Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Sunday, December 30, 2012

GOODBYE AUSTRALIA


So the time has come. 
It is time to say goodbye to friends, family and to a life that I know and love. 
It’s time to say goodbye to Australia-my home for the last 38 years with no return date.

I think one of the hardest parts of leaving is that I have a good life here.  I am part of something here.  I know I have people who love me, include me in their lives and I am sad that I am leaving that.  The kids, the parties, the race days, the concerts, the BBQ’s, the movie nights, picking the kids up from school, seeing their smiling faces, their outlook on life as kids, yet to experience the ‘other’ part of life that is not always build a bears and lollies.  I am so privileged to see what the world looks like through their eyes and it is refreshing and I will miss that as they grow up into small adults.  It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.  Don’t get me wrong, I will be back for holidays, hopefully at least once a year-it’s not goodbye forever.  But not having a date of return is a little off putting for me.  I have always known I would be back for Zoe’s birthday (much to Tess disgust), back for my birthday and Christmas and now…nothing…..  I am just not in a position to know where I will be in 8 weeks let alone in 5 months’ time.

I have been thinking, and with some help from my friends, that maybe I should be looking at Kenya rather than Ethiopia to set up my new life and I am starting to think that this maybe a good option for me.  Ethiopia was picked initially because of Zeme.  I like the country and I liked the challenge it was going to give me BUT with some-one by my side.  Very little English is spoken there, tourism is still in its early stages, westerners are not common, let alone voluptuous ones and it will be hard.  I’m not scared of hard work, but when people don’t even speak the language, I am up against it before I even start.  I have Minalu, who will help me set up when I arrive.  Finding somewhere to live and also helping with my visa.  But what happens when he has to go away on tour for 2-4 weeks?  I am sure by that point I would have neighbours and they could help, but the last thing I want to do is get that stuck that I would have to ring Zeme.  I would HATE that.  I want nothing to do with him and to be that desperate to be reliant again on him just makes me cringe. 

So enter in Kenya.  I am visiting a friend there at the end of January and I am going to get a feel for the place.  Kenya is certainly more geared for tourism which in turn means they are used to westerners.  They speak English, well certainly not the whole population, but I would have a better chance of English speakers in Kenya than in Ethiopia.  They were once colonized by the Brits, so they drive on the same side as us and some of their basic laws are similar to ours.  I would assume that the job prospects would be better also in Kenya.  Certainly with paying ones and earning a wage.  For me this is not the clincher though. I am more than happy to do charity work or volunteer work and I know there is plenty of that in Ethiopia and I am still more than happy to settle there should I not like the feel of Kenya.  But I want to give it a try.  I owe it to myself to try.  I have always said I will not be coming back to Australia.  Africa is going to be my new home and I just need to find the right country for me.  I’m not scared to give them all a try if I have to and with contacts in Cameroon, Tanzania and Mozambique.  So I am not all out of options and I just have to see how it all goes once I am over there.  This is the scary thing for me.  Not having a plan past the 21st January 2013.  I am not that type of person and I just have to accept that it is just the way it is and when I say I am in the hands of fate, I really am-it isn’t just a saying for me, it is a fact and that SCARES me.           

People tell me how brave I am, but to be honest I am scared.  What about if I don’t make friends?  What about if I can’t find a job?  It’s so much for the money side of things the job.  It is more for me to meeting people and learning the language.  Money would be a bonus as that means I can save for airline tickets home-no work, means no trips and that fact makes me sad.  No I will definitely need to work, but the beauty is I won’t have to do it full time.  My quality of life will hopefully be better.  It may not be a western quality of life, what people would expect back home, but I can have a good life without all the pressures of mortgage, massive bills and the cost of living and health insurance.  For me this is a small sacrifice and you don’t need all the western comforts to be happy.  The African people have shown me that and to complete the picture I hope to meet that ‘some-one’ special one day and that would complete the picture for me.  Thrown in some children, whether I bear my own or adopt, this is also something else that is on my future cards.  I have so much to offer and I need to remember this in times of doubt.  Not only am I hoping to improve my own life, but also of those around me.

Shelly and I can’t even look at each other the last couple of days without getting tears in our eyes.  We don’t even have to speak.  Tessie is finding it hard.  Even though she knows why I am going they still have to ask why I have to go.  The easiest explanation I can give them is that I am going to help the children that don’t have mums and dads and I can’t do that from here in Australia.  I have to go over there to help them grow and to make them believe in themselves-give them love and friendship.  You can see their little 5 and 7 year old faces think about this fact and they accept it, but they still want to know why.  Tess keeps saying that she is happy that Christmas is coming but she is also sad as it also means that I will be leaving and tears spring to her face.  What can you say to a 5 year old that is breaking your heart when you see her cry because of you and there is nothing I can do about it?  The girls have memories like elephants and Tess keeps asking why I came home for Zoe’s birthday in July and why I won’t come back for her birthday in April?  She asks the tough questions that kid!  So I have made a promise to her that if I don’t come home for her next birthday which is unlikely I will make sure I will be home for her birthday in 2014.  Yu may laugh, but I know she will hold me to it, and if I make a promise I keep them, so if nothing else I know I will be home in April 2014.  I am dreading our airport goodbye.  DREADING.

I feel like an idiot now when people ask me where in Africa I am moving to?  Before it was 100% Ethiopia, but now I just don’t know and I am going to just have to keep looking like an idiot a little longer until I get my feet back onto the continent I have fallen in love with and see where I land.         

So with all my belongings donated and given away and my life condensed into 20 boxes waiting for shipment- it is time to say goodbye.
The time has come. 
They say that fortune favours the brave………  we will see  ………


No comments:

Post a Comment