Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Friday, November 9, 2012

RELAXATION IN OUR MOUNTAIN RETREAT


WEATHER: Glorious 25C

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: The stunning scenery

BUMMER OF THE DAY: Barking dogs

WORD OF THE DAY:  You picking up what I’m putting down

We are in the middle of Nepal.  In the countryside, surrounded by beautiful lush mountains, you can feel the serenity just oozing out of the picture postcard environment.  So why did we all have such a bad night’s sleep?  Barking dogs.  Yep.  Barking dogs.  There was one to start with at around 12.20am this morning and then the incessant barking continued till 4.30am, with a small lull (maybe it barked itself hoarse) with no such luck till it started again at 5am and barked continuously till 6.30am.  Jess and I even woke up together at one point and she said some-one shoot that dog and I went yep and then went back to sleep again.  We were all at a loss as to why they let the dog keep barking, but as we found out later it was an outside dog stirring up the house dogs and they did try and go out and stop the outside dog to no avail.  The manager said they aren’t normally that naughty, but in the dogs defence it was a full moon, so unless that had something to do with it.  But it was damn annoying that was for sure.  We were warned that we maybe woken up with the roosters or the other farm animals, but compared to the dogs that was nothing. 

Today was a day of rest for me.  The group was heading out on a hike that was going to last around 3 hours and I decided to just make the most of my tranquil time at the cottage.  Breakfast was at 8.30am and the tables had been moved yet again for us to enjoy the mountain views as we drank our hot tea and ate our pancakes with cheese and spreads.  We watched as the sun warmed up, and the clouds that were low in the valley burnt off and the mountains were again released into their full glory for the day.  Leena and I were the only two that stayed behind, so she set up in one of the deck chairs overlooking the valley to read her book and I sat at one of the tables, also looking down the valley to get some blog writing done.  I knew that I wouldn’t have internet here, so I had copied all the information I needed in Bhaktapur into my word documents so I had everything I need to get the blog finished, but the view just kept distracting me.  It was stunning and I know that our photos will not do the place any justice.  This makes me take a step back; appreciate where I am, how I got here.  We live in a beautiful world.  Everyone on the whole planet will have relationship issues, money issues, the blues, happiness, death, love, marriage, divorce-I am not the only one to go through it all and everything that has happened to me has got me here today and made me the person I am and you know what?  I am alive.  I am happy.  I am healthy.  I have friends who care-that has been and continues to show via email and Facebook.  So I have decided that today is the day I toughen up.  Toughen up Princess and I have dusted myself off and I am ready to tackle what lies ahead.  I have been really good by not gassing on to Jess too much and half of the group still doesn’t know that I only broke up with the love of my life 5 days ago.  They don’t care so why burden them?      

I had to move around 11.30am as the tables were getting moved again in preparation for our lunch.  I like that they do that.  It makes for a different setting for each meal and a different outlook and it shows that they care trying to shake it up for us.  They moved some of the tables, bought out the table umbrellas and then they also let out all the animals once the walkers had left.  To hear them all clucking, quacking, gobbling and e-oring and Jackson the kid bleating (he was only 7 days old) it was just nice to be here.  Leena and I had a chat for a while and it so nice to have a great group to finish with.  I know I keep banging on about it, but a bad group can make for a very unpleasant tour and I needed to be around some positive people. 

There are now power outlets in the rooms, but there is a power board in the bar where you can charge all your gadgets.  I decided it best to charge my phone and IPod while the guys were out to try and free some space for when they get back.  Don’t want to come across as a charge hog after all.  I also discovered last night that my NCELL sim card gives me access to the internet for free!  As long as there is phone range I can be hopping into Facebook as much as I want.  This sim card has worked out to be probably the best value for money on my whole Odyssey.  From making phone calls to internet coverage but in saying that I have been sending Shelly text messages and she hasn’t been getting them but Kenya has been.  So I’m not sure how reliable the text messaging side of the sim is.  But internet!  WOO HOO, in the middle of the country, I am in HEAVEN.

The group got back at 11.30am and they said the walk was good but hot.  I sometimes feel bad when I don’t join these walks but if you don’t enjoy doing them, why would I put myself through that?  I am past the point of what people think these days anyway and I enjoyed my relaxing morning with Lenna and the animals so it is a win win for me.  Lunch was served at 1.30pm and then we had the afternoon free till 4pm when we were going for a walk to visit a small school that Intrepid supports for deaf and dumb children in the village.  It was a 20 minute walk to the school and some of the guys had bought some pens and notebooks to leave.  As the national festival had only finished a few days ago, some of the children hadn’t returned yet, so there were only 5 kids to see when we got there.  As we walked the stairs to get to their buildings, which were located on a hill just behind the primary and secondary school, you could see 2 eager little faces waving to us.  How cute.  We were talking on the walk on how you would communicate with a deaf and dumb children, but once we met these little guys, they were full of life and we all just played with them, drew pictures and I even tried some of my sign language letters that I learnt when I was in primary school.  The kids smiled, but I am not sure if they could spell, so it they may not have understood anyway.  Well I tried.  My size and Lenna’s braces were of great interest to them as well as the oldest settling in with John as they used a notebook to communicate.  We were there for around 45 minutes when we had to go.  They were very good about our departure, but I wonder what the fallout is like after we leave.  We gee them up, it’s all excitement plus as we all chase, smile, tickle and hug them all, but how do they feel after we are gone?  I felt a little bad as one little guy was left standing waving till we were out of sight and hope that this is a positive influence on them rather than making things worse after a visit.       

So walking back to Famous Farm and we got another stunning sunset.  Like Africa, Nepal really knows how to finish a day off and what a wonderful relaxing day it was.  A week since the breakup and it feels like a distant memory already.  The world keeps turning it really is true that life goes on.  I am in a good place and enjoying the moments of this amazing ride I am travelling on.  I am an ordinary person living an extra ordinary life.  What could I possibly complain about?



No comments:

Post a Comment