Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Monday, December 19, 2011

SAME SAME BUT MORE CUZCO

I’m just about Cuzco’ed out.  We had another 2 days here in this beautiful town, but I think 9 nights here is plenty and I am looking forward to getting back on out massive yellow truck and onto our next part of our adventure. 

As I am a GREAT roomie, I was happy to sleep in for both days we had in Cuzco with Kate till 10.30am. So no breakfast required and we just had brunch both days.  So by the time we were up and about we really only had the afternoon both days.

I got a parcel sent off home and one to Beth to thank her for all the work she has been doing on all my bookings while I have been away.  In total for nearly 3kg it cost me just over 60AUD.  They have a great set up at the Cuzco post office.  There is guy set up to one side that provides boxes, tape, envelopes etc…. and you can pay him to pack everything up for you.  My 2 packages, all boxed, addressed and ready to send cost me 8SOL which is like 2.50AUD!!!!!  I tipped this guy as he was super-fast and defo worth the money.  Two packages down, I have one more on the truck to post, but I’ll get that sent from La Paz in a few days’ time.

As we were walking around we stumbled onto a hairdresser’s.  It looked like a normal hairdresser’s back home and for Peru; I think quite a swanky joint with Revlon posters on the walls.  We popped in to initially make an appointment, but they could take me straight away, so no time like the present and I really needed the cut, so I sat in the chair and explained with hand actions that I only wanted a ‘little’ cut off.  Last time I said that I was in Reunion Island and her ‘little’ was like 10cm cut off.  So with my fingers crossed I watched as my Peruvian hairdresser cut off what needed to be done and she did a great job.  After she had finished the cut she asked if I wanted it washed, they do it the other way round, but I said no and to just blow dry it off and we would be done.  So I went to pay, I hadn’t asked at the start how much the cut would be, rookie mistake, but at the end of the day I needed it and I would have paid whatever they asked.  So I handed over my credit card not wanting to use all my local cash and there was a bit of discussion over the card, so I asked how much the cut was and it was 25SOL which is like 8AUD.  Hell no wonder they were talking about the amount, it was a pittance, so I paid cash and left feeling like a new woman.  It has been over 3 months since my last cut, so it was well overdue.

We also got some washing down through the hotel.  It was only 1.30AUD for a kilo and if it was dropped in before 9am it would be back after 2pm the same day.  I am loving all this cheap washing.  I am able to have cleaner clothes more often- what a treat.  So to get 50% of my pack washed only cost me $4.50AUD.  AWESOME.

Throw into the mix a bit more handicraft shopping, and yeas a few more of the stitched bags, I think I am happy to report that I think I am now shopped out of those bags that pretty much completed our last days in Cuzco. 

This place is amazing at night.  When you stand in the main square and look towards the mountain, all the lights from the locals houses make the mountain look like a big Christmas tree.  They also have illuminated life size lama’s and animals in the square with the square buildings lit up, it really is a magical place at night.

So this is goodbye to Cuzco.  I am glad all the trekkers made it back safe and sound-it has been a great week to chill and relax and now it is time to move on.


No comments:

Post a Comment