Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

BARCA BARCA BARCA BARCA

WEATHER: Hot and 31C – I think this is going to be quite constant
HIGHTLIGHT OF THE DAY: Seeing the beautiful beaches of Barcelona
BUMMER OF THE DAY: Riding the bikes into a strong headwind
BUYS OF THE DAY: 4EUR vodka’s – 4EUR Jagermeisters
WORD OF THE DAY:  
We had the whole day free today in Barcelona.  We caught the Metro and Rach took us on a walking tour of the Gothic area and showed us some sights off The Ramblas.  This took around 2 hours and then we had free time till 1pm when we had out bike ride booked.  So me and some of the guys walked to the Port area, sat and had some lunch and just people watched in the Barceloneta area.  We are starting to see people wearing the Barcelona colours for tonight’s game against Manchester United.  They are setting up large TV screens in Arc de Triomf, as much as I would love to be there, Rach said it would be mayhem and recommended that we didn’t go.  I suppose she is right.  Barcelona is renowned for pickpockets and gypsies, let alone throwing in a few thousand drinking population into the mix.

The bike ride at 1pm was good.  It is unfortunate that a few of us have done Mikes Bikes in Munich, as I think we had high expectations of this tour.  We got out of the city a little bit, but there really wasn’t that much to see.  The highlight getting to ride along the beachfront all the way back to the starting point.  They really do have beautiful beaches here; it was just a bummer that the headwind was so strong.  It is one of my pet hates when riding a bike.  I hate headwinds.  So after 3 hours of bike riding we pack back on the coach for a quick turnaround at the hotel before heading out to our Flamenco dinner tonight.

The Flamenco dinner was awesome.  We paid 57EUR, but that is for dinner and the show, and the dancers were just amazing and the food was great, not to mention the 3 jugs of included sangria that we consumed as well.  Flamenco is a Spanish genre of music and dance which originated in Andalusia in the 18th century, which has as its foundation Andalusian music and dance and, in whose creation and evolution, ethnic Gypsies from Andalucian played an essential part. The cante(singing), toque(guitar playing) and the dance are the principal facets of Flamenco.
From dinner we walked down to the Parliament Building where they have what they call the Magic Fountains.  If you have seen the Las Vegas Bellagio fountains it is exactly like that, with lights and music.  Apparently these fountains have been here for over 100 years, so I guess they could be called the original ones. 

Another night out in Barcelona we headed to Port Olympica.  Rach knows a bar that gives Contiki cheap drinks and they had the football match on as well.  Now cheap is cheap, they had 4EUR spirits, 4EUR Jagermeister’s and 3EUR beers.  This is so cheap.  I had plans of staying till midnight or so and then heading back, as we have a fairly big day tomorrow and we are going to IBIZA.  Well all good plans aside, I drank like a fish and was doing okay till 2am when all of the drinks finally caught up with me and I have a blank from 2am till I woke up at 8.50am when I woke up at the hotel.  Now you need to keep in mind that these spirits are ‘free poured’ so there is more than a nip in each drink that was consumed.  Needless to say I was sick in my room and I am so thankful that my Contiki Husbands were there to look after me and they got me home safe and sound and Marc checked on me the next morning.  I did also find out that we stopped for a chicken kebab, as I was apparently starving, and this explains the chicken pieces in my vomit, as I had fish for dinner and couldn’t work out how chicken ended up in there.  Disgusting I know, but to hear the boys re-count my steps it is pretty funny!  Gross but funny…too much information?  Thank-you Contiki Husbands for looking after me – you guys rock xx

The good news is that I was not the only one who had a BIG night, and besides fellow spewers, there were a lot of shady, green and tired people at breakfast the next morning.  For the record Barcelona beat Manchester United 3-1.  I am not a soccer fan, but I did watch the game and it was pretty cool to be in Barcelona and have them win.  We joke that if they had of lost that they probably would have burned down the city; they are that passionate about their football.

Special note to Miguel to wish him a Happy 22nd birthday and I now have also officially drunk with all my Greek posse.  There are 6 of us, so it will be cool to start my Greek Islands tour with Lisa, Dee, Bree, Jess, Katelyn and myself.  Can’t wait to get our buckets on gals!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. OOOOO my gosh.. so jealous right now.... you have no idea - You have really scored with your luck girl........ being in barcelona for the champions final....... and have them win which of course they would...... do you remember i watched the game on the cruise in which got them into the final..... :) like 4 weeks ago it seems..... :( wish i was there.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. also you are going to have to start a spew count....... HAHAHAHAHAH
    THATS DOS so far............

    ReplyDelete