Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

THIS CHRISTMAS IS A SPECIAL ONE


Christmas is a special time of year.  Not having family in Queensland, it has always been a day that I have spent with friends.  Friends are the family that you pick for yourself and I have picked some keepers.  I hate to admit that until my recent trip to Newcastle, I really didn’t have a family and I know that that statement would mortify my ‘real’ family and I am so grateful that I recognised that fact and there are ‘real’ family of mine out there-blood relatives of my mum and they are all good eggs.  I have made a pledge to keep in touch with them all on this trip and I totally intend to hold up my end of the bargain. 

Christmas is also a time for children.  To see their little faces light up when they see Santa, talk about what they want from the jolly fellow and discussing what they will leave for him on Christmas Eve is a real treat.  They are just at that age where they still believe in Santa, but I am not sure if the story will hold over to next Christmas, as they are smart kids and kids talk.  Even this year there were murmurs at school of kids saying Santa isn’t real-so it is only a matter of time but I intend to enjoy the Christmas magic this year while I can and while I am here as I have no idea if I will be back for Christmas next year.  Last year we were in Bolivia, in Unyuni and I have to say it wasn’t the merriest of Christmas’s and I think it was because we were all thinking of home and that was where we wanted to be-just for that day.   

I saw a post on Facebook that beautifully answered the belief in Santa and I wanted to share it with you.  You never know, people with kids may be able to use this when the time is right when trying to field questions about Santa.

Dear child’s name,
Thank you for your letter. You asked a very good question: “Are you Santa?”
I know you’ve wanted the answer to this question for a long time, and I’ve had to give it careful thought to know just what to say.
The answer is no. I am not Santa. There is no one Santa.
I am the person who fills your stockings with presents, though. I also choose and wrap the presents under the tree, the same way my mom did for me, and the same way her mom did for her. (And yes, Daddy helps, too.)  I imagine you will someday do this for your children, and I know you will love seeing them run down the stairs on Christmas morning. You will love seeing them sit under the tree, their small faces lit with Christmas lights.
This won’t make you Santa, though.
Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they can’t see or touch.  It’s a big job, and it’s an important one. Throughout your life, you will need this capacity to believe: in yourself, in your friends, in your talents and in your family. You’ll also need to believe in things you can’t measure or even hold in your hand. Here, I am talking about love, that great power that will light your life from the inside out, even during its darkest, coldest moments.
Santa is a teacher, and I have been his student, and now you know the secret of how he gets down all those chimneys on Christmas Eve: he has help from all the people whose hearts he’s filled with joy.  With full hearts, people like Daddy and me take our turns helping Santa do a job that would otherwise be impossible.
So, no. I am not Santa.
Santa is love and magic and hope and happiness.
I’m on his team, and now you are, too.
I love you and I always will.
Mama

I just LOVE it and it brings a tear to my eyes.  What a great letter in the spirit of Christmas.

Speaking of belief the Elkins have a ‘Cousins’ Christmas party every year when the cousins all gather at one of their houses with their offspring and have a few drinks, a catch up and then ‘Santa’ appears and gifts (supplied by the parents)and this traditional has been going since the Elkin girls were born.  Shane used to be the ‘Santa’ but the kids were starting to get suspicious of him and he has had to pass on the Santa suit to anyone that would step up to the plate.  It is a shame as he loved the role and I think after this year he could probably get back in the suit next Christmas.  This year Uncle Trevor had flown from Sydney with his family to join the festivities and he was more than happy to don the suit in the 31C heat, lucky for him we were in an air-conditioned room.  So we got all the kids together and the second that Trev walked in from the back door the first thing Hunter (who is 8) said ‘hi Uncle Trevor’!!!  I think the Santa ruse at the cousin’s Christmas may have come to an end.  All the kids are all around the same age as Tess and Zoe except baby Ella who is 6 months old and the Christmas spirit lives on in the next generation.  I have to say Trev was hilarious as Santa, with his thongs on his feet and his sense of humour as the adults also get presents from Santa.  What a great tradition to have each year and I am sure it will keep growing strong even as the kids grow older.     

I am happy to report that I have not caught up in buying present for people this year.  I made it quite clear my first week back to all concerned that I didn’t want any Christmas presents this year and that I would only be buying them for the children.  This firstly cuts out the time, walking around the shops, the money on buying ‘token’ presents and there will be no ‘awkward’ Christmas day gaffs with the adults.  So with that said I have just about finished my shopping buying 5 kids presents, gifts for the god-daughters, some for Shelly and Shane I am now actually finished my shopping.  I am thankful that I don’t have the pressure of finding presents and I think it has made me appreciate my time more.

As Christmas Eve approaches the girls have a lot of questions and the few that have stuck in my mind have been the question that they both asked ‘does Santa visit Ethiopia’?  Now that is a very good question and a very tough one to answer.  I have been telling the girls how the children in Africa don’t have many toys, if any, and that I will be helping little children that don’t have mums and dads.  So to tell them that Santa does go to Ethiopia gives them the impression all the children get a shiny new gift and if I say no then it destroys the magic of Santa-it was a tough one to answer and I think I fobbed it off without having to give an answer either way-but they did still ask why I need to go if Santa does visit.  I told you these kids were smart.  The other 2 questions was what does Santa do when he needs to go to the toilet and the last one was what if they wake up during the night and see Santa by accident as we have told the girls that they would need to go to bed early on Christmas Eve as Santa won’t come if they are still awake-which isn’t a lie.    

So I am lucky to be amongst friends this year.  It is a great way to see a lot of people one last time and I just want to wish everyone a very merry Christmas.  Enjoy your family, love them fiercely, love them freely and make the most of every moment, make it count. 

No matter if you are with the one that you start with
Or the one that you end up with
Or the family that you gain along the way-make every day December 25th.


No comments:

Post a Comment