Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Monday, May 16, 2011

CONTIKI IRELAND STARTS

WEATHER: Cold and rainy with a ray of sunshine (once)
HIGHTLIGHT OF THE DAY:  SLEEP IN
BUMMER OF THE DAY: Caught in a rain storm
BUYS OF THE DAY:  My Milk Thistle tablets – explanation below
WORD OF THE DAY: - Thanks a million
SLEEP IN – like a well and truly proper sleep in.  Jessie and I headed to the Temple Bar last night, the actual bar in the Temple Bar area after dinner.  It was so busy in there, and as we were waiting at the bar to order drinks, 2 seats became available, so we were super lucky and were able to sit down.  After 3 pints, we called it quits and said our farewells again for the 50th time with promises of catching up again next year when I am in North America and on Facebook.

So home just after midnight, I signed up for some internet, and low and behold, Blogger was back up and running, so I was able to load my 2 outstanding entries.  I also updated my FB status, and considering I had 5 pints and an apple cider, I think I did quite well.

The weather outside was really howdy doody.  So I spent the morning getting all my Europe photos on FB.  As mentioned before, if I don’t try and keep on top of the loading, I will get so far behind and it will be a real pain to try and catch up.  I am on a landline here at the hotel, so the speed is like lightening, so it really isn’t taking too long to get them all on FB.  I am happy to report, they are now all on, and I will just need to try and go back and caption them when I get a chance.

So with that done, I donned my umbrella and I hit the streets of Dublin for lunch and some sightseeing.  I didn’t want to see too much as we have a city tour tonight with my new Contiki group, so I bought some souvenirs, went into a department store to have a look around ( it was raining ) and then took a walk down to the Liffey River for some snaps and into the Temple Bar area to get some photos.  I got stuck down there in a massive downpour, so lucky I did take the umbrella and I battled the rain and headed back to the hotel.  The one thing I have noticed is that Dublin doesn’t have a lot of awnings.  So when it rains they all congregate around doorways waiting for it to subside.

I also bought some Milk Thistle tablets (a recommendation from Anusha) that is well known for its Hepatoprotective (protects the liver).  It is especially useful in eliminating accumulated toxins as a result of alcohol consumption.  Sounds good to me, so I got a pack that has 60 (horse) pills and to take 2 each day.  Well anything that is legal to help my alcohol recovery is more than welcome, and it can’t hurt taking them, so I stated my Milk Thistle medication today, so fingers crossed my liver is a little thankful for it!!

I do have to also point out that Dublin is currently under city lock down, as the Queen is making her first ever visit – EVER, on Tuesday.  Ordinary cars are now not permitted on the main roads of downtown, only buses and taxis and the presence of the police is massive, they are just about on every corner.  To also top all that off, President Obama is also coming, but not till next week, so Dublin is really getting its fair share of fame in the next week.  Apparently the Queen is also going to Cork, where we are also going, but I think she is there the day before us!  I tell you what, a Royal Wedding in London, Queens Day in Amsterdam and now the bloody Queen in Dublin!  Will they just stop following me!  I mentioned on FB that if they are going to disrupt my holiday, that she could at least bring some eligible princes to make up for the inconvenience!!!

My Contiki briefing was at 4.30pm.  I didn’t realize till I spoke to Mark last week, that the Ireland trip of 8 days is actually a module of the 16 day tour of the UK.  I HATE joining tours part way through, as people have already made friends and groups, and no matter what people tell you, new people coming in and challenging the dynamics is not always welcomed.  There were 7 of us at the briefing, but apparently there are 18 of us joining, so I guess there is a little comfort in that there are a larger number of us joining.

Well dinner rocked around.  I miss all my friendly faces, so when I walked into the restaurant, they were already all seated, but I did find a table that had a spare seat and chatted with 2 gals from Perth, Anita and Erin.  Our city tour got cancelled, as there are no coaches permitted in the X zone, so I think we may be doing the city tour upon our return to Dublin in a week, so a little spare time after dinner and then we walked to the Temple Bar area and over a few beers I got to talk to some more people on tour.  They were all mostly the ‘newbies’ all hanging together, but that did have something to do with not being able to get tables for 40 people close together…..  The people I was talking to seem really nice though, so it is amazing what can be achieved over a few beers.

We head into Northern Ireland tomorrow, and I am guessing the drive is going to be a walk in the park compared to Europe and I am really looking forward to getting out and seeing some of the countryside.

Contiki Ireland has started to be sure and I am looking forward to meeting more people tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. I miss you already Bernie! Great post. I can hear your voice as I read it. You're such an awesome person and I'm glad we welcomed you with open arms.

    ReplyDelete