Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Monday, November 26, 2012

WE REACHED THE TOP OF THE WORLD-HELLO MT EVEREST


WEATHER: A beautiful 28C

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: The stunning view of the Himalaya’s from the air

BUMMER OF THE DAY: Can’t think of a single thing

WORD OF THE DAY: Reunion

We were off to do our scenic flight this morning of the Himalaya’s.  This was the closest I was going to get to Mt Everest, so I was pretty excited about this morning’s adventure.  I didn’t even care that I had to be up at 5am for a 5.30am departure.  Jess woke up with the alarm at 5am and was going to get up to say goodbye when I left, as she would be gone by the time we got back from our flight, but I am terrible at goodbyes, so I left a note for her and quietly left the room without waking her.

There wasn’t much traffic on the roads at 5.30am and after a 20 minute drive we made it to the airport.  Nepal’s only international airport also has a domestic terminal located next door.  The airport began as Gauchar Airport, named after the area of Kathmandu where it was situated. The formal beginning of aviation in Nepal occurred in 1949 with the landing of a lone, four-seater, Beechcraft Bonanza aircraft, carrying the Indian ambassador. The first charter flight took place between Gaucher and Calcutta, in a Himalayan Aviation Dakota on 20 February 1950 and it looks like the airport hasn’t been touched since.  We pulled into a car park, and Padma who was with us, walked us as far as he was allowed to go to the terminal entrance.  There was an exodus of tourists all coming for the scenic flight, no kidding there must have been 300 of us.  Padma wasn’t allowed into the terminal, so he waved us goodbye and he would be waiting for us when we got back and we showed our passports and tickets, went through a security screening and then we were at the check-in counters.  We were flying Buddha Airlines, located the check-in counter and made our way there.  We had only waited not even a minute and a staff member asked if we had paid the departure tax-which we hadn’t-so we went to another counter not far from check-in and we paid the 200 rupees (2.50AUD), headed back to the Buddha Air counter and continued to check-in.  We showed our passports and tickets again (the travel agent in me kicked in) and even though it looked like an organized chaos behind the counter, they all seemed to have a job to do and after 10 minutes we had our boarding passes.  I did the only fare thing and turned all the boarding passes face down and got everyone to select one for their seat.  Apparently the right side of the plane (the opposite side to the captain) gets a better view on the return leg. 

So with our seats organized, we passed through one last security screen and were now in the departure lounge.  There were 4 other airlines also operating the Everest Scenic flights, so we found what gate that Buddha Air left from, found some seats and waited for our call.  The departure boards were displaying all the flights for the day, so every 10 minutes we could see our flight number come up on the screen which was 100.  The roll out call then started for the flights at 6.45am and they were calling 102, 103, 300 and we were starting to get antsy that we had missed our call.  We checked twice and got the hand up and a wait, its coming comment.  Well we hadn’t missed the flight and another 10 minutes later and our flight was finally called-no PA announcement, they were just shouting out the flight numbers as people all milled around the gate wondering what was happening.  I used my flying experience, and was walking around the crowd looking at all their boarding passes to see if there were other 100 flight number people and there were, so we just had to be patient and we took seats and waited. 

While we were sitting there, on the back of our boarding pass was all the airports in Nepal and their 3 letter codes.  That posed the question on how many airports are there in the world?  Being in the travel industry, every airport in the world that operates a controlled/managed/reported airstrip has a 3 letter code.  John and I were trying to work it out (at 6.30am) and multiplying the numbers to get all the possible combinations of the codes it came to 119,000-so it had to be less than that, but we both thought it would be close.  What happens when all the 3 letter codes are used up?  Well I Google’d it and there is no single authority that maintains records or certifies the existence of airfields or airports in the world but the total number of airports in the world is estimated to be over 50,000 including 14,858 in the United States alone.  We were both not even close!!!  That was out interesting stat for the day.   

I was little edgy with the flight.  Only 4 weeks prior, 27th September, a plane heading for the Everest region crashed on the outskirts of Nepal's capital, killing all 19 people on board including seven British tourists.  Sixteen passengers and three crew were on board the twin-propeller Dornier.  In May, 15 people were killed when a plane crashed trying to land at an airport in the north of the country.  In September 2011, 19 people were killed when a Buddha Air plane crashed during a flight to view Mount Everest.  Well we were flying Buddha Air, but like the roads in Nepal, when your time is up it is up and there is no use worrying about the things that you can’t change, live life-so I banished that thought as finally our flight was called and we boarded the busses that were to drive us to the plane.  Buddha Air started operations in October 1997 with a brand new Beech 1900D. The name of the airline is derived from the Sanskrit word 'Buddha' meaning enlightened preferably a title used for the much revered Siddharta Gautama. Buddha Air is unique in flying only new aircraft that are delivered from the factory. The average age of the aircraft are 4 years.

Flights operate every day throughout the year, although the best viewing season is from September through May.  We were in the right season.  It was foggy this morning and I hoped that this wouldn’t affect the view, which I know once you rise above the clouds that it is a whole different world up there.  The seat that I was left with after the draw was on the left of the plane (apparently the wrong side) but it was all done fair and square and by the end of the flight I actually didn’t mind that side which I will go into later.  There was a line of planes and busses dropping people off, it really was a mass production and that was just the Buddha Air planes, there were also 3 other companies that were also loading passengers.  We boarded the plane and it didn’t look anything like I thought it would and I mean it was nicer than what I expected.  Individual window seats are guaranteed to everyone. I was seated just behind the back of the wing.  The plane's wings were above the windows, so they don't block the view of the mountains as such but they’re still part of your view.  So I would call that an obstructed view, but I was lucky that I had two windows in my row, so I was able to look backwards out of the 2nd window to take non-obstructed view photos.  Every second row had the 2 window configuration so I was happy with the seat.  I think the 4 rows in front would have not have been so lucky and then once over the wing great viewing seats again.  So once we all got seated, we were offered a mint and waited for around 15 minutes for permission to take off and then we soared into the sky for our scenic flight. 

Travel to the top of the world's largest mountain range was exciting and as we cleared the fog and what seemed a little smog the weather cleared a little but seemed a little hazy.  As we leveled out at 21,000ft the air Hostees came down the aisle and handed out little maps of the Himalayan Mountain Range and the contours of the mountains and their names.  They actually slipped the maps under the clip that hold the food tray so that you could keep your hands free and easily look at the map for reference.  So with me sitting on the left we go the views for the first 30 minutes of the flight.  I felt a little bad for the others in the on the right side of the plane but then I knew their time would come and I made the most of my view.  I was snapping like crazy and I am so glad that I had a great zoom on my camera.  There were some people with the small 3 optical zoom cameras and really wonder what type of photos they were going to get with them.  One of my best buys of my whole trip was my camera.  It is the largest camera I have had and it isn’t as fancy as having changeable lenses or anything but it has a 24 optical zoom and it takes magic photos all for the low cost of 360AUD.  Best purchase ever and combined with my ‘drinking’ camera-aka small 8 optical camera they have done me proud over the last 20 months. 

As we got the first view, the people sitting on the other side we taken up 2 at a time to the cockpit and given a bird’s eye view from the front.  The Hostees were very helpful in pointing out what we were seeing and organizing the cockpit visits, to make sure everyone got an equal look as we got views over Mount Everest, Lhotse, and Makalu, Kanchenjunga and the Tibetan plateau.  We also got great views of the natural serenity, beautiful mountain valleys, large open clear skies, and lush flora and fauna of the valley and of course mountains poking out of the clouds covered in snow of all levels.  I just couldn’t stop taking photos.  It was breathtaking and to think that people climb these suckers is awe inspiring and I know that I will never do that ever in my life as I am not that kind of person, but people go through a lot to scale these ranges and it is actually hard to believe to a non-trekker.  To set the record straight you don’t go "over" Mt. Everest and you don't go "around" Mt. Everest. You fly along the range of the Himalayas that includes Mt. Everest and Everest was the turning point of the flight and then our side said goodbye and the right side picked up the view.  We were a lot closer once we had turned around and I was very lucky as the lady in the row across from me also had the 2 window configuration, so while she used one window I was able to get some better photos on our way back to Kathmandu.  So even though our view wasn’t so great on the way out, I did get the best of both worlds and consider myself lucky.  So to clear it all up the mountains are in the distance and you really are not near them, but if you have a decent camera you can get some great photos.  The highlight for me was the visit to the cockpit.  I think I have travelled on so many planes and so used to seeing just a 90 degree view, so to enter the cockpit and see what a 180 degree view looks like was AMAZING.  It was like a different world up there.  We got about a minute in there-if that-looking over the shoulders of the 2 pilots and I had to tell them that they had one of the best jobs in the world seeing a view like that every day!!!!  Once we had all had a turn we were able to go in for a second visit if we wanted.  It was well policed by the Hostees which was good and everyone was happy camper-situations like that can get out of control and I guess they know that. You don’t want to have a barney/fight at 21,000ft in the air. 

We arrived back to the domestic airport at 8.30am and we were all pretty happy with our experience.  As we de-planed we were all given a certificate that said ‘I did not climb Mt Everest but I touched it with my heart’.  Yes that will do and the closest I will get.  There was a bus waiting for us when we arrived and we were transferred back to the terminal.  The great thing was we didn’t have to go back through the terminal we were driven down the side of the building and just exited through a secure gate/fence where Padma was waiting for us with his infectious smile.  It was only 8.45am and we had been up for nearly 4 hours already!  The traffic wasn’t too bad heading back to Thamel and we were dropped at the Kathmandu Guest House where Intrepid have an office and we were able to pay for the flight using our credit cards with a 4% surcharge.  When we got to the office, the accountant person wasn’t there, and we were starving, so we told them that we would be back and went and got some breakfast at a hotel across from where we were staying.  The girls had eaten there a few weeks ago and said they had the best banana pancakes and that sounded great to the 6 of us who were famished. 

After breakfast we headed back to the Intrepid office, paid the 185USD for the flight and then we had free time.  The tour was officially over.  I said goodbye to Ruby, Aaron, Leena and Sam.  John and I arranged to meet for dinner at 7pm that night and I was to make contact with Kate to see if she was available for dinner.  Kate and I had touched base a few weeks ago once we found out that we were going to be in Nepal at the same time.  She was climbing Everest Base Camp with her dad raising money and awareness for breast cancer which took her mum a few years ago.  We didn’t think that we would get a chance to see each other but I randomly messaged her yesterday and she was in Kathmandu!!!  It would be great to see her.

So after my goodbyes I went to an awesome book shop called Pilgrims.  This place is amazing and you could spend hours in there.  They have thousands of books of all categories.  So I had a look in there as I was interested in finding some books on Buddhism to bring home with me.  The section was massive, so I decided to leave it for another day during the week when I wasn’t so tired and after checking out a few more shops I made my way back to the hotel at 12.30pm.  The power was off – surprise, surprise-NOT and there was a note left from Jess and now I had a room to myself for the next 4 nights and it was a great feeling.  I blogged till my computer went flat and then the power came back on and I was able to upload a post and start to load photos.  I heard back from Kate and we arranged to meet at the Kathmandu Guest House as a point of reference and then find somewhere to eat from there at 7.10pm after I had met John downstairs at 7pm.  Awesome and I love it when a plan comes together. 

It was nice to have a shower, don a skirt and head out for a nice dinner with friends.  It was great to see Kate again and John took us to a Mexican place where the guys went last night for a few drinks after dinner.  You get a free cocktail when you ordered a main meal-how could you go wrong with that and we sat there and chatted for a few hours, another 2 rounds of drinks and then headed home.  Kate was there for another week, so with a hug and a thanks, we arranged to meet up again for dinner before I left on Thursday. 

John still had another full day tomorrow before his flight left tomorrow night, so we decided to head out to Patan, as we heard that was worth a visit and arranged to meet for breakfast at 9am and then go from there.  I had a great day and thanks again to everyone on my trip for making my last tour a good one.       



No comments:

Post a Comment