Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Saturday, May 12, 2012

REST, RELAXATION AND ……SUN

WEATHER: Overcast in the morning with a sunshine break for 4 hours 29C

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Getting some Caribbean rays

BUMMER OF THE DAY: I have a cough that I caught in Easter Island **cough cough cough**

WORD OF THE DAY:  CARIBBEAN

So when I pulled back the curtains this morning the skies were a little cloudy, but I could see patches of blue poking through.  My weather app had a sun with some showers, so I am hoping I can catch some rays today.  I am loving my wakeup time.  Breakfast is served till 10.30am, so I have set my alarm for 9am each morning so far and with the exception of a wakeup in the wee hours for a …well a wee, I am a little embarrassed to and totally content to report that I sleep till 9am each morning with the alarm waking me up.  Now this is what I call a holiday right?  I can even hear the waves from the ocean as I lie in bed and there are a lot of birds here, so you can hear them chirping each morning.  I generally don’t have a ‘stay a week on a beach’ kind of holiday.  It makes a nice change but I couldn’t have all my holidays like this.  Maybe because I am on my own as well, you tend to not to go out as much, but I’m okay with that for a short while.  I see no issue spending time in one’s own company, but not for too long.  There’s no way I could have done this whole Odyssey just backpacking and doing my own thing.  I am sure I would have saved a crap load of money, but I am just not that type of traveler. 

Breakfast is an open style restaurant directly on the beach.  It is truly beautiful here.  When the sun comes out and hits the ocean, the colour of the water is a stunning aqua and turquoise mixed with the crystal white beaches it certainly makes for a spectacular view.  There are some tiny small birds that come to land on the chairs just waiting to attack the crumbs on your pate the second you leave the table for a refill of the buffet breakfast.  The eggs are cooked to order and when I came back to the table, there was a cheeky bird having a peck at one of my eggs. Uggggghhhhhhhhh I hear you say, but they really are cute.  Lucky there is no bird flu concerns here.  It is funny that I am down at breakfast generally between 9.45 and 10.00am and there are people pulling up sun chairs on the beach, getting umbrellas from the activities desk and look like they have been up for hours and I have just gotten out of bed ready to start my day.   

I headed to the tour desk after breakfast to book in the Mt Gay Rum tour for tomorrow.  There is also a Malibu tour, but it’s not called Malibu anymore it’s called Cockspur and from reading up in it, it is just a day at the beach drinking all kinds of drinks made from Cockspur rum.  So I decided to just stick with the classic and historical rum and I upgraded from the normal tour to the lunch tour that runs only on Wednesdays and Saturdays.  They also pick you up from the hotel with this option which was perfect for me.  I stopped in at the resort store and bought some postcards and stamps and I will get those wrote on in the next few days.  I still have my Easter Island postcards that I have to send, even after I had them stamped and all.  The hotel on EI wouldn’t take the cards and after I had passed immigration in Santiago there was no post box to drop them in so I have bought an extra 2 stamps for them and will post them from here.  They better make it with a double postage now paid on them. 

After a little work on the Ethiopian blog, the sun came out in full force at 1.30pm.  So I whipped on my bathing suit, packed my book, my IPod and I also remembered to apply sunscreen to my nose on my way out the door.  THE SUN WAS OUT….Get your butts out there…….  I decided to set up beside the pool.  I can still see the ocean from there, but the beach was packed and I really just wanted to catch some rays for a few hours.  I also remembered to grab my free cocktail voucher I was given when I checked in, so with my tropical rum punch cocktail in my hand, my book and my IPod plugged in, I settled in on my sun chair for the next 2 hours.  The sun felt so good and I was so glad that I put cream on my nose as I could feel my skin getting a little colour.  The sun passed behind the building at 4pm and I figured I had got enough rays for one day.  When I got back to the room and looked into a mirror, I was certainly right I was a little red; um I mean brown and was glad I didn’t get any more sun.  And here I was poking fun only yesterday at the red lobsters walking around.  I am lucky I still have some of my Colombian tan, so I wasn’t starting from scratch, I would hate to think how red I would be if I didn’t and who’s the sucker now?

I heard from Z about his application and he needed one more form, so he has another appointment made for Monday with the Australian Consulate.  I decided to call him as it was so good to hear from him yesterday and we had a great chinwag for 10 minutes.  It is not that cheap to make the calls, so I will take what I can get and it is the best $$ spent to hear his voice.  Only 75 days to go till his arrival in Brisbane, all going to plan, and I can’t wait to introduce him to everyone.      

With so much time on my hands and after speaking to Z, I have decided once I have finished my trip in Scotland with Shaz that I will go straight to Ethiopia and Zeme after that trip.  I was going to stay another 2 weeks in Europe, but by that time I am sure I will just be ready to get back to him and starting my new life.  I can always go back to Europe with Zeme as we both are going to need visas anyway for the countries I was looking at.  I was texting Shellbell tonight and she mentioned that George Michael was coming to Brisbane and playing on my birthday in November!!!!  I was looking at coming home for Christmas (with Z) and had picked the 29th November to leave Addis.  Well for George Michael I could bring that day forward by 3 days to make the concert.  Why not and I grew up with his music, it would be AWESOME!!!  I have to leave Ethiopia around that time anyway based on visa regulations, so it all works in perfectly.  I told Shelly if she can get tickets for me and Z, then lock it in!  It feels good to have a plan for the rest of the year all set out.  As mentioned before I have a further plan that I still need to run past Z, but I am thinking to use my first 3 months to just adjust, set up home, have fairly regular language courses (like school) and just adjust to the new environment.  My visa will expire, so we will leave just in my 3 month deadline and then head back to OZ for Christmas, renew my visa and then decide what I will do with all my stuff in storage.  We will then need to work to either sell off my stuff that I have in storage or decide to ship it all to Ethiopia, depending on the cost, and then donate a lot of my stuff.  Maybe keep some stuff in Oz, like mums things and things I don't want to toss or take and just reduce the size of the container so it isn't costing me as much.  I am lucky I don’t have to rush to get a job but I will start looking in my first 3 months that I will be a lady of leisure.  A great way to ease myself getting back to the work force and I am happy with that decision that I won’t be working till 2013!!!!    

I had room service for dinner again tonight.  I couldn’t be bothered turning up to the restaurant on my own with all the lovey couples having romantic dinners.  It makes it uncomfortable for them and uncomfortable for me.  They make a killer room service chicken Caesar salad that I get bacon and onion added to, so I am happy to have them run around after me anyways.  I also have been mixing my own rum and passionfruit cocktails in the room.  There is an ice tray so plenty of ice and I have to say, not being a rim drinker I am enjoying my own made cocktails each night.  Why not!!!

So my second day in paradise wasn’t so bad. At least the sun came out to play in the afternoon and my Ethiopian blog is coming along just nicely.             


No comments:

Post a Comment