Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Friday, October 26, 2012

IT’S TIME TO LEAVE – PARADISE


WEATHER: Hot and 31C

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: McDonalds for dinner-judge me all you want

BUMMER OF THE DAY: Leaving paradise

WORD OF THE DAY: White sand and blue waters will always be remembered

DISTANCE TRAVELLED: 390km

Do I really have to leave?  I would LOVE to spend longer here but I think it would be better if you were with some-one.  It doesn’t have to be a boyfriend/girlfriend, that is another beauty of Boracay, there just aren’t ‘couples’ walking around holding hands, there are groups of guys, families and there seems to be large groups and conferencing groups also around the traps.  There is none of that ‘awkwardness’ of people feeling sorry for you being on your own even though I lost that worry months ago.  The upside of leaving means I am closer to getting to my next tour and in turn closer to getting home.  I really hope that I get a great group for this tour.  Like my Scottish group or my Sri Lankan group.  I only mention then as they are the freshest in my mind, I have travelled with a lot of amazing groups, so if they are like any of them then I will have an amazing time. 

I had to be ready at 11.45am for my security guy to walk me to my waiting transfer to take me to the ferry terminal.  Here goes the rigmarole to leave paradise-damn them.  Right on time I was walked to the waiting van for the 20 minute drive to the port.  Once we arrived there was again the organized chaos of people coming and going, but no security this time as my driver parked and led me to a counter where you had to pay a departure tax of 100pesos which is like 2.50AUD let me through the terminal and straight onto a waiting ferry.  I use the word ferry loosely as it was a local boat called Bangka.  The Bangka is a type of canoe featuring one or more lateral support floats known as outriggers, which are fastened to one or both sides of the main hull.  It had a roof with open windows and there were plenty of life jackets hanging from the roof and it looked study enough so I was just going to enjoy the ride.  I didn’t have an issue getting on the boat as such but rather the way you had to get onto it.  The jetty stairs were higher than the Bangka, so there was a rickety looking plank that was steep that you had to walk down.  I honestly wasn’t sure that the plank would hold my weight, that was how worried I was, but I looked to the seamen that were holding it steady and they didn’t look worried, so with the plank moving back and forth with the waves I crossed without falling-phew.  Me and little boats don’t mix at the best of times, but when you have to suck it up I just get the job done.  Thankfully the driver still had my overnight bag and he walked along the outside of the boat to find me a seat and I hunched over and walked through the inside already full of people.  The driver told me there would be someone to meet me on the other side for my further transfers.  They wait until the boat is full and after taking on one more couple we were navigated away from the pier and other Bangka’s and on our way back to Caticlan.  For some reason this trip seemed quicker than the arrival ferry and that was in a ‘proper’ ferry.  I think I liked this better, as the wind was in your hair and you could see where you were going and get some photos. 

We arrived to the other side and with another steep ramp to climb with my bag I was back on terra firma successfully.  I walked out and what do you know there was no-one there.  I wasn’t too concerned as I knew the airport was only a short walk away, but then I figured firstly I had paid for the transfer and secondly he may be looking for me-don’t want him to think he has lost a passenger.  So after asking 2 people I was pointed in the right direction across the road and there was a guy walking towards me asking me if I was Miss Bernice.  Yes, that’s me-where have you been?  There is nothing worse walking around looking like an idiot, but I don’t get upset, I just refocus as I know I am going to have to get used to it in Africa, doesn’t mean I will like it anymore.  So with the 5 minute drive I was dropped at the airport with an apology and a wave and I entered the airport terminal.  My flight wasn’t until 2.30pm and I was there at 12.40pm so the check-in staff asked if I would like to go on the 1.30pm flight instead.  I would love to, but I have a transfer organized for my pickup in Manila, so it really wouldn’t make a difference, but I asked if I could make a phone call and pulled out the mobile phone I had been loaned and with the All About Asia office number already pre-programmed I made a call to Julie and she said that it wouldn’t be a problem and she would notify the driver.  All this was done with no fuss and having that phone has been magic.  I need to make sure I remember to send a text message to Julie to thank her for everything.  So I was now leaving an early hour, which meant I would be back in Manila earlier which sounds good to me.  I got my usual window seat and I also had to get weighed again for the flight. 

I was flying Air Phil Express today and after paying yet another departure tax of 200pesos (they get you everywhere) we sat in the cool departure lounge to wait for tour boarding call.  The plane that wad to take us came in at 1pm, and the with the turnaround of the aircraft we were all onboard and ready to go at 1.30pm.  We moved a few meters and then we had to wait for 3 flights to come in.  Who would have thought that such a small airport would be so busy, but then seeing how many people there were at White Beach and they can only get 40 people there on a flight, there would have to be a few flights coming and going.  I was glad today I had a window as the weather as perfect and I hoped to get some good photos from the air and I wasn’t disappointed.  There were no ‘guess that song’ like Cebu Pacific have and with the flight being only 1 hour there was no refreshments offered either.  We were on an ATR70 plane that had a 2x2 seat configuration and I was sitting just in front of the propeller.  The views we had were amazing and this is why I love the window seats.  There was a family of 5 that were sitting across from me with the father sitting next to me.  The row behind us was free, so I thought about moving but then thought about the weight thing and maybe they had placed us in certain seats-as there was an announcement made before we took off to not move around the cabin unless going to the toilet due to the weight ratio.  The flight was only an hour, so it wasn’t going to kill me and he just slept the whole way. 

We arrived into Manila at 2.40pm, the domestic terminal looks so new and we were the only people to be in this section of the airport.  I feel a little strange that I am not standing in a customs line and filling in arrival forms for these domestic legs.  We just arrive, find the baggage carousel and with my bag being the second one off the rank I could see my dude standing outside the glass pane with my name-yay….. He obviously got the message of my new flight arrival.  The drive from the airport was a stop start affair in really bad traffic for 45 minutes getting me to the hotel at 3.40pm.  When I checked in the reception staff reconfirmed I had 3 rooms.  No only one.  They double checked and said 3 rooms?  Um no there is just me.  So it took them 15 minutes to work out that small problem and then they told me I hadn’t paid my bill for the coke I had last week when I was here.  Well that was because you said you would take it out of the 1000pesos deposit I had to leave, but I am happy to settle that with my bill tomorrow.  I also asked about a late check-out as I wasn’t getting collected tomorrow till 5.30pm and he told me they can’t tell me till tomorrow, WTF, so I asked how much would it cost to have a late check-out and after a few more minutes he returned and told me 1250pesos which is like 31AUD so I told them I would just pay for the damn room.  Can’t argue with 30 bucks.  While I was here I also collected my monster that I had left in their luggage room and he said that’s right the big bag.  Yep, that would be the one. 

The only good thing that came of that whole 30 minute transaction was the room they gave me on the 20th floor.  There really wasn’t a view from where I was, but it feels nice to be up so high.  When we drove down the main street of Makati I saw a KFC and a McDonalds only a few minutes’ walk from the hotel.  So I watched a movie, looked at all the crap I had to repack for airline travel tomorrow and then went and got Macca’s for dinner.  I don’t care what any of you think, but it was nice to have something that didn’t have curry, rice or minced pork for a change.  It was a busy store and when you walked in the queue there was a lady that would pre write your order on an order form and then you just present that to the cashier when it’s your turn.  Not a bad idea, so by the time people get to the front they have already decided what to have and the lines keep moving, well I am guessing that is why.  What a great idea for a busy store to keep the flow of traffic moving.  I can’t say it was the best Macca’s I have ever had, but it was food in the stomach.            

I’m not sleeping well as I have a lot on my mind, mainly where my and Zeme’s relationship is heading.  I have been so sad the last few weeks and I think if something that makes you feel that down it needs to be assessed and something done about it.  I spoke to him about it when I was in Cebu but I am not sure how much gets through with the language barrier, but I am not feeling any better and as sad as it is I think we are going to have to go our own ways.  It is such a shame when I am back in Addis in 8 weeks and as nice as it would have been to have Zeme there for my arrival, it’s not fair to him or me to continue the relationship just for that.  Handy, but not fair.  So with a heavy heart I will speak to him tomorrow and get what needs to done, done.  Life can be so fucked up at times and even though I still love him there are a few issues that cannot be overlooked and I will not let my generosity be taken for a ride.  That is all I will say on the subject.

So I have enjoyed my time in the Philippines.  There is so much to see and do and you certainly need more time than 10 days, but it was a great overview and I could see myself coming back to this wonderful country to see more of what it has to offer.    


No comments:

Post a Comment