Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Friday, June 17, 2011

IMPROMPTUE POOL PARTY

WEATHER: Hot and 30C
HIGHTLIGHT OF THE DAY: Not Leaving the hotel all day
BUMMER OF THE DAY: Not getting any sun as I am a lobster still
BUYS OF THE DAY: Greek salad for 6.50EUR with dinner
WORD OF THE DAY:  F#@k My Life – a Bree catch phrase
It was a quite night for me last night, home and in bed by 1am.  Must be the sunburn turning me into a softie.  My girls stayed out till 3am, and the way they looked this morning, they were a little shady.  As we had one extra night now in Santorini due to the ferry strike, Contiki organized a bus to take people to the red beach if they wanted to go.  I would have liked to go, but there is not a lot of shade there, and with my now delicate bright pink skin, it was best I tried to stay out of the sun today.  The girls also decided to stay, but I think there excuse was called a HANGOVER!  They all surfaced for breakfast and then went back to bed for a few hours.
We did decide at breakfast that since we have been carrying bottles of alcohol that we bought from Athens, it was time to consume them and not take them to Ios with us.  So we had a plan that we would meet back at lunchtime and have a little pool party and have some drinks early, so we could finish early and be okay for the ferry ride at 9am the next morning.  Who needs a hangover when travelling on a boat right!
All going to plan we met up again around 12.30pm and some of the girls went to the supermarket and stocked up on some mixers and schnacks for the afternoons festivities.  This ‘walk’ to the supermarket is a mission, as it is all uphill for about 10 minutes, so this chore was never taken lightly when some-one went for a ‘run’ up to the shop.  So the girls returned with cold cut meats, cheese, olives, chips, bread, mixers and tomatoes for our Greek lunch feast.

It was really cool to just relax with mates.  The weather was a little cooler, well 28C if you can call that cool, with a bit of cloud cover, so the sun wasn’t out as much – so not much swimming was done, but a lot of drinking took its place instead.  We had the tunes playing from my iPod and then Paulo was kind enough to lend us his speakers and we were really able to crank the music. We only got told once at 4pm to turn the music down a smidge, as it was still siesta till 5pm, and then we could let loose again.  The staff at the hotel were really cool with us carrying on all afternoon, so thanks Hotel Nicholas.

A special shout-out has to go out to Kaitlin.  She has been dying to make my blog since Spain.  I told her if she did something wacky, it would definitely make it.  So after we cracked the 3rd bottle of vodka and we were talking about our expectations of our trip, K has always said from the start that she wanted to go topless on a European beach.  So what is the next best thing, when we don’t have a beach?  You got it, the pool!  So we dared her to jump in the pool topless and if she did it would certainly make the blog and what do you know, she ripped off her top and dove into the pool!  It was so funny, as we didn’t really expect her to do it, and she did it with such grace!  So Kaitlin Ellis this post is dedicated to you buddy and this also re-confirms your name as my ‘sexy’ daughter.  Her first words when she got out of the pool were ‘will that make the blog’ and her face was priceless when I jokingly said that I had changed my mind!  Ha ha – but well done K – both your mums are proud of you!
                                                         

Some of the local lads came to check out what all the noise was later in the afternoon.  We weren’t sure if they had heard about K’s skinny dip or not, but apparently they are allowed to use the pool.  They looked like they were 16, but K went and had a chat to them and the next thing we know they have gone back home and come back brandishing 3 bottles of Ouzo – Ughhhhhh, but not wanting to offend, they showed us how to drink the stuff.  You need ice, one part Ouzo and 2 parts water.  I tell you it was still disgusting, but we all took one for the team and downed our offered glasses, albeit it was slowly, but we drank them all the same. 

A group of us walked into town and ate at the same place we ate on our first night, but this time on the roof.  Once again it is hard to get a bad seat in this joint, the views and sunset again were just unexplainable, Santorini needs to be seen to be believed.  The girls had decided to do something a little cheaper and then headed home.  I text Lisa at 10.30pm and they were already tucked up in bed!!  A handful of us headed to Tropical Bar for a few and then we headed home at 12.30am.  Not a bad effort as Danni and I had started drinking at 12 noon!!!  Glad I didn’t have a BIG one! Pfff right……

I do also need to blog that I found out tonight that I am officially not the oldest person on this trip.  Tim takes that title by 4 months!  WOO HOO – so I told him, he was definably going to make the blog based on that, and if he didn’t like it – tough – as he is older than me and I wanted the WHOLE WORLD to know I am not the oldest on tour – have I mentioned I AM NOT THE OLDEST ON TOUR!!!!!  Tim does get the last laugh though, as he bought with him some-one of the correct age bracket to share with him, so he didn’t have to pay the single supplement – dang it.  How about we call it even – even though there is SOME-ONE OLDER THAN ME!!!!!!!!!

I also just have to say one, well two words that needs to be blogged and you know who you are – SUPERMAN or BATMAN – that is the question……..

Good-bye Santorini – we had a ball………………….

1 comment:

  1. It’s a really good blog, very intimate. I’m sure your book is wonderful; I’d like to read it. Good luck with the next one! I am an event planner and I mostly work LA event venues. I also write, but it’s nothing fancy, just a few scribbles in my diary. Happy holidays!!

    ReplyDelete