Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Monday, September 19, 2011

GOODBYE TO ALL MY AFRICAN INTREPID FRIENDS

Well what can I say?
60 days camping
3 groups with 2 change overs and meeting over 40 people
60 days camping
Great mates no make that awesome life-long friends made
60 days camping

As mentioned before I am not a camper.  I’ve always wanted to travel to Africa and do it properly.  I had been before, but it was just for 2 weeks and I flew in and flew out, like 95% of people tend to do.  It is purely a time thing; I mean how many people do you know can take off 2 months to vacation across a continent?  Well I was lucky to meet 3 people who could – and I thank my travel god every day that they chose this trip and we got to meet.  Lisa, Sean and Manu are the ‘original’ posse.  60 days together, we thought it was a life time – 2 months, 8 weeks, 60 days – we have forever.  Throw into the mix 60 days in a tent, this fact didn’t really dawn on me when I initially made the booking.  It had all the countries I wanted, a great time line, a reputable company – lock it in.  It was then after I paid my deposit and started to tell people what I was doing, that you could see the amusement in their eyes and the ‘good-luck with that’ pat on the back.  Well not one to give in easily, well most times, it was the only way I could see I could do it without it costing me a bomb or travelling with the blue rinses.  I also had so many more trips prior to Africa and I was more concentrating on what was coming up than in 4 month’s time.

Well I survived.  In fairness we had some upgrades into rooms along the way, so technically we were only in tents for around 50 days, but to pitch, mattress, unpitch each day I have to say I really didn’t get sick of it by the end.  I rekon I could have gone another 60 days if the itinerary was right and I still had my family.  I guess it needs to be said if you have a shitty group this also reflects on your trip, so a small mention needs to go to each and every person that was on the 3 tours, you guys helped make the trip of a life time just that and I will never forget any of you.  Never.

In saying that I do have to give a special shout out to several people.  If your name isn’t here, it means you’re no less important, but these guys were my core peeps and I sometimes think they may know more about me than my friends back home.  24 hours a day 7 days a week for 8 weeks, yeah we certainly talked about some issues, life and love.  Sounds more like a retreat than a holiday huh!

Where do I start?
Lisa Jones aka Tentie aka Trumpet
You are the smartest person I know.  After Manu (but she’s Swiss so it’s a bit unfair).  You are a one of a kind, one in a million, selfless and caring person I know.  We talked and laughed our way through 8 countries and I know I will never have a travel buddy like you.  It was like we had known each other for years and I remember that first night in Nairobi I had only met you for 1 hour and I offered you there and then to share my room in Cape Town as you still had to book something.  We must have known then that we would have a friendship that will last through anything.  And I mean anything – I miss you already Leese and can’t wait to see you again in London.  Love ya xx

Sean Timothy McGrath aka AG aka PIC
You buddy have to be one of the nicest guys I know on the planet.  You are attentive, you really listen to people, you will strike up a conversation with anyone and you make them feel like a million bucks.  When I make the AG call, I really do mean it – I mean no-one else has even come close to an AG call so constantly on any of my travels so far.  Keep being you, things all happen for a reason and good things come to those who wait.  You were also an integral part of the Africa experience for me and I am super thankful you were on my trip.  Take care AG and you just never know when our paths may cross again.

David Greene with an E
Well my Irish pal.  You were an interesting one.  Nothing got past you and you were the first one to speak your mind on anything and everything.  You are a special individual (I mean that in the nicest way) and you were my confident in a lot of things that I would never imagined I would ever tell anyone.  You were also there for advice, to pull me out of the sad’s and brightened up my day when I needed it.  You were also the key to talking to me and getting me to stay for the last 3 weeks of the trip and I am in DEBT (to within reason) to you for your talk to me and suggesting me to call home.  I love you David Greene with an E and I can’t wait for you to move to Australia next year – look out Brissy there will be another crazy Irishman on the loose.  PS: I do have to admit I like Botswana Dave a little more though…

James aka Jimbob aka Jim aka James
Jimbob – I know you hate that name, even after you let me call you that for the last 3 weeks before letting me know on the second last day that you disliked it!  Boofhead.  Well you were my drinking buddy.  You were the first person to ask if I wanted a beer the second the tents were up, the last one at night to still be there with a beer in hand and not even counting the beers in between.  I miss you buddy.  With your 24 hour rule, your positive attitude, your memory recall on dates in your life, your fancy words that sometimes lost me to your 10 year old sleeping bag and 5 year old thongs.  I am glad I got the 44 days with you Jim, um I mean James and I wish you all the best in Singapore.  I will defo be flying through there at some stage, so I will let you know.  I still miss you love from your snowflake.

Manu Nosser
My Swiss friend who threaten to kill me once if we left the waterhole early.  With friends like that who needs enemies.  Now Manu is the smartest person I know.  The Swiss education system has them knitting, hairdressing, synchronized swimming, speaking 4 languages, teaching 5 subjects and that is just warming up.  We are very similar in makeup Manu.  If we are tired people know about it, if we are cranky people know about it.  It was like we were cast from the same mold, which is why we got along so well I think.  You are my fellow Helmut GF lover with our call blu blu blu blu blu blu blu blu blu blu now part of my vocabulary and no-one else except our Namibia friends even know what we are talking about will bring a smile to my face every time and I now have it for eternity on video, so you will be right there with me when I need you.  I’m going to miss your upfront approach Manu and just be careful when you are in the Willage xx

Paps and Em – you guys were the bomb and I really still miss you guys.  Always there for a laugh and a hug when needed.  Some people you just know are good and honest eggs and you 2 have to be the happiest couple I have ever met EVER and can’t wait to see you guys in London in October.

Em and Louise – my gossip Queens.  You were there when I needed to say something and have a chat knowing that it wouldn’t go any further.  Many a night we ran through the day and pulled it apart and it was just what I needed and I am so glad we got to see you guys again on a dusty road in Namibia for a chuckle and a hug again.  I will defo be seeing you in shitty Canberra when I get home.  Love you guys

Jo BM Jo
Well we had a lot in common besides our **cough cough**age.  You were my bus buddy for 16 days.  You were there for the laughs and some tears, but more the laughs and I love love love you.  Elmo misses puppy and hopes that we can all catch up again in October.  It broke my heart knowing that you were going to be travelling another 2 weeks on a similar trip but on a different truck.  You have been my text buddy since leaving and an ear of advice as well and I really do treasure our friendship.  You are one in a million Jo. Xx

The Twins aka Emily and Christina
You guys R-O-C-K.  Not only are you fellow Queenslanders but awesome gals always ready with a story and a laugh.  We had our secret looks that only we knew what we were talking about and we were always on the same page when something happened and we would just look at each other and know exactly what we were thinking.  Even with more than **cough cough** ten years difference between us, it was like we had been friends forever.  We really missed you guys on the last section, it was like a candle had gone out and couldn’t be re-lit.  We will defo be catching up when I get home oh and tell Aunty Veronica I say hi!  Another small world incident!  Xx

Simon Hooker aka Simon Hooker aka Simbob
Well to my fellow Dic Dic.  Just to let you know I was the manager of the Dic Dic’s just to clarify it for everyone.  You know if it’s on the blog it must be true.  Sim, you were a great bloke.  I could always turn to you for a bit of ribbing and know that I could give it back and we would still be mates afterwards.  Don’t forget we have that squash challenge at some stage so I can kick some serious Sim arse.  You are missed but it did mean more potatoes for us in your absence!!

I could go on and on about everyone, but you were all awesome and I loved meeting every one of you, even if you didn’t get a personal mention above.  It is people that make a tour and I have been graced to have had 3 amazing trips.

This was a trip of a lifetime and I have made some lifelong friends.
Good-bye to you all and hope to see you all again someday.

1 comment:

  1. You sweet sweet lady! Everyone will be riding a happy Bernie high after reading that :) We had such a special trip and I'm thankful everyday that I shared it with you and the others. Miss you lots B - remind me to take my malaria tablet! Love you

    ReplyDelete