Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

SPEW AND SQUIRTS IN BANDIPUR


WEATHER: No idea-didn’t leave my room all day

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: I’m alive

BUMMER OF THE DAY: I HATE being sick

WORD OF THE DAY: Food poisoning

The title a little too much information?  Tough.  I need to write about the sick times as well as the happy and sad times and today was a sick time.  There was no doubt about that.  So I went to bed at 10pm last night feeling fine.  I had a gurgly stomach, but that happens now and then so I wasn’t worried.  I woke in a sweat at 1am I had that terrible feeling I needed to go to the toilet, and in a hurry, everyone has had that feeling in their life and know what a horrible feeling that is.  For the next 6 hours I was back and forth between bed and the bathroom and I also had a spew twice up till 7am and the guys woke.  I just felt terrible and the first thing I thought of was that it was something I ate, literally, I had food poisoning.  The hole in the story is that we all ate the same thing last night as it was a set dinner and after Jess returned back after breakfast, no one else was sick.  I just didn’t know what I had eaten that everyone else didn’t.  Jess ordered some dry toast for me, which I ate and kept down, I took some Imodium’s to help with the diarrhea and washed it all down with some electrolytes.

The guys were off for a 6 hour hike today, which I was never going to be going on anyway, but I had hoped to have a productive blog day, which just wasn’t going to happen today.  So Jess left at 9am and I decided to have a shower and then I got a visit from Leena, who also decided not to trek today and lucky for me she has just finished 7 years of ‘doctor-ing’ (sorry Lenna-not sure what you actually specialized is) but I got some more pills from her, one to settle my stomach and another to help with nausea and prescribed sleep by my personal doctor.  So with that advice, I heeded and I slept till 3pm when Jess and the gang returned.  I was still in sickland and Jess went out and bought me some lemonade and a packet of salted chips to get me through the afternoon.  It was comforting to hear the everyday noises out the window.  Children playing and laughing, the temple bells tolling, men talking, women shouting-a reminder that life continues, even when you are feeling sick as a dog.  I was lucky I had the internet on my phone and I would check that throughout the day, which made me feel better that I was still able to keep an eye on the world from my sick bed and share my sickness news with them all.   

The gang went for an early dinner, which I declined-and with a visit from Satya to check up on me, we ordered some plain rice at 7pm, which I had a few mouthfuls of.  When Jess got back from dinner she said that Kalps saw me eat something from some kids yesterday and then the penny dropped-THAT is what made me sick.  I ate that puffed rice from the kiddies yesterday.  The way they make that stuff is that they soak the rice to the point of it nearly sprouting and then they dry it, coat it in herbs and then eat it.  So besides the Nepali water (which is not drinkable here at all-it is a browny colour out of the taps), I also had the spices to contend with and then the children’s hands which were probably covered in little bacteria.  Dang it-that had to be it!  What an idiot I am and I should, actually I DO know better, but those cute little faces just sucked me in and this was the thanks I get for trying to be nice.  SUCKER.  So I knew it was something that I had eaten and that was it.  I had a case of food poisoning and it was a terrible 16 hours.

So I was in bed just after 10pm and I hadn’t chucked since this morning, but I still had diarrhea, but the tummy cramps had also gone, so I was hoping that I was on the mend and prating for a good night’s sleep to wake up brand new in the morning.  Being sick sucks. 


      

No comments:

Post a Comment