Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Saturday, October 20, 2012

POOL, SUN, COCKTAILS AND A BEACH


WEATHER: HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT 34C

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Having air-conditioning

BUMMER OF THE DAY: Possibly staying out in the sun too long

WORD OF THE DAY:  Happy Birthday BG

DISTANCE TRAVELLED: Walk of the beach and back and to my room and back-maybe 2km

BUDDHA QUOTE FOR THE DAY:
"If you light a lamp for someone else it will also brighten your path."

Ahhhhhhhhh-feeling a little bit crusty after the beers I had last night and I only had 2.5 bottles and a cocktail.  Goodness I must be getting old if that is all it takes these days to give me a headache, and I never get them.  I could not imagine waking up in one of those small bungalows this morning with the sun beating down heating it up, if the truth be known I got so cold last night that I got up and put on my tracky pants and my jumper and I would have put socks on if I could have found them in the dark at 3am in the morning.  I also ended up turning off the air for a while and then I switched it back on twice!  Wait till I tell the guys that when I see them at breakfast.  It was nice to not have to rush off and be somewhere.  Lenore headed to breakfast at 7.30am and I wasn’t far behind after a shower and I took my laptop with me as I had promised to set the trio up on Facebook when I got some decent internet.  The connection wasn’t that great yesterday but it seems to be quite fast today.  So I had to actually give Pops an email address and then I created a Facebook account for the 3 of them.  Welcome to the 21st century people.  It was then that I found out it was Christine’s birthday today.  She had kept it all hush hush for certain reasons, but once the girls came back from town we were going to have lunch down on the beach and a cocktail to celebrate.  What an amazing place to celebrate a birthday!  Breakfast was a buffet and even though it ran from 7-10am we all seemed to rock up at the same time at around 8am.  After speaking to a few of them it was hot in the bungalows and they didn’t really have a very comfortable sleep.  I was more than happy to tell them about how cold it was last night and rugging up in extra clothes…..  Gee I am a bitch sometimes. 

So Pops and I stayed behind as Lenore and Christine caught a tuk tuk into town in search of some lace, which is known in this area.  I was going to get some sun today.  No blogging (well this morning anyway) but the ocean looked a little rough for my liking, so I decided to stick with the pool and my book.  Pops choose to body surf some waves and spend some time down on the beach.  By the time the girls got back I had been floating around in the pool for 2 hours and I didn’t have any cream on, which is not unusual but I had a few comments from passing group members that I was starting to sizzle.  Lenore and Christine wanted to have a swim before we went for lunch and when they came back in their cozies they decided to swim in the ocean rather than the pool.  Christine asked if I wanted to come and I said no thanks it looks too rough for me, and she said come on it’s the Indian Ocean after all and it’s my birthday, so I caved and went for a dip in the sea and even though you had to keep your wits about you I actually enjoyed the swim.  The only thing when I got out, there was sand everywhere and it is the sticky stuff which I am sure will require a good scrub to get off in the shower this afternoon.  As we started our walk down the beach I could literally see my skin start to turn a bright shade of red and I knew that I was going to be looking a little ‘lobby’ (lobster) later this afternoon.  Pops had already started to call me RED, but he couldn’t talk as he had also got some colour and we were looking like 2 peas in a pod.  Lunch was at a café that literally was on the beach.  We would have been 3m from the water and at one point a wave came right up to the table and nearly wet Lenore’s feet.  If you looked up the beach all you could see was beautiful sandy beach with tall palm trees and if you looked down the beach you saw exactly the same thing.  This truly is a piece of heaven on earth.

Sri Lanka has been known by many names over the centuries. During the years under the British occupation is was known as Ceylon and many years before that it was called Serendib, a word now used to describe utter tranquility and relaxation.  It is said that Marco Polo visited this tear shaped Island in the 14th century and described it as “undoubtedly the finest island in the world ".  Mirissa and its breathtaking sandy beach pretty much transforms your dreams and visions of a tropical paradise into an everyday reality.  Located close to the Southern tip of the Island of Sri Lanka and only about 200 km from the Equator, this secluded crescent shaped beach is the perfect place to sit back, relax and forget about all the hussle and bustle of your other life that’s a million miles away.  This small sandy tropical beach boasts some of Sri Lanka’s best and most stunning sunsets and sunrises.

After lunch we decided to take a stroll to the point where there was a small island only 15m from the mainland.  It looked like you would get some great photos from up there looking back where we had just walked.  So we got to the point and we actually had to wade hip deep through a small sand bar to get to the other side.  So with our bags raised above our heads to keep our camera and purses dry the four of us waded across navigating some breaking waves and rocks on the bottom of the sea.  Once we were across, we had to climb a few rocky stairs with no railing and then there were better conditioned stairs to get us the rest of the way to the top of the peninsular island thing.  And what a view it was.  It was stunning as we got a look back to where we had come from and then we saw the other side of the point that didn’t have a beach but plenty of palm trees and blue water.  I think this is what you call paradise and I am wondering how this can be topped.  I know I am going to Boracay next week and it is rated one of the ten best beaches in the world, but Mirissa Beach ain’t doing too bad for itself that is for sure.  So after a few snaps including some self takes of the quad (trio sounds better-but I am a new addition) we carefully went back down the steps, back across the sand bar, back to the beach and then it was time for this black duck to get out of the sun and for me to know that myself, then you know, that I know, I have been out in it for too long.  They guys stopped along the way to check out some drink prices and menus for their happy hour this afternoon, but I was now on a mission and kept walking back to the resort to wait for them in the shade.  It was now 3pm and I had been in the sun since 10.30am this morning.

The plan was to reconvene at 5.30pm for happy hour before dinner tonight at 7pm.  Lenore hit the beach, Christine had a small nap and Pops was around.  I had to get out of the sun, so I was more than happy to go back to our AIR-CONDITIONED room and spend a few hours blogging, watching a movie and having a shower.  I had a massive headache and it probably had something to do with dehydration, the sun, a few beers last night and not drinking enough water today.  So I skipped happy hour (just when I was IN now) and rested till 7pm and dinner.  There were a few sunburned looking people at the table tonight and I think the sun had zapped a lot of our energy today.  I had to keep reminding people I was BROWN and not red…. Please……come on…….  Indika is all over peoples birthdays with BK having his on the first night of the tour and after Lenore spoke to Indika about having a low key thing they decided a cake would still be a nice surprise so Christine didn’t quite get away with everyone finding out, but thank goodness it wasn’t from me.  I had to nickname her BG (birthday girl) so people didn’t know what we were talking about.  After everyone had left for bed I hung around for one drink and then I was also following the crowds to bed, but to our AIR-CONDITIONED room of course. WOO HOO.  Every time I open room 402 and that cool air hits your sweaty skin I don’t think anything beats that first initial feeling on a hot day/ night.  Hope the others sleep well tonight – SUCKERS!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment