Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Flight time v's Destination - the STATS!!!

I have just been looking through my flight itinerary and it is pretty impressive, even if I say so myself.  But to actually sit down and look at some of the stats it really starts to sink in that there is a downside to travel - and something that just cannot be avoided.  Okay it is all great to travel and it is a life experience that you just won't get anywhere else...

BUT

People forget the 'non' fun part and that is the part of AIR TRAVEL. Airports, checkin, security, the cost of airport food, customs, immigration, airport staff ( who NEVER seem to enjoy their job ) and the list goes on.  I would love to complain about airline food but I actually like the stuff so that is a positive in the airlines defence.

I will be travelling approximatley 74,543 miles as the crow flies, which is about 119,965 km!  To put that into perspective I am 35km just short of being about to travel around the world 3 times based on km travelled.  I did look at the moon stats but it is approximatley 420,000km to the moon, so I wouldn't even get halfway there - as impressive as that would have looked!

I will pass through and visit approximatley 45 airports and travel on 15 different airlines - some of which I haven't even heard of.  But in some regions it is the only way to get there.  That moto 'life is just too short' will come into play in these instances!!!!

Actual 'sitting in a plane' comes in at 151 hours - that figure doesn't seem so bad does it?  9060 minutes.......What would that work out to be?  That could be 18 days of 8 hour sleeps? Or to really look at it it is literally spending 6.29 full days sittting on a seat only just big enough to fit your frail elderly grandmother who is a size 6! 

I have added my flight itinerary on my home page - check it out - next time you think what a lucky devil I am remember it is is not all cocktails and foreign men - there is a down side to the travel bug but one unfortunatley that can not be avoided for any holiday maker.

Okay so the 'stats' start to not look so 'impressive' now.  There is alot of airport and airplane time and I think I will push to the back of my mind! I'll keep thinking of the exotic cocktails and the foreign men thank-you very much!!!

3 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!! That is just AMAZING!!!!!So - you put my little "blogs" to shame.
    http://berylbarrett.travellerspoint.com
    WOW!!!! What an itinerary you have lined up. When I have more time I will look at it at length.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! you poor thing - my heart bleeds for you, 6.29 FULL days of travelling and you are away for how many?? POOR YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete