Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 3, 2012

MY FIRST EASTER ISLAND SUNSET

WEATHER: Perfecto 24C

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Getting some un-interrupted sleep

BUMMER OF THE DAY: Woke at 4pm-but it was a day of recovery

WORD OF THE DAY: Easter

After reading my book after checking into the room I headed to breakfast at 8.30am.  It was still raining and overcast, so a perfect day to recover and I just hoped the weather would fine up over the next few days so I can get some good photos.  Because I got in so early this morning I have 4 full days here, so after checking the hotel tours I am pretty much seeing everything there is to see on the 2 full day tours that I am doing.  You can scuba and horse-back ride here as well, neither which appeal to me so I feel okay that I am using today for nothing and my last day will also be free.  I might speak to the guide tomorrow to see if he can recommend something for me so I can use that last day productively somehow. 

I got back to the room just after 10am.  I took my book with me and read over a leisurely breakfast and then the jetlag hit me.  I planned to sleep for a few hours and maybe go for a walk into the town for a looksee and then watch the sunset over the Pacific Ocean.  Well when I woke at 4pm I really wasn’t surprised, I was so tired.  I was getting a little peckish after skipping lunch I headed to the restaurant at 5pm for an early dinner.  The restaurant here is in a great location overlooking the ocean with big picture windows.  I had forgotten my camera, so after dinner at 6pm I raced back to my room to get my camera and I headed back.  There is a single road across from the hotel and then it just drops into the ocean, so I crossed the road and found a rock to sit on where I sat for the next hour and watched the sun play its beautiful colours with the clouds.  It was a little too cloudy to see the actual sun go down, but sometimes cloudy sunsets make for some great picture taking and I took a wad of the transforming sky as the sun went down.

So that was my first day on the island.  Very uneventful, but I am now well rested for a busy 3 days ahead.  It is hard to believe that I am on one of the most remote islands in the world and I can’t wait to hear and see more of the history of this amazing island over the next few days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment