Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

ITS TIME TO LEAVE BUENOS AIRES

WEATHER: Hot and 35C

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Finally getting credit on my UK sim card

BUMMER OF THE DAY: Watching the movie J Edgar – boring **snore snore**

WORD OF THE DAY:  Gracias – thank-you

It’s our last day in Buenos Aires.  As much as it is a beautiful city and we have enjoyed our time here, we are now well rested and ready to get back on the move again.  It will also be able good to save some money again as this city has just drained the moula out of us.  The main outgoing expense was the food as we really didn’t buy too much stuff.  A new bag, wallet, watch, mini pillows for the tents and my leather diary cover were the big ticket items over the 10 days.  I didn’t go over budget, but pretty much spent it to the penny here. 

I interneted for the last time down in the common room.  We had access to free Wi-Fi in our room on the 10th floor till last night when the external connection Speedywifi must have cottoned on that there was excess usage for the last 5 days and finally password protected the network.  Sneaky devils.  Well it was good while it lasted and we leave tomorrow, so no big deal……  There was a message from Z and he mentioned that the Brazil Consulate was after some additional information. Ummmm you leave in 2 weeks, this is starting to cut it a little fine now with a Venezuela visa to also obtain, I am starting to feel sick to my stomach that we may be running out of time for it to be issued.  I feel SICK.  So Kate and I left the hotel and I placed a call to Z to get the full story and with another appointment tomorrow at the Embassy in Addis, hopefully that thing can be finally issued.  Zeme is going to message me once he has been and seen them.  Bloody hell, I can’t believe I am still worrying about this damn Brazil visa, even after mine finally got done!  The saga continues……

The other piece of good news was that I finally got some credit back onto my UK sim card.  Paps back in London had tried all avenues, from online, to phoning Vodafone to finally finding some sort of machine that he could do it through, all in the process of moving house.  So I THANKYOU Paps for going the extra mile so that I got some credit on my phone. This has really been a drama for me topping up this sim, when I head back in August I will look at another carrier that will let me top up with an international credit card.  Besides the Brazil visa this has been the other biggest thorn in my side.  I guess I can’t complain if these are the only issued I have on my trip, but they are still annoying. 

The common room seemed busier today and Mark said there were another 2 Tucan tours starting tomorrow.  They are both doing the same itinerary and shadowing/travelling together from BA to Rio over the next 14 days.  We apparently will seem them in Brazil in Parati, where a lot of the trucks converge for a few days before the final run into Rio and Carnival.  Its funny looking at other groups and sussing them all out.  Like Liz said, everything is booked on dates and one of us could have easily been on these tours instead.  Our group still looks pretty cool. 

With the afternoon free as a bird, Kate and I decided to catch yet another movie to wile away our last day.  There was a new batch of movies that had been released so we decided to get some culture and saw J Edgar.  After all it had Leonardo de Caprio in it, how bad could it be.  Well it was a little snoozy, but he certainly accomplished a lot and set up the FBI amongst other things over his 40+ years of service.  I actually though he had been one of the Presidents of the United States, so that movie if nothing else cleared that up for me.  The positive side was I got my last bucket of proper popcorn for goodness knows how long and I enjoyed every last salty morsel.  Back home I would just drive to the movies to purchase popcorn and then drive straight back home.  I LOVE it, and only the salted variety. 

We lost another one of the group today as Anna heads back to the UK making us a group of 16 now.  It will be difficult once we get to Rio having a group of 24 after having 12-18 for the last 3 months.  The good thing is it isn’t a big deal for me to be sharing my seats as I am sharing with Zeme, the others will have to decide who they will share with or try and wangle a seat to themselves.  Mark is thinking of having open seating every day, which I am not a big fan of, unless I don’t get a window on the first day, and then I will become a big fan!!!

So that is how we spent our last day in Buenos Aires.  I’m on the final count down now to when (and if) Zeme gets here and I just cannot contain my excitement.  14 days and counting.  Good-bye BA, you were awesome and we thoroughly enjoyed our time here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment