Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Friday, September 30, 2011

REUNION ISLAND =REST AND ISOLATION


WEATHER: Overcast days and cooler nights
HIGHTLIGHT OF THE DAY: Doing nothing
BUMMER OF THE DAY: Paying 14EUR for a crap Club sandwich
BUYS OF THE DAY: The 375ml bottle of Diet Coke for 4.50EUR – they are .80EUR at the supermarket
WORD OF THE DAY: Lazy

Well things have been that ‘restful’ I am going to have to combine 3 days into one entry.  It has been that busy –not.

I have now been in Reunion for 3 days and I haven’t made breakfast once.
I have now been in Reunion for the last 3 days and I haven’t done dinner once.
Don’t worry I have been eating, just not as much as I have been over the last 2.5 months its just food bought from the supermarket.  The reason I haven’t made breakfast isn’t because I have slept past 10am.  I’m up, I’ve either just been on the computer or I can’t be bothered walking the 10 minutes to the restaurant to get there.  I had all intentions of going this morning, having showered and deliberately not switching on the computer, as I had all intentions of going, and then I laid down and thought was I really that hungry?  So I didn’t go.  Dinner has been pretty much the same.  They have a buffet here every night and it is only 35EUR, which I think the price isn’t too bad, but I just couldn’t be bothered going, I am not sure what is wrong with me.  I have eaten out once and it was for lunch on the 1st day.  I ate at the pool bar that has sandwiches, salads and pizza’s.  I ordered the club sandwich and it was the worst CS that I have ever had and all for the grand cost of 14EUR!!  I know hotel prices are steep, but you would expect to at least get a good sandwich for that.  The upside is there is free Wi-Fi over the whole resort, so that eased the pain a little.

Wi-Fi.  IT has been my pal the last 3 days.  I have finally loaded my 44, yes people you have been looking through FORTY FOUR albums of Africa in the past 3 weeks.  Let me tell you with the internet connections I have had at some places it has been a stella effort in patience, but I finally loaded the last album yesterday.  I have also loaded 10 albums of Madagascar with only one left to go I feel great that I am now up to date with my pictures.  The internet even improved enough for me load up 6 videos that we prepared on our second last day of the trip and I am so so so so glad that we did that.  Sometimes photos and blog entries just don’t do any justice too some things and it was the BEST idea I have had all trip.  Watching the videos is just like have the crew right there and they are pretty DAMN funny!  I am also loving the contact I still have with everyone on-line.  We have live chats and real time comments on photos and messages and advice all there at the push of a button.  I’m going to miss that when they go back to their jobs and when I lose my 24/7 connection again. 

So with my computer and my TV on the music channel, which is the only channel beside CNN that is in English, they are the only 2 things that have kept me company.  Even the music channel runs on a loop and I have heard the same songs for the last 3 days.  They have some French/English songs as well which I have to say I am a fan, so I have written them down in the hope I will be able to download them at some stage.  I have no idea on what they are about but French pop seems to be pretty cool.  CNN is currently all over the Michael Jackson trial and I watched the Prosecutor’s opening statement in full and live, so that was pretty riveting – sad isn’t it.

The most exciting thing that has happened is a problem with my Travelex card.  I used it for my duty free purchase in Tanna and then when I arrived into Reunion 4 hours later I used it at an ATM at the airport.  Well getting out 70EUR wasn’t going to cut the mustard when I did my supermarket shop and it cost me 33EUR, so I went to use the ATM again and the machine said I had to contact my bank.  Weird, I know there is money on it.  Anyway I didn’t think too much of it, I have other cards purely for this reason, so I still got my cash and preceded home.  When I logged into my Hotmail there was a message from Travelex saying that have temporally stopped my card as they think there may be some fraudulent transactions happening and to call them.  So I phoned and it flagged because there was no way I could have gotten from Madagascar to France in 4 hours.  But really I was in Reunion, but it was a French bank I used, not a bad system they have there, it’s all about protecting your moula, so he unlocked it within 10 minutes and problem solvered.  Thanks Travelex for looking after me.

I do need to take a walk around the resort; I haven’t even made it to the beach yet.  Hold that.
Okay I’m back.  I felt so bad I hadn’t gone to the beach; I grabbed my camera and IPod and went for a wonderful stroll along the beach.  It isn’t the best beach on the island, but the water is so warm and as it was late in the afternoon, I decided to have dinner, I know first time, and watch a beautiful Reunion sunset with a cold Mojito in my hand.  Even though that wonderfully strong Mojito was 11EUR I was getting some bang for my buck, so I couldn’t complain.  So now I am back and I feel better that I have left my room and my balcony that I seem to have been hibernating on the last 3 days.  I did feel bad that I had done nothing, but I need to have some down time somewhere right!  I tried to book a day tour to the volcano, I met with my representative last night and he said he would call if there was a tour I could join tomorrow (today) and he would call.  Well I got no message and then my phone rings at 7am this morning there was some-one here to collect me.  WTF – I said I could be there in 15 minutes and the guide said he couldn’t wait and left.  So I contacted Cedric back this afternoon and there is no volcano tour tomorrow – so I have missed the boat all together now on getting out there.  I am a bit bummed about that as it was really the only thing I wanted to do while I was here.  Oh well, I did try.

Oh I did get something productive done yesterday.  I got my haircut.  Jean-Louis David salon sounds reputable right.  So the reception chick didn’t speak English but the hairdresser did a little.  So I was just trying to explain I wanted to keep it long I just wanted a trim and to keep the same style.  So doing the right thing she pulled out a book that had my cut in it but shorter and I said yes like that but keep it long.  Well after about the 3rd snip, I knew that it was going to be shorter than first anticipated.  Actually she has chopped off a lot and I am back to my pre-trip length I got done just before leaving!  Oh well I guess there is just 3 weeks between a good haircut and a bad one and if nothing else I got French cut right!?  It did need a cut, I was looking all bushy, so I can’t get too upset about it. Nothing like getting something lost in translation!

So that has pretty much been my last 3 days in Reunion Island, not very exciting but I’m okay with that.  Tomorrow is my last day and I might actually go and spend some time on the beach tomorrow with my book and leave the realms of my balcony.  I’m looking forward to the Seychelles, I think the weather is going to be improved there and really excited about Ethiopia and getting back to a group atmosphere.  I miss talking to people and having a laugh.  



No comments:

Post a Comment