Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Saturday, June 11, 2011

THE GREEK SUN IN MYKONOS


WEATHER: Hot and 29C – Not a cloud in the sky
HIGHTLIGHT OF THE DAY: Sleeping till 2pm
BUMMER OF THE DAY: Sleeping till 2pm
BUYS OF THE DAY: Pasta Carbonara for lunch at 2.30pm at 8EUR
WORD OF THE DAY: Do you have sunscreen on?
Well there is not much memory of my departure from the Toga party.  I do remember seeing Bree getting fished out of the pool, buying Ed one last drink (for the 3rd time) and then a blank getting to my room at 2am.  Must have been a good party and those blasted 2 for one Corona’s were the nail in my drunken stupor.  I woke periodically through the morning with all intentions of making it to breakfast at 11am.  The cleaners tried to get into my room 3 times and with a MASSIVE headache, I got up took 2 nurafin, back to sleep finally and felt human again at 2pm!  I decided it was time to get up, get a feed and some sun!

For some unexplainable reason I have now been labelled MUM of the Greek Posse.  So I now have 6 little children to cluck over and to offer advice and anything else they need.  Like a spare sweater, use of my laptop, asking for the meter in a taxi etc…. I am hoping it is my organization skills that have got me this title and nothing to do with my AGE!!!  I had one of the gals from the Contiki group at dinner the other night ask me my name, she said I know you as mum, but not your actual name!  Hmmmmm I guess I could be known as a lot worse, so MUM it is.  I love my little kiddlets xx.

We had some pool time till 5pm, when I came in and updated my blog.  The free Wi-Fi here at the hotel is amazing.

Off into Mykonos Town this afternoon for a short walking tour of the sights, dinner and then a visit to 3 clubs.  There are not many taxis on the island, so we have a transfer to take us in and bring us back.  It is hilarious that the return transfer time is 2.30am.  Weird but thanks George for doing it for us.

Mykonos is amazing.  There are cool facts about the island:
The houses are all painted white to help reflect the heat during summer
The houses all have rounded roof walls as Mykonos is a windy island
The population of the island is 10,000 and swells to 70,000 during summer
There are no trees on Mykonos as it is a granite island, hard to grow anything
If there is a tree and it has survived it has been imported in
The island was made popular in 1954 when the Onassis Family vacationed here and put it on the map

After seeing the famous windmills of the island, and the church, that if you buy a postcard is the one in each shot we headed to our restaurant for dinner.  A typical Greek fare with a starter salad, fried zucchini, deep fried cheese and then I ordered the mixed grill, okay so that may not be so Greek, but hell it was delicious!!  The restaurant then shouted a shot for us all.  It was an apple something ouzo shot.  It smelt like rocket fuel and I had a small taste before the toast and I just couldn’t drink it.  The smell was just disgusting, and not being an Ouzo fan at the best of times after the YAMMAS call, it became a community shot and everyone shared mine.  Taya had 4 of the suckers – Ugggg it just makes my stomach churn even thinking about it, it really did smell…well like flammable!

Our pub crawl begins and there are some pretty pissed people already, I don’t know what the hell they were drinking at dinner, but I can see this maybe a night, where no matter how hard I try, I just won’t get drunk.  I tend to find that after a HUGE night, it is hard to get drunk again the next night.  I don’t know just an observation on my part.  So the first bar was pretty cool, overlooking what they call Little Venice.  A beautiful view of the windmills lit up at night over the water.  Drinks would be as you would expect 7EUR for a vodka and coke and 5EUR for a beer – no biggie.  We stayed here for about an hour before moving onto the next bar called Down Under Bar. 

Once inside the Down Under Bar you wouldn’t know it was Australian except the waiter girls who were running around were Aussie.  They were a blessing as the place was PACKED, and to some-one who was not drunk, there was a lot of argy bargy with drunken people.  The girls ran to the bar for you, got your drinks and came back, so it saved us having to line up at the bar.  Kasey and I were calling ourselves VIP’s and we had the hand signals to show for it as well!!!  They had a DJ playing songs, so Lisa, Dee and I requested our Europe day song On The Floor by J-Lo and then as it was an Aussie bar they wanted to hear some John Farnham and the DJ didn’t even know who the guy was – what kind of Aussie bar do you call that – they don’t know who Johnny is – damn……  It was so HOT in here – I don’t think the Greeks have crowd control at all and they just kept letting people in.  The girls from tour were starting to really get into party mode.  There were a few that jumped onto one of the side counters and started dirty dancing together, which is fine, but them they started to kiss and rub each other and lifting of the dresses for all to see.  It was funny, and one of my Greek Posse gals was up there.  My mum always said you got you flaunt it, so they were just having fun and they did look pretty cool up there……..  They also sold buckets of grog here – Ed rounded the group with a few, you’d have a drink and take out your straw – I passed on this, as how much draw back would be in that bucket?  See I told you I hadn’t drunk enough if I’m worried about that, if it was Toga party night I would have been in quick as a flash.

We then moved from here to the last bar called the Scandanavian Bar.  This is apparently the most popular bar on the island and man it felt like it.  Once again ‘what is crowd control’ and this place was busier than the Down Under Bar if that was at all possible.  You literally had to push, like PUSH, your way through to get to the bar, you couldn’t move on the floor and just everywhere had people.  Once again to some-one who is not drunk, I am not too sure I was having much fun.  I can tell you it wasn’t from lack of trying, I still spent 70EUR on alcohol, and it just wasn’t cutting the mustard.  We did end up finding a spot near one of the bouncers that let us perch on his step and then it wasn’t so bad.  Things started to really slide for the counter dancing gals.  They are now dancing on the bar here, which was okay, next thing I know, I turned around and they are just in their underwear, dresses discarded, and one of the gals didn’t have a bra on but chicken fillets, it was so funny.  More gal on gal kissing action and needless to say they were the talk of the club.  They were super drunk though, so I am sure they will be horrified when they see some pictures, as everyone was snapping them on their cameras and some of the guys were videoing them as well.  Maybe they should check U-Tube in the next few days!

Well 2.15am rocks around and it’s time to catch the transfer back to the hotel.  There were still shops and some restaurants open at 2am in the morning – amazing place and it certainly has a great nightlife.  We were short a few people, which Ed found somewhere and leaving 15 minutes late we got back to the hotel at 3.20am.  I think I could safely say a good night was had by all.  70EUR lighter, I can say I wasn’t drunk, but I still had fun, swapping sweat with random people in 3 clubs.  Dang it was super-hot in these clubs, but Mykonos knows how to party, that’s for sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment