Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Monday, December 12, 2011

CHILLIN IN CUZCO

WEATHER: Cold and Wet 15C

WORD OF THE DAY: I’m missing my roomie………

My last few days in Cuzco have been so low key I am writing a combination blog for the next 3 days.  Really, I have done SFA but sometimes you need to have these days.

Everyone was making out what a great time I would be having with the room to myself and no roomie, but I am missing her and thinking of her this morning as they start the Inca Trail.  Paul, Lizzie and I met at reception at 9.30 to tuck into a full English breakfast (vegetarian for them) at the English pub McCoy’s and to settle in for the morning for a game of football to watch Paul’s team Liverpool play QFC? QBC? QTC?  Anyway a team that has blue and white stripes.  I even got into the groove and donned a red shirt in honor of Paul’s team.  I was tempted to wear blue, but as they actually invited me to come along I thought it may have been a little rude.  I am not a football (soccer) fan at the best of times, but I gave it a go as Paul and I cracked a beer at 9.45am in the morning.  Well it is 12 noon somewhere in the world right.  My interest waned just after half time, but luckily I came prepared and I bought my laptop to do some blogging while the second half played out.  I am happy to report that Liverpool won 1-0 and Paul was happy to take the 3 points.  By this time I had nearly consumed 1.5L of beer and Paul had double that and it was only midday.  I headed back to the hotel for the rest of the afternoon and met up with Paul and Lizzie for dinner at Jacks Café. We had plans to visit a salsa club, but as usual my dinner was making a second come back and I had to race back home to deal with it.

I was to meet Paul and Lizzie the following morning at 7.40am to go to a church service at the Cathedral, but my tummy was still a little gurgly, so I messaged them that I was going to pass and catch up with them later.  They have been great to include me in their activities in the absence of my roomie.  Thanks guys.  So I replied to some long overdue emails, got my last blog up and generally just chilled.  I passed on breakfast and then Lizzie text me at 11am saying there was something going on in the square, processions, colorful costumes, music and outdoor mass.  So I thought I better get my sorry arse out of the room and go and check it out.  Well there were hundreds, nearly thousands of people all in national dress, all from different regions all grouped like an Easter parade ready to head out.  It was a little unfortunate that it was raining, but once again it wasn’t that heavy and just a drizzle.  Lucky Lizzie had warned me about the weather and I was rugged up with Beanie, leggings, pants and my wet jacket.  I was initially going to meet up with the guys, but there were so many people around I decided to jostle a spot near the church and just people watch from there for a while.  It took around an hour for the procession to kick off, so they were all just standing around in their groups waiting for the start, which came and then the music started and the dancing and it was a thrill to see all these people smiling and enjoying themselves even if it was raining.  Some of the younger people were looking a little tired and out of a group of 10 photos I took I got 3 separate people yawning, just by random chance!  But there was noise, colour, flags, singing and the atmosphere was amazing.  I stood and watched for just over 1.5 hours before I decided I was getting hungry and I couldn’t help myself, I wanted something quick and easy so I went to KFC, yes people I had Kentucky and I have to say it was delicious and I go the Mega Meal for 5AUD.  Bargain.  So I sat in KFC eating and reading my book for around 45 minutes before going back outside where the procession was still in full force.  The sun had now peeked out so I sat on the steps and wrote up my 3 postcards before the weather turned again and it started to rain again.  This was my queue to head home.  I need to make a point that KFC was the first meal that hasn’t gone through me.  Something to be said on deep fried food for an altitude affected stomach maybe?

We need to pack an overnight bag for tomorrow and check-out of our rooms in the morning.  We are spending a night in Aguas Calienties tomorrow night for the final push to Machu Picchu on Tuesday morning, where we will meet our tired and weary group for a tour of the ruins before getting some free time and then head back to Cuzco in the afternoon for another 3 nights here.  Machu Picchu has been on my Bucket list before there even was a bucket list.  So this is definitely going to be one of the highlight of the trip for me.  And I will not feel guilty that I have gone up and back on the train.  I am just one of the smart ones, oh besides Paul and Lizzie of course!

The afternoon was spent trying to get all my Bernstar jumps together.  When I had used my eternal hard drive in the hotels computers it has somehow corrupted all my Odyssey photos from the start.  I can see all the folders on the drive, but it bings up an error every time I go to click on them.  I am not too worried as I still have the original files on the SD cards as well, but I had been compiling all my jumps into a folder I can now no longer get to.  So I am now on Facebook and looking through each folder I have uploaded to get all my jumps back and uploaded.  What a massive job, considering I haven’t loaded a jump since Contiki Spain in May!!!  Oh my goodness!!!!

Dinner was at an Indian restaurant with Lizzie and Paul.  It was 15SOL (5AUD) all you can eat!  With a bottle of coke for 3SOL (1AUD) it was a bargain dinner and quite tasty as well.  It was back to the hotel after dinner to finish the packing of bags in preparation for an early start tomorrow morning.  We are making our way by van and train to get us to Aguas Calientes for the night and then we embark quite early by bus the following morning to Machu Picchu.  This has been on my bucket list for a very long time and in 2 days my dream is finally going to be lived.  I can’t wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment