Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Monday, June 13, 2011

PARADISE BEACH AND A DRINK CALLED DEVILS TONGUE

WEATHER: Hot and 31C
HIGHTLIGHT OF THE DAY: Beach party at Tropicana
BUMMER OF THE DAY: Not remembering the bus ride home and waking up in bed  
BUYS OF THE DAY:  Devils Tongue for 10EUR
WORD OF THE DAY:  What time does Happy Hour start – it is Happy Hour all day!
GOOD MORNING MYKONOS man it is good to be alive!  Even though I spent 70EUR on grog, I had my share of alcohol, and got into bed at 4am, I managed to make breakfast at 10.30 all refreshed and ready for the day. 

This Contiki is totally different from their standard tours and we are LOVIN it.  You could sleep all day and drink all night (like I did yesterday) but not today.  I had some computer work to do, busy downloading and uploading and updating my blog – so a busy day at the office.  I am loving the chill time and no coach time, and being in one place for more than 2 nights is AWESOME.  We found out yesterday that due to a ferry strike happening on the day we are supposed to be leaving Santorini for Ios, we are now spending an extra night in Santorini.  I was a bit bummed that we are a night short on Ios, but the upside, well there are 2, is that it means we now get 4 nights in one place (which I am now SUPER excited about) but also Ios is a party island, so one less night here is a blessing in disguise, for my liver and also for my wallet!!!! 

We had to meet at reception at 3pm for our 25 minute transfer to Paradise Beach for the afternoon.  We were all a bit unsure of what to expect re: shops, beach, pool, bar are there sun chairs etc.  I literally wore beach wear, thinking we would be sitting in the sun and working on the tan-age.  Well it turned out to be a MASSIVE beach party, it was so cool.  We had tables reserved for our group under like a commando looking net, so the sun could still get through and we just drank all afternoon.  Ed suggested we try the Devils Tongue and we had this as our first drink of the afternoon.  It was a wicked green concoction that had Gin, Vodka, Pampero, Tequila, Triple Sec, Southern Comfort, Archers, Drambuie, Grand Mariner, orange juice and Blue Curacao!!  Now you would think that it would taste awful or at the very least a little disgusting.  Well sorry to disappoint but it was delicious and it didn’t even taste alcoholic – warning bells right!!! For 10EUR I think it was pretty good value for what you got.  We decided after that to all go into a shout for a bottle of vodka and they supply 2 mixers in the cost.  The first bottle was a 700ml Absolute for 80EUR, divided that by 4 of us sharing, it only worked out to be 17EUR each, so this was great value, as we squeezed about 3 drinks each out of the bottle plus a shot each.  Now the speed as to the sinking of these drinks was like a horse race.  I am not sure why we were drinking so fast, maybe we were just thirsty, but we polished that bottle off like in an hour.  So we got another one, but a cheaper brand for 70EUR and split by 5, we only paid 15EUR each and this bottle was quickly consumed as well.  More warning bells…… 

We then decided to get back onto our own drinks, and this is where I made a critical drinking no-no, and decided to start drinking the Devils T again!  I know a drink with 9 alcoholic ingredients can’t be good right.  But they tasted so good and they didn’t taste alcoholic and then that’s where it all went downhill.  I do remember having 20EUR in my purse later in the afternoon and thinking great I can get 2 more and then that would do me. Yeah right.  Well for those of you who know me, running out of money doesn’t stop me drinking, and what would you know, the bar accepted VISA!  WOO HOO – and this was probably the last Devil’s nail that did it for me.  All that on an empty stomach, no food since lunch time was a wonderful combination for a drunken Bernie.

We were having a ball at this stage, the DJ had started and was cranking some tunes, there was a guy on a microphone sprucing the crowd, they had 3 dancers up dancing and they were encouraging people to get up and dance on this little stage near the bar, and then later on your tables and benches where we sat!  It was so cool and the Spanish Crew made a call and said that this place was far cooler than Ibiza, and I would have to agree, the atmosphere was awesome.  But I am sure if we had a better day in Ibiza, it may have made it a little better and if the drinks were cheaper.

Now there are a few stories that were to come out of our little trip to Paradise Beach.  No names – as what happens on Contiki stays on Contiki (except my blog of course) but we had some-one pass out on a deck chair for a couple of hours, and also had a chucky chuck.  Some-one slept  with the DJ in the cushion room, some-one had one too many Devils Tongue ( oh that’s me ) and has a blank from around 7.30pm till I woke up in my own bed at 9am the next morning.  Thanks to my Greek Posse for getting me home safe and sound.  When I woke and did a stock-take, I left behind my sunnies and a beach towel borrowed from the hotel.  Could have been a lot worse and was happy to wear the loss.  But Ed came to the rescue and had done a quick recky after we left and had my stuff.  Thanks buddy.  I am sure there are many more stories and it was such an awesome day.  I think this was our first ‘beach’ day where we got sun finally. 

So Ed I am personally blaming you for making um….. I mean recommending the Devil’s Tongue, and the 50 I consumed (well maybe not that many, but it felt like it).  What a great day, with great friends and a great way to end our time in Mykonos.

On a foot note, I actually woke right as rain this morning.  A little tired, but I was a lot worse after the Toga party.  Maybe I should stay off the beers, yeah like that’s going to happen!!!  I had a lot of people asking me how I was this morning, but I think we got back to the hotel around 10pmish, so when you get nearly 10 hours of sleep I guess that would also help in the recovery process.

Mykonos knows how to party – and we had a blast here.  Toga party the first night, clubbing the second night and then a beach party the following day – well maybe we just know how to party as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment