Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Monday, May 14, 2012

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO MY MUM IN HEAVEN


It’s been 4 years and still seems like last week when the police came to my work place to tell me that my mum had passed away.  It was my birthday, the 27th of November, 2008.

My Mum was an amazing woman. 
She was a character.  Once she put her mind to something she was determined and resolute.  This is what made her a great sports woman, a committed work college and my greatest council in life.  People have told me Mum always saw me as her greatest achievement and like a lioness would have protected me to the death.  She was very proud of me and my achievements.

My mum was an amazing woman.
She worked hard all her life to make sure I had every opportunity, from private schooling to overseas representative sporting duties.  I never missed out on anything.  To me Mum is Darwin and Darwin is Mum. Even though Newcastle has always been home, she could never, after much talk ever leave the Territory.  My fondest memories include hearing Elton John, Barbara Streisand and Billy Joel always playing at home as a child.  Mum had infinity for all things gold and sparkly. She would scrimp and save to get that dazzling bauble from Angus and Coote and I am sure she was their best customer.  I can clearly blame my own love of jewelry squarely on her shoulders to which I am sure she is proud of.

You can shed tears that she is gone
Or you can smile because she has lived. 
You can close your eyes and pray that she’ll come back
Or you can open your eyes and see all that she’s left. 

Lastly I remember her love of walking. Whether it be walking into town to work or around the Nightcliff waterfront, she would be pounding the pavement, head down bum up listening to those same songs I recorded for her 10 years previously.  .....and yes that would still be Elton, Babs and Billy. Her taste in music never wavered.

You can remember her and only that she’s gone
Or you can cherish her memory and let it live on

I may not have spoken to my mum every day or every week, but I always knew she would be there and I could pick up that phone and be able to hear her voice.  She will always be my mum.  I take comfort that she and Grand-dad are now together in Heaven and she will never be alone.  I miss you and I will always love you with all my heart.

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane
I’d walk right up to heaven and bring you home again
No farewell words were spoken no time to say goodbye 
You were gone before I knew it, and only God knows why. 
My heart still aches in sadness and secret tears still flow, 
What it meant to lose you, no one will ever know

There is not a day that I don’t think about you and everything that you did for me.  Even now, you have given me this amazing opportunity to travel the world for the last 13.5 months.  I have met my soul mate in Africa.  I have an exciting new life ahead of me and none of this would have ever been achieved without you.  Like in life and in death you have continued to look after me and for this I am forever grateful.  I just hope that I am doing you proud and will continue to live each day to its full in memory of you and make the most of any opportunity that comes my way.  For you.

Happy Mother’s Day to my Mum in Heaven.




No comments:

Post a Comment