Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

MEET MY NEW ROOMIE, MY NEW AND LAST GROUP-NEPAL ENCOMPASSED


WEATHER: Just right sunny and 24C

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Meeting my new roomie and she R-O-C-K-S

BUMMER OF THE DAY: Cant think of a single thing

WORD OF THE DAY: Feeling the LOVE

I saw another bus of people depart this morning from my window.  I wish I had an urge to trek, but it is just not in me to do so.  So again I wish thus group safe travels.  I learnt after yesterday’s breakfast surge to not go down before 9am.  I haven’t mentioned that I have had a knock on my door every morning after 8am asking if I had any laundry.  I had packed a bag last night of stuff to get washed and it was weird to think this could be the last time, well maybe one more, that I would have some-one else do my washing.  That is a sobering thought having to my own laundry again. Ughhhhhhh.  Is that a reality check or what?  So after my washing was collected at 9am, perfect timing, I headed down to breakfast and all the trekkers had left and there were just a handful of people.  Now this is how to have breakfast.  I checked in at reception about where my new room would be and if it was ready for me to make my move and it was, surprisingly attitude girl was all over it, and handed me a key telling me, not sure with a little bit of mock in there, that I was on the same floor, I was just 2 doors down from my current room.  Dang it, the bitch had kept me on the same floor.  This firth floor will be the death of me.  It was funny I actually got a message from Kate today and I replied back telling how this hotel reminded me of the one that we shared in La Paz, the highest capital city in the world, so we were at around 2900m altitude, and we were on the 6th floor of that hotel with no lift.  We were puffing there let me tell you!!

So even though reception chick is still rude, she gave me my new key and I said I’ll move my gear and then bring the old key back and get this she actually smiled!!!!!  She also mentioned that my roomie Jessica would be joining me shortly.  So I headed back to pack.  I’m going to leave a bag here of things that I won’t be needing.  Just think if I get funny looks on my ‘normal shorts and shirts’ what looks I would get if I donned a dress!!!!  OMG I wonder if that is scandalous?  I have a feeling I will not be needing dresses, cardigans, roman and ballet crocs and a whole plethora of other things, so I am more than happy to leave them for my return.  I am not sure on what our mode of transport is for the tour but a lighter bag is always a plus, especially as I am still waiting patiently for my arm to heal.  The beauty of being on the same floor I could make multiple trips without too much fuss, so maybe I got the last laugh today with reception Nazi. Ha ha ha.  I popped a sticky note on the new room telling Jessica that I was in room 520, I would hate her to come all the way up to the room to find it locked, head back down 5 flights to find no key at reception, would be a pain but as it worked I had successfully moved all my stuff and within half an hour a knock came at the door.   

I opened the door to my new roomie, Jessica, and I knew straight away that we would get along famously.  It is funny when you just know these things sometimes and being a fellow Australia is always a good sign.  I found out that Jess has been in Nepal for the last 5 weeks and she has climbed Everest and the Annapurna trek and her Tibet tour had been cancelled and she booked on this at the last minute.  Well lucky for me I say.  So we chatted for a while and before I knew it I had told her about my breakup from Zeme, my move to Ethiopia and how I ended up travelling for 20 months.  All that and I hadn’t even known Jess for more than an hour.  Goodness she probably thinks I am some sort of freak, but I tell you it felt good to speak to some-one.  We headed out for lunch at 12 and as the weather was so beautiful, we decided to look for a roof top restaurant where we could enjoy some of the sun’s rays.  We ate, we shared a beer, and I couldn’t help it I filled Jess in on the whole Zeme saga.  She must be thinking I am a real nutter by now and I apologize in advance Jess but I will make a promise and a vow that I will not keep talking about the whole sorry mess the whole trip.  I feel I have now got it off my chest and I feel like a weight has been lifted just speaking it out loud to some-one.  A stranger no more, who I have only known for 2 hours but it just felt right and comfortable.  Maybe I should have offered to pay for her lunch as a ‘Dear Debbie’ thanks.     

When you travel with people it really makes a difference.  Walking down the same street I did on my own yesterday even feels different.  I am a people person and I like to have company, so it was great to know the company I have for a roomie is a ‘keeper’.  We agreed on a lot of stuff and we seem to share the same values on things, so I think I have at least lucked out on my traveling bud.  Fingers crossed for the rest of the group tonight.  With the room change I have found that the internet connection hasn’t worked in the new room, but I’m okay with that now that I have ‘people’ now to converse with and I won’t be so reliant on my computer now.  Which isn’t a bad thing.  I just have a blog to load and that was about it. 

Jessica went to pop her washing in and get a well-deserved massage after trekking for 5 weeks, 8 hours a day (crazy) and I just chillaxed in the room till out meeting at 6pm.  So it was time to meet the new group.  Jess and I were going to compare notes on what we thought of everyone after the meeting.  From experience I have learnt that first impressions count, there is no doubt about that, but I have also learnt that it can take people a few days to come out of their shells, people grow on you, people to show their true colours etc….. so as important as it is for a first impression I certainly hold judgment now on people till at least the first 4 days.  There are always people you aren’t going to get along with, or heaven forbid people don’t like you (WHAT) but that is part of group travel and you just need to deal with it as it happens.  This is my 23rd tour in 20 months and I have to say I have been quite lucky with groups and people (a few bad eggs) and I am thankful for all the experiences I have had, good and bad.  This will definitely be the last tour for a while as I try and settle in a new country and start a new life.  I do have a backup plan and it dies involve a 2 month tour in April, but I hope that I won’t have to use that plan and finally settle down for a little while and have somewhere that I can call home……

The new group looks great.  First feel vibe is good and besides having a trekking champion in our mist (Jessica) we also have an Olympiad.  Sam represented Australia at the Olympics for synchronized swimming and it was funny as I watched back home the telecast of the synchronized swimming and thought how amazing it looked and there was a couple of Russians and their routine I clearly remember just how awesome they looked.  So I bombarded Sam with all sorts of questions and I feel proud to be traveling with someone that has worked hard to represent our country.  Being an ex-athlete (I was in the AIS for 2 years for squash) I know what sacrifices sometimes have to be made.  Satcha is our guide and we will also be having a ‘trainee’ as such that will join us for the last stage of his training which makes a group of 10 people plus Padama and Satcha makes 12.  A nice size.  We would have only had 6 if the Tibet tour hadn’t of been cancelled last week.  There is a Congress meeting on in the country and the government has closed the country and all the foreigners were kicked out, so Intrepid had to cancel their tour.  Oh well Tibet’s loss is our gain as Jess wouldn’t have been on this tour if that had happened and it has been great to have her around to help me take my mind off all the other stuff that has been going on. 

So Nepal Encompassed officially started today and I think it will be a great tour to officially finish my World Odyssey on.  So sending smiles from Kathmandu and I want to let you all know that I am doing okay. 


No comments:

Post a Comment