Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Thursday, October 4, 2012

MEET MY NEW INTREPID GROUP OF SRI LANKA


WEATHER: Hot and steamy 31C

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Met my guide this morning-Indika

BUMMER OF THE DAY: New group jitters

WORD OF THE DAY:  Intrepid Guides ROCK

THANKS TO ALL MY WATER CHARITY DONATIONS SO FAR:
Lisa Jones, Lisa Farrugia, Michele McEachern, Jude Mills, Julia Elton-Bott, Pamela L. Zander Suhr, Robert Poole, Simon Hooker, Jamie Anderson, Paul Mills, Liz Jones and Kaitlin Ellis xx

This afternoon I meet my fellow travelers for the next 2 weeks.  I got a phone call this morning at 9am saying that I would be staying in my room and that someone would be joining me sometime today-woo hoo I didn’t have to pack up all my stuff and move.  They did ask me to come downstairs and sign new paperwork for it was an Intrepid accommodation night tonight.  So I went and had breakfast and then stopped by reception on my way back to my room firstly to collect my washing and sign these papers.  Well as it turned out I have to move rooms, but the room was being cleaned so she would call me when it was done and the bellboy would come for my bag. 

My Intrepid leader was in reception, so it was nice to meet him this morning.  His name is Indika and he looks quite sweet.  I was given some paperwork to fill in before the meeting this afternoon and if I had any questions to just ask.  I did ask about an ATM and he said we will stop by a bank tomorrow and if I needed any money he could give me some now and I could pay him back tomorrow.  That’s nice, but as it was the hotel took credit card so I could settle my bill on that and keep the cash, and I will just get some more from the ATM tomorrow.  So back to the reception desk I then paid for my meals for the last 3 days and also my washing which all came to 9180LKR and my washing was 2238LKR of that which is around 17AUD and I am thinking that is quite expensive, I think I have been ripped off there, but with it all done and in a bag next to me I really don’t have a leg to stand on do I.  So I paid it all up and went back to my room to pack all my crap.  Now knowing how hot it is here I don’t need some of the clothes in my bag and was thinking of leaving some stuff here at the hotel, which usually wouldn’t be an issue but we are not coming back here to Negombo, we are staying at Colombo for the last night and my flight leaves, LEAVES at 7.20am on departure day.  I may speak to Indika this afternoon and see if maybe we can get the stuff sent to the hotel in Colombo this afternoon maybe?  We’ll see.  I got the call at 11.30am that I could now change rooms, so with the bellboy showing me to the room, we passed 3 people on the stairs and I just had a feeling that maybe one of them was my roomie.  We turned up to the room and my roomie had already left with the key, so I think it must have been them, so we headed back to reception and I saw the ladies and the gentleman we had passed and I asked if one of them was in room 23 and Lenore piped up she was.  So I introduced myself and then headed back to the room as they headed for lunch.  Didn’t get a good vibe, but we won’t be judging any books by their covers just yet.

The new room was similar to my last one, maybe mine was a little nicer but the problem being there are NO power points in the room that I have a charger for.  The TV and fridge have plugs and are those funky triple holes and there is a spare triple hole in the bathroom, no European plugs to be seen.  Useless.   So I will need to ask reception of they have an adapter and I may have to find one on my travels if they exist.  I can’t not have flat electronics and I also can’t be the only person in the world to not have an adapter for Sri Lankan plugs.  At the end of the day as long as the air-conditioning is working and I can somehow charge my gadgets, what else could I possibly need?  The afternoon was spent at the restaurant where I had lunch, loaded a blog and back to the room for a LLD (little lie down) before our meeting at 5.30pm.  I wonder what kind of group we are going to have.

So we all met at reception at 5.30pm and then Indika took us upstairs to one of the function rooms (air-conditioned) and ran through the tour, the do’s, the don’ts, what to expect blah blah blah.  Points from the meeting that I thought interesting:
·       4 years ago if you had of come to Sri Lanka it would have been a different country as they were still fighting a 30 year war with the Tamils and the Singhalese.  60,000 men lost their lives during this period, all over pieces of land-isn’t it always territorial or religious reasons these things start!?
·      Some of our hotels/guest houses we will have to pay 500LDK (4AUD) for the air-conditioning –YES YES
·      The accommodations will be simple but clean-anything else will be a bonus
·       Look after your keys as some places DON’T have master key- Uh Oh
·       If you have Mossie coils in your room make sure they are near anything flammable-death by mossie coil
·       Sri Lankans eat with their hands-good practice for me for Ethiopia
·       Phone calls from phone centres are .40c a minute-from hotels 1.20 a minute
·       Wi-Fi connections sound promising at most places-internet cafes are 77c for an hour……
·       There are 3 main languages in Sri Lanka-Singhalese, Tamil and English
·       Costs for meals not included are approx.: 600LKR (4.60AUD) breakfast, 800LKR (6AUD) for lunch and 1100LKR (8.50AUD) for dinner.  Soft drinks are 100LKR (75cAUD) and beers are 250LKR (1.92AUD)

Indika briefly went into the Tamil Tigers and their history, but says that it is not so dangerous now but I am sure everyone has heard of Tamil Tigers.  The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam; commonly known as the LTTE or the Tamil Tigers was a separatist militant organization that was based in northern Sri Lanka. Founded in May 1976 it waged a violent secessionist and nationalist campaign to create an independent state in the north and east of Sri Lanka for Tamil people. This campaign evolved into the Sri Lankan Civil War, which ran from 1983 until 2009, when the LTTE was defeated by the Sri Lankan Military.  At the height of its power, the LTTE possessed a well-developed militia and carried out many high-profile attacks, including the assassinations of several high-ranking Sri Lankan and Indian politicians. The LTTE is the only separatist militant organization to assassinate two world leaders: Sri Lankan President Ranasinghe Premadasa in 1993 and former Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1991. Civilian massacres, suicide bombings and acts of ethnic cleansing were integral parts of its pursuit to create a monoethnic Tamil Eelam. The LTTE pioneered the use of suicide belts, and used light aircraft in some of its attacks. As a result of its tactics, it is currently proscribed as a terrorist organization by 32 countries, but has extensive support amongst the Sri Lankan Tamil diaspora in Europe and North America, and amongst some Tamils in India. 

I like the way that Indika phrased that sometimes we will have to sacrifice our own happiness for the sake of the group.  That’s a nice way to put it.  Sacrifice our own happiness.  I like it.  There is a Buddhist saying that the most important time is NOW and the most important person is you.  We were also offered a tipping kitty which I love the idea of, so we all put in 3800LKR (29AUD) for the 15 days and then Indika looks after all the tips for us.  Yes please, that sounds great.  There were a few murmurs on this from the group and I think tipping really is tough on every single traveler.  It can be uncomfortable, awkward and everyone has an opinion on whether to tip or not.  I am a tipper, if people deserve it then I tip well and if they don’t I am sad to say I am still a tipper, but I may not leave the full amount unless the service has been super bad, then I won’t leave a penny.  Each to their own and at the end of the day it is what you think they should get and it shouldn’t matter what one person gives to the next.  I just get upset when guides/leaders have gone out of their way to help in some form and then are not tipped properly…… but that is just me. 

So there are 12 of us on the trip plus Indika makes 13.  I like that size group, not too many and not too small.  It is an older crowd, but having not spoken to the 2 young girls from Northern Ireland, we have had a laugh during the meeting, so I think I may have found some partners for the trip and the 2 kiwi’s Gary and Sue (who are living in the UK) seem like they will also be good value.  All the others seem nice, but I just haven’t yet had a chance to know them properly yet.  But it is always nice to get a connection straight up with people and know that you are on the same wave length and have people you will enjoy this magic experience with.  I have wanted to come to Sri Lanka for a long time so it is pretty cool that I am here now and after meeting the group, our tour leader and the Sri Lankan people I think I am going to have a marvelous time for the next 2 weeks.  I am still worried about this walk for 1.5 days, I will need to speak to Indika about that, but otherwise the itinerary looks amazing. 

I would also like to share some excerpts from our welcome notes.
Please tell me if you have any problems, you feel unwell or anything happens of which I should be aware.  Unfortunately nobody has taught me the skills of mind reading yet…..
Please always be positive in your approach to every situation.  We want to create enough good Karma to stop wars.  If you have a problem or something you want to complain about please come to me.  Others on the trip do not want to hear about it.  But I do.

In return for your co-operation I will give you 110%

Culture shock, like altitude sickness can hit anyone, you may suffer mild symptoms of disorientation and alienation to serious loss of confidence, which may have you acting strangely childlike. DO NOT PANIC.  This is not bad this is you simply adjusting to your surroundings.  A little time, knowledge and experience will soon have you eating with your hands and chanting with the monks.

You are embarking on an adventure, and may have spent a lot of time and money getting this far.  From now on, I recommend you expect the unexpected.  Leave your Western ideals at home as there is no place in Sri Lanka for them.  Enjoy the difference after all this is the reason why we travel in the first place.

I am offering you a trip of a lifetime-it’s up to you to enjoy it-Lets go make some memories.

I like all that and it was on a list that contained a few more ‘words of wisdom’.  The meeting concluded an hour later at 6.30pm and then we were all meeting at 7pm to catch tuk tuks to a restaurant for dinner.  Dinner was on a beach. Literally our feet in the sand and because we were next to the ocean I decided to go with grilled prawns and they were delicious.  I am not sure how I am going to go with the staple food of Sri Lanka being curry, but as long as they aren’t too spicy I will be able to handle it, but I am not sure I can do 15 days of the stuff.  It takes me back to my India trip when Drew and I had never eaten Indian food before our 16 days trip and then when we got home we never ate Indian food again.  16 days was too much for me and I got violently ill on my last day and have pretty much sworn me off Indian fare for life.  I got to know Serena and Melissa better over dinner and we all decided to walk back to the hotel, which was only 15 minutes away passing a church that was having a large outdoor mass as part of a religious ceremony that was happening all week.  So we watch for a few minutes before getting back to the hotel at 9pm and I retired to air AIR-CONDITIONED room to read and repack.  I have decided that the monster is too BIG for public transport on this trip and have decided to leave a bunch of stuff that I will definitely not need while I am here including a beanie, gloves, jeans, cardigan, dress tops, IPad just to name a few things.  By the time I had used the bag I had bought in Thailand to house all this stuff I seriously think I have taken at least 10kg out of the monster and I have also detached the front backpack leaving that behind and it totally looks like a new bag and not so scary and monster looking.  I will then either come back to Negombo to collect the bag or we get it delivered to the Colombo hotel when we get back, but either way I am so glad I did it and now have a spring in my step!

So I have now met my new group and I think I am going to be okay. 

I’m looking forward to this trip, even though it is hot as an oven here and can’t wait to hit the road tomorrow.     


No comments:

Post a Comment