another 12 months.  The Philippine tarsier's pregnancy or gestation period lasts about 6 months. Mating season begins in April to May.  The female gives birth to one offspring per gestation. The infant is born with a lot of hair and born with its eyes open. The females carry their infants in their mouth. A new born can already cling to branches and in less than a month after birth, it can start leaping.  The Philippine tarsier reproduces poorly in captivity.  There is no known negative impact of the Philippine tarsier on humans, just as long as it is in its native environment. However, when kept as pets, there is a possibility that the species may spread worms and other parasites to their human owners.  Tarsiers used to be kept as pets or sold for trade, although their survival in captivity is erratic due to their need for live insects upon which to feed.  The tarsier does not do well in captivity. Its life expectancy is shortened from anywhere from 2 years (if taken from the wild) to 12 years, as compared to the 24 years the tarsier can live to in the wild. The tarsier can develop sore eyes, which is an indication of a poor diet. Also the lighting usually used in captivity can cause long lasting damage to the eyes.  Another reason why the tarsier does not do well in captivity is its tendency to “commit suicide”. Because the tarsier can be described as shy and nervous many activities associated with captivity (such as camera flashes, being touched and being in an enclosure) stress the Philippine Tarsier. This leads to the tarsier hitting its head against “objects” which kills it because of the thin skull. 

For the past 45 million years, tarsiers have inhabited rainforests around the world, but now they only exist on a few islands in the Philippines, Borneo and Indonesia.  In Bohol, the Philippine tarsier was a common sight in the southern part of the island until the 1960s. Since then, the number has dwindled to as few as an estimated 1000 still left in the wild.  Once protected by the humid rainforests and mist-shrouded hills, these mysterious primates struggle to survive as their home is cleared for crop growing.  Due to the quickly growing human population, which causes more and more forests to be converted to farmland, housing areas and roads, the place where the Philippine tarsier can live its secluded life is disappearing.

So when we arrived there was a guide that was to take us around the one-hectare netted enclosure that is the home of ten tarsiers. These tarsiers are for both public viewing and study. The tarsiers are free to leave the enclosure to hunt and roam within the larger area of the Sanctuary.  The great thing for us is they must track the little fellas each morning so when the visitors come they know exactly where to take us to observe these little guys.  It was like when we trekked with the gorillas in Rwanda, but on a smaller scale.  So it didn’t take long for us to walk along a dry mud path, through a few tree fronds and there was our first little tarsier.  They were so cute and at first look with his eyes open he looked like a little Gremlin and then when they got sleepy and started to close his eyes he looked like Yoda from Star Wars.  I was literally standing 1.5m away from him and he was not worried at scared or skittish at all with our presence.  He heard a noise of some sort (not from us) and I got a first-hand view of his head doing the 180 degree turn, with his big boogly eyes looking around.  Seriously you just want to reach and touch them, if though you never would ever.  We then moved onto a female tarsier and her baby and there wasn’t much size difference between them and then we saw one more male tarsier further in the sanctuary, so we didn’t do too bad seeing 4 out of the 10 possibilities.  Really, during the day they are so adorable.  Once we were out of the netted enclosure, I watched a 10 minute video on the critter and at night time when they are roaming looking for food they are a lot scarier than what they are during the day!  They are starting to sound more and more like Gremlins.  But what a highlight and I wasn’t disappointed. 

I think we may have been ahead of schedule as Mark has been driving like Miss Daisy all morning and after the video Deboy asked if I wanted to get on a ferry that left at 4.20pm rather than the 6pm ferry.  With the journey time of 2.5 hours and I still get to do the whole itinerary it was a resounding yes please.  I think it goes to show how much faff time they add to itineraries and generally by nature I am not a faffer.  Our next stop before lunch was the Bohol Butterfly Sanctuary. The great thing about this tour so far was every time we stopped there was a local guide to take me around and explain things, it is nice to see that the love is being shared and that me visiting is helping more than one person and keeping people employed.  So I got a local ‘crew’ member from the sanctuary that not only showed me butterflies but they also gave a lecture on how butterflies are being formed (metamorphosis), how long do they live, difference between moth and butterfly, difference between male and female butterflies and many more information regarding butterflies.  I have been to butterfly houses before, but this one was done exceptionally well and I got to hold a real caterpillar and I also got to hold the largest caterpillar that turns into the largest moth in the world aka the Atlas Moth.  I was so…yik and ah and yick and ah but I held that massive green thing in my hand and then for good measure she put another one on there!!  Why not they must have been 10cm long and as round as a fat sausage.  It was disgusting but cool all at the same time.  I then got to see some butterflies that had just hatched out of their cocoons that morning.  COOL.  From here we walked into the netted enclosure and here we found several kinds of butterflies of different sizes and colors. As the butterflies have been born in captivity they are pretty social things and didn’t mind getting picked up and put in my hair for a photo and then popped on the face for good measure and then on the shirt.  They didn’t try and flap away or anything.  It was amazing and THAT has never been done before.  About one-third of the 915 butterflies found in the Philippines are endemic to the country.  One of the largest butterflies in the world and the largest in the Philippines, the Magellan Birdwing can be found here. The largest moth, the Atlas moth, can be found in the Philippines as well.  My ‘crew’ lady asked why I was travelling on my own and firstly I thought what was the short answer to that and it was a very good question.  It was a great stop and now it was time for lunch.

Lunch was to be spent on a floating restaurant that departs from the town of Loboc.  We boarded the boat at 11.30am and our buffet lunch was ready to be served.  There were several other groups on board and I was wondering where I would get seated and I had a table to myself as my guide sat with the other guides for lunch.  I was fine with this, but there were times that he would see me taking a self -take photo and wouldn’t even offer to take a photo, which I thought was poor form and there were several times through the morning that he was on his mobile phone while I was waiting.  That makes me mad.  But the cruise was relaxing; the colour of the water was a beautiful ‘Tiffany’ blue.  There were around another 5-7 floating restaurants on the water, but they seemed to time them all that they didn’t all leave at the same time.  We departed at 12 noon for the 1 hour cruise down to the Busay Falls and back again.  The floor of the boat was made from bamboo and if you had something fine, like a chain or a credit card it would have slipped through the cracks between the bamboo sticks.  I was wondering how much weight you could put on them with me walking around taking photos?  I decided to not risk it and walked on the cross struts when I could.  Imagine if I feel through- now that would be embarrassing.  We had live music in the form of a guy singing with an electric guitar and he was good, good enough to pass the time.  It was pure magic, the tall coconut trees over hanging the wide Loboc River.  Half way down the river we stopped to see some local dancing and music of about 20 people, we tipped them and then we turned around at the falls and then made our way back.  It is so lush and green here and it was a great way to spend lunch.     

There were 2 more stops of the day before I had to get back to the ferry terminal.  Once was on the itinerary and the other was an extra if I was interested in stopping off to see the biggest python in captivity.  Deboy was making out that I would be holding the damn thing, and he told me I have to face my fears, so I said okay we could stop to have a look at the python on the way back to port.  But I could put that off a little longer as out next stop was The Chocolate Hills.  They are an unusual geological formation in Bohol.  There are at least 1,260 hills but there may be as many as 1,776 hills spread over an area of more than 50 square kilometers.  They are covered in green grass that turns brown (like chocolate) during the dry season, hence the name.  I was there in the wet season, so they were beautiful and green, so it was hard to picture them brown, but what an amazing sight all the same.  They are featured in the provincial flag and seal to symbolize the abundance of natural attractions in the province.  They are in the Philippine Tourism Authority's list of tourist destinations in the Philippines and they have been declared the country's third National Geological Monument and proposed for inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage List.  The Chocolate Hills form a rolling terrain of haycock hills – mounds of a generally conical and almost symmetrical shape.  Estimated to be from 1,268 to about 1,776 individual mounds, these cone-shaped or dome-shaped hills are actually made of grass covered limestone. The domes vary in sizes from 30 to 50 meters high with the largest being 120 meters in height. These unique mound-shaped hills are scattered by the hundreds throughout the towns of Carmen, Batuan and Sagbayan.  During the dry season, the grass-covered hills dry up and turn chocolate brown. This transforms the area into seemingly endless rows of "chocolate kisses". The branded confection is the inspiration behind the name, Chocolate Hills.

There is a government owned viewing station located in Carmen called the "Chocolate Hills Complex".  The Complex has a restaurant, hotel with swimming pool and an observation deck.  This is where we climbed to the top to get a magnificent view of the hills.  The deck is 64m above the ground and there were a total of 214 steps leading to the observation or view deck.   Deboy warned me prior to getting here there were 214 steps and I had to conceal a laugh.  Yeah I may not look fit pal but that will be a walk in the park after my 1200 step at Sigiriya or the 22km I walked through tea plantations, so 214 steps are nothing AND once we started the climb, it was him puffing more than me-HA I say. Ha.  Once at the top we could view the landscape that was covered with more than a thousand Chocolate Hills that offered a 360-degree panorama of the surrounding area.  It was magic up here, my only concern was there seemed to be a storm brewing which adds colour and definition to photos but there was some lightning that started to flash across the sky and with a large antenna on the same hill as us, it was time for us to move on back down to some safety.  Seriously the strikes were really not that far away from us and I am glad that Deboy was holding the umbrella, not up of course but less metal for me to carry the better I say!

So it was time for the 45 minute drive back to town with a stop at the Reptile Park.  I was seriously worried I was going to hold this snake, like Pops did when we were at Sigiriya, but then when I saw the python in the 3mx10m cage I knew that I wasn’t here to life the thing.  My first reaction was NO WAY.  This snake was MASSIVE.  Seriously it was HUGE and the plan was to get in the cage with it.  The python’s name is Prony.  She is a female and is reputed to have one of the longest 10m and heaviest 300 kg python in captivity.  Prony is known to be the biggest python in captivity ever.  Named after its captor, the python has caught the attention of many local and foreign tourists, not only for its size but particularly on how it has been fed. Feeding is done during full moon, so thank goodness I was there during the middle of the month!!!!  Anyway the plan was for me to get in the large cage; it was the size of a small room and gets my photo taken with her.  She was all coiled up with her massive head resting on herself in the middle of the coil.  I was actually terrified and Deboy had to go in first and stood next to her and she didn’t move an inch.  I said I am not sure I could go in, and the handler and Deboy both egging me on, telling me to conquer my own fear, I decided they were right and I stood next to her, but behind her head so that she couldn’t see me.  Deboy had my camera and told me to kneel down next to her, so I went on my knees, he took the picture and then I was out of there.

We got back to the ferry terminal at 3.45pm.  Deboy made sure I got my newly changed ticket ok and walked me to the departures hall.  I had tipped Mark before I left the car and even though I wasn’t totally happy with Deboy, the good in me tipped him the whole amount.  So our ferry was supposed to leave at 4.20pm, but was late in arriving in so I had some more time in the departure lounge.  There were plenty of seats to choose from and the chairs looked like they belonged next to a pool or on a beach, they literally looked like sun chairs.  At least they were comfortable.  I still hadn’t seen many western tourists and even looking around the hall, there would have been a handful out of the 200 people.  I knew I wasn’t going to get back to the hotel till about 7.30pm, so I bought some siomai (small dumplings) and a bak pau (Indonesian) - pork in a dough type thing and they are delicious.  This would do me for dinner and I could have a great big breakfast tomorrow morning.  So we finally bordered the ferry at 4.45pm and no flies on the ferry guys, once everyone was on board they closed up and we were on our way.  This ferry was just about full and I was lucky that this time I was allocated a window AND we were on a new ferry.  There was a flat screen TV, air vents and it was all shiny and new.  I couldn’t sleep, even though I had been up now for 14 hours.  So I read my book, played solitaire and listened to some tunes.  It was a smooth ride and when we got back to Cebu my morning’s driver was there with a sign with my name and 30 minutes later I was back at the hotel.  I was knackered.  It was a massive day, it was good as it kept me busy and after trying to complete another blog before bed, I just had to give up and turn in for the night.  I have a free day tomorrow and I plan on doing nothing, as the last 5 days have been insane and it will be nice to not be somewhere for the day-oh besides breakfast, but I have until 10am to get there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment