Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Sunday, October 21, 2012

THREE ASIAN COUNTRY HOP


WEATHER: Travelling day

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Departing and arriving on the same day

BUMMER OF THE DAY: Such an early start

WORD OF THE DAY:  window

DISTANCE TRAVELLED: 5124.20KM

BUDDHA QUOTE FOR THE DAY:
Let us rise up and be thankful,
for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little,
and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick,
and if we got sick, at least we didn't die;
so, let us all be thankful.

The one good thing about travelling within a continent is you should get to your destination on the same day if you had a morning flight.  This was the upside for me getting up at 3.30am this morning for a 4am pick-up from the hotel.  I didn’t end up having any of the breakfast items I had bought at the supermarket yesterday, but I thought of knew that would happen.  I know that the ‘trio’ will be able to eat what I left thought as they were staying in Colombo a few more days after the tour.  It would be contribution to happy hour.  At 3.55am there was a knock at the door and Christine was standing there as promised last night and Lenore had also changed as we waited in the lobby for the transfer to arrive.  There were a lot of men hanging around the lobby, I think some of them were taxi drivers and the reception guy was fast asleep behind the desk.  The transfer arrived right on time and the girls helped me with my bags and with a final hug and promises to keep in touch I waved goodbye to 2 people I know I will keep in touch with.  It was super sweet that they got up so early to wave me off.  Thanks gals. 

It was still dark so early in the morning and there was no traffic on the roads and even taking that into account the transfer took 45 minutes.  I would hate to think how long it would take during normal traffic, as the Sri Lankan traffic can be a nightmare at times.  That is also another plus of arriving/departing into a city at god awful hours.  The first time I arrived into Nairobi was at 3.45am and it took me 15 minutes to get to my hotel.  The second time I went back my flight was delayed by 5 hours arriving in at 8.45am and it took me 1 hour and 35 minutes to get to the same hotel the only difference being was the traffic.  I arrived at the airport at 4.45am and I am not sure how my arm is going to hold up hoisting my bag to and from trolleys, but I really don’t have a choice and I have made sure that I have plenty of pills on hand to get me through the day if needed.  I really haven’t noticed any real improvement since the accident, so I will just have to keep an eye on it in the coming days and if it doesn’t feel like it is healing I will need to make a doctor’s appointment in either Cebu or Boracay.  In the meantime the transfer guy got me a trolley so I was spared the first lift of the ‘monster’.  You had to go through a body scanner to gain access to the building, you then had to work out what gate your flight was leaving from, which differentiated what security check you went through to get your bags scanned and then finally to the check-in counters. So the trolley had to be left, all 3 bags hoiked on the belt, the run to find a new trolley, and then reload so as not to use my arm too much.  There were over 10 counters open so I didn’t have to wait at all.  My bag was 22.2kg and when I asked for my usual window seat, he told me there were none available.  WTF.  What is with Sri Lankan Airlines and their seat allocations?  I emailed the girls in the office about pre-booking the seat on the way home after I didn’t get the window seat initially on the way there and the computer system wouldn’t let you do it, so how the hell 2 hours and 10 minutes before the flight there are no window seats left of they don’t let you pre-allocate seats.  Well the flight is only 4 hours, so I will just have to suck it up, but I know that I will be sleepy after such an early start, but I will just have to do the head floppage for this section of my journey.  There was another passport and ticket check before you finally made it into the departures area.  There were a lot of people around for 5.30am in the morning and when I checked the departure monitor there were 12 flights departing before mine and my flight was at 7.20am.  I guess there is always people worse off than you, just imagine what time they had to get up to catch their flights!  So I had nearly 2 hours to kill.  All the duty free shops were open and all the food outlets, but I didn’t have my shopping mojo with me, I think I may have left that in the US somewhere as I have had no great inkling in buying souvenirs (except magnets and postcards now).  Maybe after 19 months the novelty is starting to wear off.  I did see those masks again that I liked, but I still have no more room since yesterday so I had to walk straight past them.  The great thing about Colombo’s International Airport is they have free Wi-Fi internet at just about at every departure gate.  There are no seats, standing only, I guess this discourages people from spending too much time on them, but as there was no-one waiting I spent the next 45 minutes cleaning up my email account and stalking on Facebook.  The internet is always a great way to kill some time and the plan works, my legs were getting tired from standing so long, so I logged off and made my way to the gate.  It wasn’t open yet, but I found a seat and, and just tried to keep my eyes open as I played solitaire on my IPod.  The gate opened 30 minutes later and we filed in for yet another passport and ticket check, a scanning of our hand luggage and a frisk for me with my Ethiopian bangles.  When I got to the ticket scanner I enquired if there was a window seat available and the woman told me that check-in hadn’t closed yet, but she would keep an eye on it and if one came up she would let me know.  I thought that was nice till I saw her scan me in and then added my boarding pass to where everyone else’s had been filed and no note written down.  She had no intention of doing anything.  Oh well, I lucked out in Singapore on my way down, so I will just need to suck this one up. 

Our call came to board and my check-in chick didn’t even bat an eye lid and I was far too tired (already) to make a fuss or double check, so I boarded and I was sitting in the last row on an aisle and when I arrived there were 2 Japanese business men in my row and they were sitting in the aisle and middle, the window was free!!!  So I told the aisle guy that was my seat but I would be happy to sit by the window and they were so nice and so accommodation they said wherever I wanted to sit I could.  How amazing is that, so I wasn’t going to play the ‘are you sure’ game and I thanked them profusely and took the window.  Thank-you Japanese business men, thank-you travel god and maybe that is a little Karma coming back to me in a good way?  The flight was 3 hours and 40 minutes and we were in an A320 aircraft with a configuration of 3x3.  Both planes I have been on with Sri Lankan have seemed brand new and they also had in seat TV’s where they had a selection of movies, games etc…. to choose from.  We took off on time which is always a relief as I only have a 3 hour connection in Singapore.  This is a comfortable transfer.  The last one I did where I had only 2 hours was also ok, but I didn’t have a lot of time to fluff around-I had to keep moving the whole time to make sure I was at the gate on time.  So for anybody having separate tickets in Singapore when you have to collect your bags and change terminals you need at least a 2 hour window.  Anything less than that you would still probably make it, taking into account no snaffu time, and it would be a rush and stressful-but you may just do it under 2 hours.  Breakfast was served pretty much after takeoff and then before my tray was even taken away I was fast asleep.  When I woke up my tray was gone.  I went back to sleep.  When I woke up the Singapore immigration card was in my pocket.  I went back to sleep.  When I woke up again my Japanese friend was handing back the menu as they were being collected before landing, and then I stayed awake.  It turned out my Japanese business men were a blessing for me and they looked after me as I was asleep.  Every time I woke I could hear them talking though, they didn’t stop the whole flight-but they were super nice to me and they even got my bag down from the overhead for me and they waited for me to go first when we went to get off the plane.  So thank-you guys for looking after me, it was nice to see some chivalry from complete strangers and a nice way to start a travel day.  I walked off that flight with a smile on my dial. 

We arrived into Singapore at 1.30pm.  There was a 2.5 hour time difference making with Singers in front of Sri Lanka.  So with no dilly dallying I said goodbye to my Japanese flight angels and wasted no time in transferring from terminal 3 to terminal 1.  This is the 4th time I have done it in a month, so I know the ropes and I have a small system happening now.  You need to get yourself from the gate to Customs and just before the escalator takes you down to the Customs hall there are the free internet stations there and an information desk.  So I jump on the free internet, check my messages and then showing my passport I get the free Wi-Fi code for my IPod which I use once I am back into the departures.  I then head down to Customs and I have my IPod at the ready, as I haven’t printed any of the flight information I have it saved on there, so when they ask what flight I’m on or to see my ticket I can show them that.  I grab a free trolley and by the time all that is done, my bag is on the carousel, I swing it onto the trolley and walk out of the ‘nothing to declare’ exit where I have only been stopped once.  The trolleys aren’t allowed on the airtrain, so this was a test to swing my bag onto my back with my dodgy arm and without too much pain I got it on my back-the sky train comes every 3 minutes and the ride is only a minute if that and wallah I am at terminal 1.  And that people is how to change terminals in under 50 minutes. 

I didn’t bother getting another trolley, my monster was on my back now so I walked to the Jetstar Asia counters, took my pack off, zipped up my straps and then it was my turn for check-in.  At least I know on all these next flights I have a window seat.  You can pay extra (I think it was 5AUD) to reserve seats and even Malaysia Airlines gave me this option as well for my next round of flights to Nepal.  For me it is money well spent.  So my check-in guy was asking what I am going in Manila and when I told him my itinerary he was impressed I was heading to Boracay and said I will have a magic time there but if I truly wanted a beautiful beach then Goa in India is the place to be.  I have heard that, but I have no dying inclination to go back there, but I wasn’t going to tell him that, as my bag was 2.4kg over the limit and I didn’t want to be nasty and then he charge me for the additional.  So passing the security scanner I was back at customs again, stamped back through and now had 2 hours to kill till my flight.  I had made a pact with myself to stay away from the Pandora shop, which was relatively easy as I was so TIRED.  I needed to get lunch as Jetstar you have to buy food, so I made my way back to my usual haunt, BK, Burger King and had my 6 chicken drummettes and my passionfruit Iced Tea, jumped onto my IPod with my free Wi-Fi code I had obtained earlier and managed to kill an hour there.  I also changed 100USD into Philippine pesos, so I had some cash when I arrived, just in case my transfer wasn’t there, with it being 8.30pm at night the last thing I want to worry about is getting some money and then it was time then to head for the gate, as you have to be checked and re-scanned again for access to the lounge and there we waited till the flight was called.

Jetstar Asia operates an Airbus A320 on the Singapore to Manila route, seat configuration of 3x3.  The fly time is 3 hours and 10 minutes and as the aircraft doors closed I had the 2 seats next to me free for the whole flight.  Woo Hoo.  Not that I am sure it mattered too much as I will probably fall asleep at some stage.  I had a look at the inflight menu and there were some snack packs that had cheezels included in the pack and I just couldn’t say no to Cheezels, so I ordered a drink, the snack pack and then figured I probably would have dinner by the time I got to Manila and the hotel, so I also ordered a 2 minute noodle bowl as well to get me through to breakfast tomorrow morning.  One needs to think in advance about these things you know.  So with all that I was actually not feeling too bad and with no-one beside me I decided to pull out my laptop and get a blog written, might as well use the time constructively and I did this till my battery nearly died and we were only 40 minutes from Manila by this stage as too.  I also used this time to take a proper look at my Philippine itinerary.  I hadn’t really looked at it in much detail, so I familiarized myself with where I was staying, what tours we had booked and the first 3 days were going to be full on with a day of rest in Cebu before my flight to Boracay.  Taking into account the massive day we had from Galle to Colombo plus my massive travel day today-that spare day in Cebu was looking more appealing as the hours ticked by.  So this was flight number 74 of my Odyssey.  I should work the amount of hours that I have spent sitting on a plane, let alone check-in and connection times.  Now they would be interesting stats.  I also need to start to look at flights back into Ethiopia for the middle of November.  It seems like Zeme, yet again has not got his visa, but the plan was I would go back again in November no matter what.  Well I will look at the cost of the flights and then make a decision otherwise the alternative will be to go home a week earlier, which is never a bad thing and start to organize all my crap I have for my move.  Ugh I don’t want to even think about that at the moment. 

We landed into Manila on-time at 8.20pm.  It mustn’t be a busy time for arrivals as we were the only ones at customs and there was a special line for ‘foreigners’ of which there were only 5 from my flight, so needless to say I didn’t have to wait long to be stamped in and the customs officer asked what my itinerary was and when I mentioned Boracay, he looked impressed and said it is a beautiful part of the world.  Hmmmmm I have heard that-it sounds like it was a good move adding that to the itinerary and I have Jules to thanks for that back home.  I only had to wait 5 minutes and then my bag had arrived.  Talk about everything moving like clockwork.  I didn’t even have time to connect properly onto the free Wi-Fi they offer at the airport and with my free trolley I was out the doors….. to no-one waiting for me….. Hmmmmm.  Maybe I had to go outside?  I had a security guard ask me at the exit who I was looking for and when I told him All About Asia, he looked a little miffed and pointed in the direction of some signs that indicated a ‘family and friends pickup zone’.  What a great idea, so I crossed the road and they have the pickup set up alphabetical with big letters to spot your loved ones easily.  What a great idea.  So I checked A for the company and I checked J for my surname to no avail.  I had a taxi guy come up and tout for business and he said if my transfer doesn’t arrive to come back to him-yeah right I will.  So I walked back to the terminal now with my IPod in hand to see if I could find a contact number I could call, looking lost, another security guard asked if I was okay and then a guy came running up with a sign with my name on it.  Thank goodness.  Only 20 minutes late.  Apparently he was upstairs at departures with some-one leaving and he apologized.  Okay-well you’re here now.  So he calls the car to say I’m ready and when that arrives he deposited me in the back and handed me a mobile phone, a charger and numbers written on a piece of paper in a pouch for me to use while I am here in the Philippines.  What a neat touch, not thinking I would really need it, as I had my Blackberry, but as I was to find out when I got to the hotel that the UK sim card doesn’t work here in the Philippines and the phone I was given came preloaded with 300PHP (7.50AUD) and all the emergency numbers for the office here in Manila pre-programmed into the phone.  What a great idea, a nice touch. 

The ride from the airport to the hotel took 45 minutes.  It was busy and I can see that traffic is a major problem here and that is at 9pm at night.  Can you imagine what it will be like during the day?  The hotel was located in Makati City, as the ‘downtown’ area is broken up into different areas; this was one of the nicer ones.  I was in my room by 9.45pm and I was dog tired.  I had to repack my bag again, as I am only allowed a 10kg baggage limit on my internal flights in the Philippines and I will leave my monster backpack here at the hotel, as I come back here for one night before leaving for Nepal in 10 days’ time.  This will also be a good thing for my arm I suspect, not having to carry 22kg around and try and give it a good chance of recovering here.  Zeme was online, which was the first time in a long time, so I had a chat to him, finished re-packing and watched a movie and then the lights were out at 12.30am. Officially 19 hours after leaving Colombo this morning.  I have an 8am pickup in the morning for a ½ day city tour before they take me to the airport for my flight to Cebu.  Another big day and I just wanted to close my eyes and ………………zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


No comments:

Post a Comment