Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Monday, December 24, 2012

I'M THE WORST FAMILY MEMBER


I have family. 
My mum’s family all live in Newcastle except for one Aunt who actually lives in Brisbane and I don’t see her enough at all.  I am just slack.  BUT I did want to get to Newcastle during my visit this time and if I didn’t book something this week I was going to miss out all together again.  So with a phone call to Nan to confirm dates and times I headed down on Monday and returned back on the Tuesday.  I figured 24 hours was going to be better than nothing at all and I was happy when I finally processed my payment and had a confirmation from the airline. 

It is hard to believe that I only have 2 full weeks left and then I am on a jet plane out again.  The scary thing is I have no return date in mind at this stage and that is a first for me and a little daunting.  Tessie keeps asking of I will be back for her birthday in April and she points out that I was here for Zoe’s this year, so it was only fair. I guess she has a point, but not even I can promise this year, but I have promised that I will be back for 2014’s birthday-so if nothing else I have a return date in 16 months, but I certainly hope I will be back before then for a visit. 

Shelly and Shane only live 10 minutes from the airport now that the underground tunnels have been completed and it is just as well as I thought my flight was at 11.40am but it was actually 11.20am and we were late leaving as I was trying to load some songs onto my IPod for the trip and ran into some issues.  I’m not a dilly dallier and once I was through security (had to take off ALL my jewellery) it was only then when I looked at the departure boards that my flight was boarding and had a departure time of 11.25am.  Holy schmokes.  I had checked in online the night before and my boarding pass had been text to my phone.  This was the first time I had done it this way as I am used to the email option and having a copy saved to my IPod.  When I got to the gate, there were no other passengers, they had already boarded, but thankfully there were 3 people behind me also high tailing it, so I didn’t look so bad when I boarded the plane.  But when I got to the gate, I had to pop my phone under a scanner; it scanned my text message code and then spat out a boarding pass.  How cool is that!  I have no idea how long that has been around but I was pretty impressed with that technology!  The 1 hour flight on Jetstar was uneventful, especially since I slept the whole way.  I was knackered.

My 24 hours in Newcastle were well worth the trip.  I haven’t seen any of the family since mum passed away 4 years ago and I know that it is poor form.  In my defence I have been away for 2 of those said years, so it isn’t really as bad as it sounds.  After nan collected me from the airport we made our way to my Aunty Pams for a few hours and I was introduced to my 7 year old niece and 6 year old nephew for the first time after they had finished school and I caught up with my cousin David who I haven’t seen for **cough cough** quite a few years as he has been working abroad.  He and his wife actually worked in Africa for 7.5 years in Mozambique, so he said if I need any contacts there or looking for a job, he still knows a lot of people living there and could point me in the right direction.  How amazing would that be?  I am getting more backup options as time gets closer to me leaving and I find it re-assuring.     

As I was only in town for the night Nan wanted me to see as many relatives we possibly could so after leaving Aunty Pams we made our way to Uncle Hugh’s to say hello where I met his girlfriend for the first time.  So after a quick drink we were back on the road to pick up my Uncle Matt to go and have dinner at the Sulphide Club (RSL club).  Once we dropped Uncle Matt at the pub on our way home from dinner I was then on the phone to my Aunty Gwenda who lives in Adelaide and I also spoke to my cousin Brad who lives on the other side of town.  Talk about a family rush and you know what it felt WONDERFUL.  Nan and I spent a girl’s night in watching TV and gossiping, umm I mean getting me up to speed on all affairs of the family and I can tell you we aren’t the Brady Bunch-I guess like a lot of families there is the ‘black sheep’, the feud between members and everything that goes on in a family of 6 plus extended member.  After hearing all Nan’s stories I think we could make a movie on my family and you know what I LOVE it.  Everyone I spoke with today showed interest, care, love and compassion for me and for what I am about to embark on and that is what hit home for me.  Their unconditional love and support for me when I must be one of the worst family members in the history of family members and they don’t care.  They see me as their niece, their blood and they didn’t hold it against me that I haven’t been in touch.  It surprised me actually.  I have a family, my family, that care about me and it really was a revelation to me.  So we talked and watched TV until I could no longer keep my eyes open and I had to leave my 86 year old Gran watching the last of the show and go to bed.  How sad that looks, I know, but I was absolutely shattered.          

Something has to be said about stepping into an old person’s house.  The smell of moth balls and something else I can’t put a finger on.  It is like stepping back into a time capsule with photos of mum and her brothers and sisters as they grew up, their weddings, their children, their children’s wedding and then the birth of the next generation.  This I LOVE.  There were picture of my Nan and Grandad on their wedding day and a small area that had been set up with photos of my mum and some of her belongings.  Time capsule items in the lounge room also included a cassette tape player, over 100 vinyl records and 50 video tapes to name a few things.  The spare room is filled with books and albums for each of the family members of things that Nan has collected over the last 40 years.  Sound familiar?  I always knew that I got the hoarding gene from my Nan.  She has another bedroom full of ‘stuff’ and she also has the garage and also a small shed out in the back yard.  Oh yes, I got it all from my Nan-I am going to blame her for my hoarding-well in the old days.  I have nothing left to hoard now. 

The morning bought a phone call to my Aunty Beth and I had officially spoken to the whole family, except my Aunt in Brisbane, of all places.  We arranged to have lunch in town with Cousin David, Aunty Pam, Uncle Steve, Uncle Matt and Nan.  We took a spin through the city, as it has changed so much over the years.  I have been visiting this town since I was 5 years old on and off over the years and the transformation have been amazing.  Being here this time made me think that I could possibly move here if the option ever came up.  Lunch was right on the river, with a cool breeze, ships passing, fabulous food and MY FAMILY.  As I didn’t have to drive I had 3 glasses of champagne and helped consume a bottle of white wine before getting an early drop off at the airport for my flight home.  So it was a flying visit but I am so glad I made the trip and I left my mums home town with a skip in my step and a family flutter in my heart.  I have family and I can’t believe that this revelation has just hit me now at 38 years of age.          

The flight home was an important one.  Shelly and I were off to see J-LO, Jennifer Lopez in concert.  My flight arrived back into Brisbane at 5.45pm, I caught a taxi home and we were in the car heading to the concert at 7.45am.  J-Lo was 35 minutes late getting on the stage, but she was worth the wait as the concert was AMAZING.  She sang and danced her way through a 2 hour show and had around 5 costume changes and even better we were allowed to take photos with no flash and I got some incredible pictures that made us look like we were sitting in the front rows. 
   
So it was a busy start to what was going to be a busy week.  I have 20 boxes to go through this week that got delivered on Friday and I also need to start my final, final pack as I need to finalize luggage, unaccompanied bags and emptying my room again for the third time.  Oh yes a busy week ahead. 


No comments:

Post a Comment