Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Saturday, May 14, 2011

LONDON TOWN

WEATHER: Cooler – but it is London

HIGHTLIGHT OF THE DAY :  Seeing my United hostee’s from Chicago
BUMMER OF THE DAY: Putting ChelC on the tube to Heathrow
BUYS OF THE DAY:  My washing done for 15GBP
WORD OF THE DAY: - Chillax
With the tour now finished I had one full day in London to get some chores done.  Number 1 on the list was to get my washing done.  I really think this is going to be the bane of my travelling experience, but I really haven’t had too many problems to date, and I will just have to work the cost into my budget when I need to get it done.  I was really lucky, I was able to drop my washing off at 9am and it was going to be ready at 2pm on the same day – thanks and check
Next on the list was to send some stuff home.  I had all my Europe stuff plus some left overs from the cruise that I didn’t want to carry to Ireland.  I also had 6 postcards for my god-daughters that I have been writing all over Europe, so finally I was able to send all these today as well – check

Next was to drop ChelC at the tube station.  She had a 1pm flight to catch for Scotland.  This farewell was the hardest, after 3 weeks, it was nice to have a familiar face to hang with over this time, and we both can drink as much as each other and stay out as long as each other, and then also know we have to get up in the morning.  We are a travelling friendship made in travel heaven.  It is farewell for now, as ChelC is looking at getting to Rio Carnival next year and hopefully book on the same trip or at least catch up in Rio!!!!  Safe travels ChelC and I’m going to miss you buddy – check, sadly.

My mobile phone has been driving me nuts.  It has been costing me nearly $2.50 to send a text message, so my credit hasn’t been lasting too long.  So I have decided to get a UK sim card and see if that works out better for me cost wise.  I don’t use the phone for phone calls – just texting, so I went and saw Vodaphone and now have a new number of 0782-612-9347 if anyone wants to send me a message.  I have made 1 local phone call, sent 4 text messages and it has chewed up 8GBP!!!!  Now I thought it would last longer than that!!!  I will have to go and see Vodaphone in Dublin now and see what the heck is going on! If this is the only thing that I need to worry about, trust me I will not get to upset - check

The rest of the day was free, so I have tried to catch up on FB photos, which the internet speed at the hotel is slightly faster than a snail, but it is for free, so I can’t complain.  The rest of the afternoon was spent packing my bags for airline travel once again. I had left a bag in storage at the Royal National, so I also needed to shuffle things back around to accommodate all that stuff again.  It has all gone back in okay, it just means I have now picked up again my side bag, with my backpack, front pack and my handbag again, which makes me look like a heavy packer, I can see people looking at me, and I fell like telling them this is my home for the next 16 months – I rekon you would have this much stuff as well, but I still don’t think there is anything else I can get rid of at this stage.

I also booked a transfer to the airport tomorrow.  I feel I am cheating a little here.  ChelC paid 5GBP for her train straight to the airport.  The transfer was 19GBP, so I figured paying the extra 14GBP was worth the money.  Just the thought of carrying all my bags onto the train etc – really didn’t appeal and I won’t apologize for taking the easy way out.  Bring on my transfer.  Hell I have spent more money on grog than that in a night, and I have had 2 nights off, so this is well and truely covered in the budget.

Tonight I met up with my United host’ee friends that I haven’t seen since February last year!!! Cheryl and David it was AWESOME to see you guys and we had so much fun.  It really was great to see some familiar faces and have a chat over the best Indian food I have had, since I was in India 6 years ago.  It looks like I may have tee’ed up some travel buddies for a cruise next year.  Will work out the destination, but it maybe around the Canary Islands area for a week or so.  I will need to get onto the internet and check this out further, but it is something to look forward to……

Next time I am in London, I will be a busy bee, as I have to get 4 visas’ in 8 days for my trip to Africa, as well as wanting to fit in some more sightseeing.  I also have a few friends to catch up with next round as well, but hopefully will be a little rested as I have 5 nights in Portugal prior to that, doing my own thing after 54 days of Contiki and 2 weeks in Morocco, I think this will be a well-deserved rest before heading to the UK and then Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment