Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

TRAVEL TO THE HILLTOP TOWN OF BANDIPUR


WEATHER: Hot and blue skies 25C

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: A late departure from Pokhara

BUMMER OF THE DAY: Can’t think of a single thing

WORD OF THE DAY: What a view

DISTANCE TRAVELLED: 80KM

Jess and I were up at 7am this morning.  The one morning we could have a sleep in and our body clocks would have no part of it.  We weren’t meeting some of the others till 9am, so it gave us a chance to pack our bags and watch some TV.  I have still been receiving lovely messages via Facebook, they really are just too kind and it gives me a new lease of life every time I get one and they are coming from people that I would not expect.  I even got a Facebook message from Shelly Belly which is a BIG deal as she is never on Facebook.  EVER, so that was a great start to my day.  We weren’t leaving till 1.30pm today but we had to be out of our rooms by 12 noon.  So the plan was to go and grab some breakfast, walk around town, come back to the hotel at noon, put our bags outside and then head back into town for lunch and then back to the hotel again at 1.30pm for our departure.  So at 9am Kalps, Lenna, Jess, John and I made our way to one of the café’s that overlooked the Fewa Lake and to eat with a view.  It was a magic spot, to see the mountains, looking like they were rising out of the lake on both sides.  I wonder what people are doing back home today as I look out over this view? 

From here we walked back into the main section of the town and made sure there was nothing else that I wanted to buy and I am happy to report I was well and truly shopped out here.  I did buy some small purses from a Woman’s Co-Op, where the women of the region are shown how to weave and then their stuff is sold in the shop.  It is great quality stuff and Jess and Ruby went to town in here and with all the proceeds going to a great cause it is a win win situation.  It is nearly guilt free shipping right!  I would have loved to have bought some bags, but do I need them?  The answer is no.  So I held some self-restraint and didn’t get one, which is another rarity for me.  With my future in limbo, I need to just be picky on the stuff that I am accumulating, as it isn’t just the job of getting it back to Australia, but then moving it again to Africa.  I have enough stuff already without having to add to it.  I have been speaking to John the last couple of days about getting quotes for buying a shipping container and then paying for storage, trying to reduce the monthly cost of what I currently have.  This would be the alternative to what I currently doing or going through it all at Christmas and tossing and giving away all my belongings.  I am really not sure what to do about the whole situation.  At the end of the day, if I have no intention of coming back to Australia, it is just dead money paying for my stuff to sit there, but there are a few things that I don’t want to get rid of just yet, mostly my mums furniture, but after having this conversation with Christine in LA in June, they are just belongings and there is no point holding onto them if they aren’t going to be used.  I’ll see what prices John comes back with as he has emailed work to get some costs.        

The street is always a hive of activity and the shops were just starting to fully open around 10.20am.  I bought some stickers for my diary and computer, some paintings and while we were waling I saw Harry having a puff on a smoke on his balcony and he said hi Bernie (remembering my name) and asked how the tattoo was going.  Which by the way was cracking along.  Only a little bit of redness and a tiny bit tender, but all in all it was perfect.  I woke up this morning looking at it and it just bought a smile to my face.  I am going to have to think of something to tell my God-daughters (they are 7 and 5) on what it means and also think of an explanation on what I am going to do with the Zeme tattoo.  As I know for a fact they will ask.  Shelly has told them that Zeme and I have broken up so I am sure they will have a bevy of questions for me that only children can ask in their non-judgmental non-corrupted way of thinking and for the unconditional love that they give me always.  Maybe I am going to be one of those Godmothers/Aunties that roam the globe forever, where they will always receive postcards and gifts from all over the world.  The one unconventional person that they will hopefully think is cool even when I am 70 and still living in Africa and coming home once a year for a visit.  Even though the questions will be hard to answer, it is so refreshing to see their outlook and thoughts on life.  They are smart girls and I sometimes get a little sad when I am travelling that I am missing out on them growing up.  I mean Zoe will be 8 next year and Tess 6.  I can still remember clear as day when I had them both in my arms 30 minutes after them being born.  They are my family and I love them and miss then EVERY SINGLE day. 

So we headed back to the hotel at 12 noon, put our bags outside our doors for collection and then headed back into town for lunch.  I am not sure if I am getting a little blasé, but I also left my small backpack that had my laptop in there, some jewelry and other bits and bobs.  I figured if the bags were getting collected, they would be looked after somewhere right.  Everyone else seemed to be carrying all their stuff with them, which I couldn’t be bothered which also has something to do with the fact that my small backpack weighs a ton with my prayer wheel in there and my Buddha head wooden statue and all my other crap.  I am the same in the hotel rooms.  I don’t lock anything up, all my stuff is always strewn across the room where as Jess and others have all their stuff closed and under lock and key.  I mean I don’t leave money around, or jewelry out in the open, but surely the staff value their jobs too much to steal things from guests?  Well I am hoping and **touchwood** I have been lucky so far in my 20 months and that will continue for my last 10 days.

We were all back a little early, so with our bags on the roof, everyone accounted for, we piled into our ‘luxury’ van for the 2.5 hour drive to Bandipur.  This was by far the best vehicle we have had so far and I think the transport will be the one thing I will pop on my feedback form.  The first few vans were very ordinary which normally isn’t a drama for me, and if that is the only form of transport, then you just need to suck it up.  But for long journeys of 4-6 hours and there are other better quality vans, you need to have better vehicles than we had.  It’s not a biggie but I think some constructive criticism is hopefully well received.  We are heading back the way we came for around 2 hours before turning off the main highway and start our final climb to Bandipur.  As we left the city the clear view we had a few days ago was now covered in clouds and just made you think just how lucky we were to get photos on a rare, clear day of the Annapurna Mountains.  It was still an incredible view non-the-less.

It has been a week today that we have been on tour and it has just flown by.  The sign of a great tour I say.  To think I will be home in less than 2 weeks gives me butterflies in my stomach and I just can’t wait to be surrounded by friends and to share in the festive season this year and to also be home for my birthday is also a massive PLUS.  Last year I was in the Galapagos with my GREAT mate Aimes for my birthday and for Christmas Day we were in Bolivia touring the salt flats of Uyuni.  To think that on the 29th of this month (November) was when I joined my South American tour that was going to take me through 11 countries on a trip that would take in 160 days around the continent.  Crazy times as that only seems like months ago, and I guess in my defence that tour finished in April, so that could explain why it still seems so fresh.

We are passing rice fields that are currently getting harvested.  Does anyone know how much work goes into obtaining a single grain of rice?  Well let me tell you and once you know, like the tea process, when you next have a meal that contains rice, think of all the work that has gone into getting that piece of grain on your plate.  So it's harvest time and all the rice planted three months ago is ready to rock and roll. Rice planting is tough business, a long and drawn out process. It is no wonder rice is so holy and never a kernel wasted. After seeing how it's done, you would be picking it off the tabletop.  First, seedlings are grown in small patches, dense and brilliantly green. They are grown prior to harvest and ready for replanting. As soon as the previous paddy is harvested, the men arrive with their ox. Still using the same ancient technology, the men wade behind the ox and plow in knee deep mud that houses scores of leeches. First they cut the earth with a large knife, and then they change to a large comb that evens the earth out leaving behind a fine silt. The job is back-breaking.  Once the paddy is ready, the baby rice plants are removed and transferred in bundles by the women.  Spread across the width of the paddy, each grasps a bundle of seedling and moving backward, replant them about three inches apart till the entire field is covered. Moving from paddy to paddy, they work in teams, their hands flying to place each blade of rice into the soft silt.  Those single blades of rice have now become large green bundles and all of Nepal is awash in color.  Rice harvesting involves bending, cutting and grabbing, bend, cut and grab. Over and over. Moving in rows again across the field, the women sliced effortlessly through the rice stalks.  The women work, the boy runs around and collects the large bundles and takes them to a central area.  There, plastic tarps are spread out and the stalks are beaten over a rock to shake the rice loose.  Once the grains have been shook loose 40kg bags of rice are filled and transported to homes and warehouses the usual rural way. On their backs. It's called a dokko and it is a large jute strap that wraps around the forehead to the load on your back.  In typical third-world fashion, nothing goes to waste in a process that has been refined over thousands of years.  After bagging the rice, the stalks are sifted to draw out further grains and separate rocks and other inedible matter.  Then the stalks are laid out in the sun to dry. Once they are completely dry, they are bundled and stored, feed for the animals for the next season.  So next time you eat a plate of rice, think of all the work that has gone into those grains and the labor of work by which the food was made.  Remember the hardship of producers and be thankful to them.

It is interesting what you see on drive days.  The most common occurrence is men taking a leak by the side of the road.  This happens in a lot of countries; this is not just a Nepali thing and is really just part of the scenery now.  But today I saw a small child with his bum to the road as he took a poo.  I saw another small child, around 4 years old, sitting by some hot ashes (still smoking) dipping a chip packet in the hot embers.  People are always working hard, seeing people carrying sand and ricks on baskets on their backs that are being supported by a piece of material around their foreheads, near misses with traffic and animals and I also saw an older woman fall over just before turning off the highway.  This is the world we pass each day and each day is a new day that brings new things to see and how things like that would never happen back in Australia but is the ‘norm’ in a country like Nepal and to remind  you just how lucky we are.  Really lucky.            

After turning off the main highway we had a 30 minute drive up the side of a mountain offering us great views again of the Himalaya’s.  I will NEVER get tired of seeing these magnificent mountains, EVER.  We arrived into Bandipur at 3.50pm.  There literally is only one main street that is not open to traffic, so we got out of the van, our bags followed with porters from the hotel, and we walked the 5 minutes through the main street to where were would be staying for the next 3 nights.  There were 6 of the group that were rafting the Seti River, so they were only staying 2 nights here as they camp for a night on the river and there were 4 of us that had decided to not raft, have an extra night here and then follow with our bags on the 3rd day to pick up the rafters and then head to Chitwan National Park.  I was always dubious of the rafting from the moment I made my booking on the tour, but I now had a good reason, my arm has still not 100% healed from falling off my bike nearly 5 weeks ago and I know that if I fell out, I am not sure I would be able to pull myself in let alone if someone else fell in helping them.  So that excuse sounds so much better than I am not a water/small boat person and sounding like a chicken.  Yes siree, it is because of the arm people, the arm.  The place where we were staying is a restored village mansion that is over 120 years old.  It was an amazing building.  There were rooms and nooks and cranny’s, chairs and tables through the whole place and our room was located on the third floor that took up the whole length of the building, so one side we had wooden shutters that opened up on the main square and then on the other side there were wooden doors that opened up to a small balcony and a small view of the Himalaya’s.  We were in a triple share here, but the room was big enough with Jess and I at one end and Mari-Anne down the other end with a sitting area in between.  All the doorways are smaller than the average person, so you need to make sure you have your wits about you as you enter and exit rooms, careful to not knock your head on either delivery.  Poor Lenna is so much taller than all of us and she looked like a giant in some of the photos they took with her and the doorways.  It was hilarious; it looked like she had just stepped into Hobitland.  There are no TV’s here and an internet connection that came and went as much as the power loss here.  We were recommended to always have our torches with us, as the power supply here went all the time and most times without warning.  Something I will have to get used to with Africa.     

So after a welcome drink on the terrace that has a 180 degree view of the Himalaya’s we dropped our things off at the room, freshened up and then met back downstairs for a walk to watch a sunset over the mountain ranges.  We have seen them at sunrise, during the day cloud free so it only made sense to see them in the last of their glory as a sun set for another day.  I have taken a lot of photos of these mountains and I was about to take a whole lot more.  I don’t care how many photos I take of these mountains, as they are a special set, they always look different and something that you will never see anywhere else in the world.  It is a special experience, well for me anyway.  Imagine how people feel after they have climbed these babies!!!!  I’m so proud of those people that have climbed these mountains and I don’t even know any of them, oh except Jess, and I have a friend currently climbing Everest base Camp and hope that Kate is doing fine on the mountain with her dad.  They are raising money for Breast cancer that took her mum and also her Aunty.  How brave. 

So we walked for 20 minutes towards an outlook where we would get a better view of the sunset.  On our way we passed homes that were preparing dinner for the evening, kids playing, chickens clucking and people going about their life, really not giving us, a bunch of white people walking through the mix.  There were 2 cute girls eating something as I passed them and they offered me a handful of what they were eating.  It was puffed rice mixed with herbs and chickpeas and without thinking I let them pour me some in my hand and I didn’t want them to feel bad that I didn’t want any, so I popped some in my mouth, thanked them, had a little bit more and then threw the rest in the bushes when I was out of sight of the girls.  I then thought nothing else of it and little did I know what repercussions I would have just from the small amount that I consumed 8 hours later.  Crossing a soccer field we made it to the view point just in time to get some photos before we lost light.  The mountain ranges that were snowy white when we arrived were not a tinge of pink and reds as the sunset hit their peaks.  The weather had also gone a little cooler here, but it was amazing to get some pictures and then just stand there and appreciate the MAGNIFICENT view till the light faded and it was time to walk the 20 minutes back to the town. 

Dinner was included tonight of Dhal Baht at 7pm.  I can’t tell you enough just how much I am over curries.  But I ate with no complaint as it does taste delicious, but it will not be my first choice of ordering for the rest of the trip.  We ate outside and it was quite cold, so pretty much after dinner and with nothing else to do in the town after dark, we all retired to our rooms.  I attempted to get another blog finished and then read my Kindle.  Jess watched a movie and we switched the lights off just after 10pm.  I had a gurgly stomach when I went to go to sleep, but I just put it down to the curry I had eaten for dinner not even suspecting that things were about to get a hell of a lot worse in the coming hours.          


No comments:

Post a Comment