Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

GOOD-BYE TO MY GREEK CONTIKI-ERS AND MY GREEK POSSE


WEATHER: Hot and 32C
HIGHTLIGHT OF THE DAY: I am alive
BUMMER OF THE DAY: I am alive – some-one shoot me
BUYS OF THE DAY: My 5L of water I drank to try and rehydrate myself
WORD OF THE DAY: HANGOVER (please don’t shout)
Unofficial Day song – Time of My Life – Black Eyed Peas – no coach meant no song, but the Greek Posse decided on one

To quote Bree “ F#@k My Life.  I woke at 11am to the sound of my room phone ringing with Dee on the other end telling me I had 30 minutes to get all my shit together and out of the room.  We had a departure meeting at 11.30am, but more importantly we had to have our bags on the bus, that would be taking us to the port that afternoon.  The meeting I was happy to miss, having to get my bag down to Far Out later just did not appeal, and so I soldiered on and got my hungover body out of bed.  It is at this time I noticed the pain in my knee and arms, to look and see a massive gravel wound of about 5cm x 6cm on my left knee, gravel rash damage to my left elbow, a bruise on my right leg the size of a grape fruit, a sore toe (felt like it was broken till I sobered more), grazes on both shins, a small mark on my forehead, some cuts on my left foot toes and a small egg on my head.  WTF happened last night??  It is at this point the Dannii comes to my room to make sure I am up, and helps me pack my bag, and gets it to the bus for me ( that’s my Dancer ), so I just had to pack the small backpack and get myself to the pool.  Trust me this was such a struggle and I was feeling like shit.
Ed went through the post tour stuff, stalker sheets, group photo, tipping and the final details for the rest of the day etc. and then the group all jumped on the coach to spend their last hours at Far Out and the beach.  Lisa and I decided to stay at the hotel, where she sat on Skype for a few hours and I pulled up a piece of the balcony and slept till it was time to get us down to the coach.  At this point I haven’t eaten anything since last night, and I didn’t feel like eating anything then either.  I really was on STRUGGLE ST still.  We had a 4pm ferry departure back to Athens, the travel time 3 hours and 30 minutes and there were a few times, where I thought I would have to make a run for the toilets.  I guess this is where the no eating was a positive, I had nothing to chuck up – that’s how it works right?  I was now onto the water though, and I drank 2L just on the ferry.

We checked back into our Athens hotel and decided to not stop and head straight for dinner.  The whole bus looked like zombies.  The Greek Posse headed across the road to save some time, and the service was slower than the slow boat to China, so by the time we got it and paid for it, it was time to meet the group for our final farewells on the rooftop of where we were staying at 10pm.  This was a MASSIVE effort, as I was STILL feeling ordinary – maybe it was something I ate – Ha right!  I managed to hold out till 11pm and then I just had to hit the sack.  I still had to collect my luggage I had stored at the hotel and get my bag packed for airline travel.  I fluffed in my room, not getting much done, so I decided to leave it all and just get up earlier in the morning and pack it then.  I needed sleep.  This was good in theory till I went to lay down and due to my injuries, I couldn’t find a confortable spot without some pain.  I did have some antiseptic cream in my bag, so I lathered this on my knee and elbow and I think it made it worse, so I had to get up and wash the stuff off.  By this time it is 1am, and I had my alarm set for 3am!

I am a hugger, and I hate good-byes – but I know with my Greek Posse we will meet up again next year when I am home.  I will be seeing Breezer in London in July, and the girls in Newcastle, WA and Melbourne for sure next year when I get back.  We are already talking of another trip, whether it is Asia or a cruise, but I just know it will happen.  I am very lucky to have met you girls, you made my last 4 weeks (Kasey and Danni the last 2) the best experience for me, and I am not sure I would have had such a great time if not for you!  I love you guys and you really did become family, in the true sense from looking after me when I’d too much to drink, laughing with me in the good times, and me being there for you in the sad times.  That’s the way we rolled and you truly will never be forgotten.

A special shout out also goes to ED.  For being a pretty patient person in my drunken state and still talking to me the next day.  A few places, Paradise Beach, Tropical in Santorini and then the last night in Ios.  Hopefully you have seen worse drunks than me, if not I hope at least I was entertaining.  Thanks also for the chicken pie and helping Danni get me home in Ios.  All the best and I hope we can catch up again one day.

So this is farewell Greece and also Europe. Off to Morocco tomorrow and the African Sub-continent to get some rest and relaxation on the drinking front at least, as we have a pretty hectic 14 days on this Intrepid tour.  But there are new people to meet and new places to explore. 

CONTIKI GREEK ISLANDS 2011 – in no particular order………
Bree – Australia
Tiarna -  Australia
Kelei – Australia
Carly – Australia
Jess aka: Trouble – Australia
Suzanne – Canada
Jess S – Australia
Anneliese – Australia
Sophia
Danielle
Kasia
Tanea – Australia
Paulo – Australia
Averil –
Ashlee – Australia
Katie – Australia
Aimee – Australia
Merry
Kasey – Australia
Jennifer – USA
Kaitlin aka Sexy – Australia
Dee aka Responsible – Australia
Jaden – Australia
Lisa aka Angel – Australia
Courtney – Australia
Kristina – Australia
John – USA
Nicole – USA
Marylynn – USA
Jessica – USA
Jeff – USA
Sam – Australia
Jess – Australia
Danielle aka Dancer – Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment