Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Monday, December 3, 2012

MY LAST DAY OF MY ODYSSEY


WEATHER: Cooler and 18C

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Airline repacking and it all FITS

BUMMER OF THE DAY: Saying goodbye to my World Odyssey

WORD OF THE DAY: All good things must come to an end…..

So today is my last official day Bernie’s World Odyssey.
I do have 2 days travel time to get me home, but it feels sad in one instance to think that 553 days has come to an end, but I am happy to be heading home for 5 weeks and then finally getting settled in Africa, finding my feet and settling down-well for a little while at least.  I really have no idea on what to expect, where I will be in 3 months’ time, let alone in 12 months’ time and this is what I am finding most anxious about the whole thing.  I am a planner from way back-in a western world I would have a job lined up, somewhere to live and have a date that I know I would be coming back to Australia for a visit.  I have NONE of those.  I am entirely in the hands of fate, and as exciting as it sounds, it is still terrifying for me.  At the end of the day, if anything happens, I know I can be on a jet-plane and on my way home in a heartbeat if I need/want to. 

I have nothing planned today at all except dinner with Kate at 6pm.  Oh besides packing my bags and finding room for all the jewelry, Buddha heads, the 7 books I bought, my freckle mat, scarves, 4 pictures and all my things that I left at the hotel before heading out on this trip.  I also want to work on my blog and finalize my African Odyssey blog, as I am just not sure how much time I will have once I get home.  It was busy last time I was here and I had 7 weeks, how will we cope when we only have 5 weeks, my birthday and Christmas to boot.  Well we will work with what we have – it’s all we can do.  So with that said, even though I knew I should have been doing a blog, I needed a break and ended up working on my new blog for the whole day.  I didn’t eat breakfast; I was now on a mission with the blog.  Once I put my mind to something I like to just get it done and I also thought I better make use of the power supply while I still had it in my room.  I also had every other power point in use charging cameras, IPod, IPad and also my Kindle for my trip home.  No-one can say that I am not prepared that s for sure. 

The power went off at 1pm and it was a blessing in disguise for me.  It made me get off the computer and get stuck into my packing.  Looking at all my things spread on the bed, I could see it was going to be a challenge, I knew it would all fit, it was just how much it was all going to weigh and the only thing I was worried about was my freckle rug.  I am still glad I bought it, it is super cool, but I was to still work out how I would get it home.  It took me 2 hours, but I got everything packed.  The ‘monster’ of my backpack lived up to its name, with me having to let out the extension zipper to give me some extra room to play with, I have wrapped my freckle bag as tight as I could in a plastic bag, taped it together and have slid it into my Philippine eco shoulder bag and I will carry it as hand luggage along with my small backpack and my handbag.  I am going to look a little awkward but what do I care, I’m on my way home and just need to make sure that I get into the overhead luggage space first so it doesn’t go with my 2 pieces of hand luggage.  Only a few things didn’t make the cut and that was the overnight bag I bought in Phuket and I also left my Crocs that I bought in Paraguay, they were on their last legs, so I may as well leave them here.  I reckon my backpack is around the 26kg mark, it is heavy-but hopefully I will get it through the next 2 check-ins, surely I can’t get hit for excess baggage on my last legs-can I? 

I got another blog uploaded and worked on the new project till 6pm when I had to leave to meet Kate for dinner and I am so glad that we made it early as I hadn’t eaten breakfast or dinner and I was famished.  We met again at the Kathmandu Guesthouse and then made our way to K-Too which seems to be a popular place for tourists to eat and we were lucky we were early, as the night wore on the place was a hive of activity and since we were in no hurry to leave we were one of the last table to leave later on.  It is well known for its steaks, so I had one of them and it was delicious and as it was my last night we decided to share a bottle of Chilean wine and we just chatted the night away.  There are some people in this world you just click with and Kate is one of them for me.  We probably spent more time together in the 2 times we have seen each other than what we did on our South American trip.  She was very outdoorsy, hiking and riding bikes where I was NOT that way inclined, so it Has been a late friendship to bloom but I am so lucky to have spent my last night with some-one and not on my own and as we said goodbye at 10pm with a promise to keep in touch, hopefully see each other at Christmas and a hug I walked home through the deserted streets with a smile on my face.      
  
So it may not have been the most exciting day, but it ended great, my bags are packed and tomorrow I start my 33 hour journey home and I am excited about seeing the guys again on Saturday morning.  It also means I am a step closer to having to make my mind up about what I am going to do with my belongings that are in the shipping container, but that is for tomorrow-tonight I need to soak up where I have been, what I have done, the people I have been blessed to meet and with all that in mind-I went to sleep with a smile on my dial and everything else happening in my life is moot.  Zeme and I used to have a saying that there is no use getting upset about things that happened yesterday-it has passed and we just need to look forward and I am going to take his advice and what happened between us has passed and I AM going to move forward, and with my head held high. 

Goodnight from my last official day on my World Odyssey.





No comments:

Post a Comment