Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Sunday, December 30, 2012

MY DAYS ARE TICK TICK TICKING


So I have a week, 7 DAYS until I leave and I have a few things I still need to do.  I have to get all my boxes and bags plastic wrapped.  Not only so that nothing can be put in my bags as they will be travelling unaccompanied but I have used the cheap zip bags that you get from the dollar shop and I am sure that they will not last the distance if they weren’t wrapped and the only place that seems to do it is at the departures hall at the international airport.  Luckily for me the Elkins only live 10 minutes away from the airport now that the tunnels have been completed, so I will probably have to make 4-5 trips to get them all done, but it is HIGH on my list this week.  I rang the ‘wrappers’ to make sure that they could wrap packing boxes which was a resounding yes and their opening hours are 6am till 11pm.  So it all looked promising and I was going to start my run on Friday as I would have Shane’s car in the afternoon and I can fit 4 boxes in the back of his with ease.     

The last of my things from the shipping container were delivered this week.  I had more than what I remembered and I had 7 days to get it all under control.  There were over 20 boxes, a bed and mattress, a TV cabinet, a few bedside tables, a glass table and a few hanging pictures.  The delivery came in the morning, so I got stuck straight into the boxes and a lot of them were the ‘bar’ boxes with pub paraphernalia collected from all over the world, glasses, Elmo boxes, my Tupperware boxes, my perfume and make-up and some more souvenir boxes.  The thorn was the big furniture, I didn’t want it, I didn’t have time or the care factor to sell it so what is the next best thing?  Roadside.  Shelly and I moved the large furniture items to the side of the house, on the curb-it sees a lot of traffic-and within 2 hours it was all taken.  We were home when the last of the things were taken and we peeked through the blinds to watch them as they popped the mattress on the roof of their car and then the guy walked off up the road with the base over his head.  We didn’t want them to see us in case it put them off taking the gear.  But it was a massive relief as I am just trying to have the least amount of things left at the Elkins as possible as I don’t want to clog up their house and shed with my crap. This also meant that I had to get rid of all my perfume.  Like my vodka collection, perfume was another thing that I just ended up always buying when coming through duty free and I had a lovely collection of around 30 bottles.  Yes, 30.  When I think about it and look at them all on my bed it does seem a little crazy now.  Most of them were ¾ full so I decided to take them to my work lunch I was having with the guys.  With 4 ladies I am sure that they will find something in there that they will like.  My makeup wasn’t as easy to part with; I have a great collection of Revlon and Dior make-up thanks to my ex-boss’s daughter who is a makeup artist.  So I have just decided to take it all with me-that can be one of my luxury items that will make the trip.    

On top of that I had to start to pack up my room and organise what was going to go and what was going to stay.  It sounds easy, but like any move you have the last minute fiddly things that sort of just don’t go anywhere, so I have been shuffling them around the last few weeks, you know small odds and sods.  Now that D-Day was approaching I had to make decisions and they had to be found a spot.  So mid-week was spent going through the last of the 20 boxes and packing the bags that were going to be sent to Africa once I get settled.  I have learnt from previous experience now that I had to take a more detailed inventory of what goes into each bag and then I can either get them all sent together, or if I need certain things in a hurry I know what bags they are in and they can be sent without much fuss.  The great thing with getting the bags shipped (besides the price) is that the company will come to the house to pick up all my bags and boxes, so again I am just trying to keep the work the Elkins have to do to a minimum.  So by the end of the week I had 2 suitcases, 7 large bags and 10 large boxes to send unaccompanied to Africa.  That in turn meant I had 5 trips to the airport to get them all shrunk wrapped and while I was there I weighed them all on their scales and then they were taken back home, numbered and stacked in my room now all waiting for the call-delivery day sometime in February all going well.  Total weight-302kg.......  I don't think that is too bad.  Once we have called the courier company my belongings will arrive within 5-7 days at the airport in Africa and then I will have to collect them from there and for the cost, for me, it is worth every penny.  The most important thing for me is the clothes.  It will be difficult for me to find clothes in my size so I have made sure I have enough for a while.  I have a ticket to London that I date changed when I didn’t use the return sector when I was supposed to leave Ethiopia in November, so this may well be used for a shopping trip in May-at least I will have a better idea of what I will need by May and can shop accordingly.      

Since my return back I have been lucky to have had some job offers and people interested in having a chat with me for prospective jobs.  It is very flattering I have to say, but as I am not staying I have let them all know that it was a thanks but no thanks.  I even had a travel company (who shall remain anonymous) asked if I wanted to write some stories for their new blog that they are launching but when they sent me the details it was to do it for FREE.  I think it was a little disappointed that they would think that anyone would work for free, I mean even the offer of a free trip or discounted trip would have sealed the deal for me.  Time is money at the end of the day right?  I mean I don’t even make money off my blog, so there was no revenue even from that coming my way.  It would have been a pretty cool gig, but I just wasn’t willing to do it for nothing-anyone would be crazy to do so.   

At the end of the week it was time to look at packing the stuff that would be coming with me on the trip.  I had the monster, but I was also looking at taking a few more clothes with me this time, so I wouldn’t have to worry about getting all my boxes sent in a hurry, I also had the cruise to think about with ‘cruise’ clothes to be packed.  This meant having a smaller bag, like a small gym size bag that I would check in as a second piece.  I looked at my first flight with Qantas and you could prepay to have a second bag for 90AUD.  This seemed reasonable to me and I prepaid this online.  You can do it at the airport when you check-in but it costs 120AUD to do it there.  I have always been paranoid and have also been charged for excess baggage before, so if I could do it all before I left then it would take the stress out of the check-in process.  My next flights to the UK were with Malaysia Airlines.  After checking their web site, there didn’t seem to be an option where you could purchase additional luggage or kilo’s, so I made a phone call to their call centre and was told that you can’t do that with them and there is a flat rate for excess baggage.  I nearly died when I asked how much that would be and she told me it was going to be 150SGD per kilo which in Aussie dollars was 118AUD per KILO.  PER KILO!!!!  So my little gym bag that currently weighed 10kg was going to cost me 1180AUD.  The actual ticket was only 550AUD.  That was insane.  I am happy to pay, I don’t expect anything for free but that to me is a rip and it is how all the airlines used to do their excess baggage and I WASN’T going to pay that.  So I needed to put on my thinking cap and Shelly came up with the idea of putting what I could into a duty free bag and taking it with me on the plane rather than checking it in and I was going to run with this idea until I thought it through and knew my monster was going to weigh more than 20kg anyway and I would still be in a world of hurt.  So I went back to the drawing board and decided to buy a new ticket with Emirates and date change my Malaysia Airlines ticket down the track to a random date in October.  The Emirates ticket was only an extra 250AUD than what I paid for the Malaysia Airlines ticket and they give you 30kg of luggage.  You can prepay for additional kilos, but I will just try my luck when I check-in at Singapore, it’s only a 20% saving.  So this was all done 3 days before I was due to fly-talk about some last minute changes.  I also had to amend my London accommodation bookings, as I am now staying with friends for some of my stay and I also had to get some travel insurance.  All my banking needs were checked and login details for internet banking all checked and confirmed, some USD obtained and all my travel documents printed and checked.  I was now ready to go.  I wanted this all done by Friday, so that it would give me the weekend to help the Elkins with the preparation of Christmas and to just relax and know that everything I had to do was done.    

My time was tick, tick, ticking-but I am read, read, ready now to start the next journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment