Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 14, 2011

HOUSE KEEPING DAY TODAY


WEATHER: Cool, overcast and 18C
HIGHTLIGHT OF THE DAY: Seeing Priscilla at the Palace Theatre - AWESOME
BUMMER OF THE DAY: No sightseeing done today
BUYS OF THE DAY: The Priscilla ticket by far for 25GBP and my washing for 7.60GBP
WORD OF THE DAY: Thank-god my visas are finally done…

Well it’s my second last day in London, so I had some housekeeping stuff I needed to get done.  I was Facebooking with an old friend from high school who arrived into London this morning, so we were trying to get together at some stage, but we ended up missing each other which was a bit of a shame.  Sorry Rob, we gave it a shot!  I also had been in touch with George and Aimes via text messages; they arrived into London last night, and were my hot dates for the theatre tonight. 

I had a bit of a lie in till 9.30am and then walked to ‘my’ local street where I proceeded to send another parcel home.  They must be getting heavier, as this one cost me 56GBP! There were a few magnets in there, so I guess they are pretty weighty.  I then dropped off my washing to get done, with a collection for this afternoon.  You seriously must be crazy if you think that paying the 7.60GBP is not worth paying to have someone do it all for you.  This was the laundry I used when I first came to London in April and I did it myself, not knowing you could get some-one to do it for you, and I know the washing machine is 4.30GBP and then the drier is 1GBP for 5 minutes, plus you have the cost of the powder, so I am not sure when you add it all up what their margin is on the wash, but who am I to argue!

At this point I had to be at the Rwanda Consulate at 12 noon and it was 10.45am, so I decided I would get my hair cut now, rather than try and find a hairdresser over at Marylebone.  So there was a Guys and Dolls in ‘my’ street, so I popped in there to see if they could fit me straight away and she said sure!  It was like walking on the set of The Only Way is Essex, Fig, my hairdresser was super cool, and the way she talked was just like the chicks off that show.  She was the only one there holding the fort, as her sister was at her kids sports carnival and she didn’t think she would be that busy.  Well the phone wouldn’t stop ringing, and she was so apologetic about all the interruptions, which I really didn’t mind too much, but the clock was ticking.  I got out of there at 11.40am.  She has done an awesome job of my hair and again I survive a mullet cut, which is my worst nightmare getting my hair done while I am away. 

I wasn’t too panicked about the time, as I knew where to go, and I know the tube takes 14 minutes from Lambeth North to Marylebone and then it was just a 5 minute walk from the station to the consulate.  I LOVE the Tube!  It is an amazing transportation system.  I got to the Consulate at 12.05pm and they were just finishing off the visa for me which I only had to wait about 10 minutes and it was completed.  They have really done me a favor getting it done so quickly and they didn’t charge me any extra for the additional service either.  I thanked David again on my way out, and he came out of his little security office and shook my hand and told me to enjoy his country while I was there.  He was super sweet.  So now all my visas are done for this section of my trip, well the ones I have to get.  I still need visas for Kenya, Uganda and Zambia, but these can all be done and paid for through the boarders as we cross.  The next visa challenge will be in October, when I will NEED to get a Brazilian visa and a Venezuela visa, but I am not going to worry about that just now.

I hate to say lunch was at Kentucky Fried Chicken, and the UK version is just like home and to actually get gravy again, that was delicious, it really hit the spot for lunch.  I have to say I think KFC has to be my most favorite take away joint with Red Rooster a very close second. Nom nom nom….

I headed back to Oxford Street, had a few loose ends to tidy up and I also needed to get some US dollars for my local payments for both my Africa tours.  I have some cash already that I bought from home, and some travellers cheques, but I need to top up this kitty money.  I couldn’t think of a better way to do it, so I had to withdraw money from my AUD card, which came out in GBP and then I took it to the exchange place and got it changed to USD.  Not a great way to change money, a double exchange, but there was no other way I could do it, so I am glad I did change money at home, even if I have been carrying it with me for the last 3 months.

Back to my hotel by 4pm after collecting my washing, with a text message received that I would be meeting the gals at the theatre at 6pm to go and have some dinner before the show.  I was able to wear one of my new dresses, slap on some make-up and with my hair still not looking too bad from this morning’s cut, blow-dry and straighten, and I actually felt like a lady and not some daggy tourist walking the streets.  It was nice and probably the last time I will feel like that for a while.  I am leaving 90% of my makeup here in London.  I’m just taking some basics like mascara, one eye shadow pallet and some blush for some evening wear for when we hit some of the big towns.  But I don’t think I will be needing that on my first 2 weeks in Africa, so I will probably be able to leave that in my Nairobi Hotel as we return to the same one.  I’m starting to get the feeling I am leaving my crap all over the world.  Well maybe not all over the world but in 2 continents at least. 

It was great to see the girls.  George looked much better than the last time I saw here, she was super sick on the last night in Marrakech, and Aimes looked totally relaxed.  We went and had some Chinese in China Town and then back to the Palace Theatre for the show.  Man I have to say Priscilla was FLIPPIN AWESOME!!!!  I don’t know why I don’t go to these shows more often when I am home, as the handful I have been to I have totally enjoyed.  Hairspray was another great show that I saw on Oasis of the Seas last year.  Anyway Priscilla was hilarious, and I pretty much just laughed my way through the whole performance.  I was a big fan of the movie when it came out, I was working in a video shop when it got released and was able to play it in the shop when we weren’t that busy.  There was some Aussie slang that they used in the show, which we never use, but people think Aussies talk like that, just like they all think we drink Fosters, which I think made it that much more funnier.  I cannot express how awesome it was and if you get a chance to see it, anywhere in the world, then I suggest you do it, you won’t regret it.  It was pretty cool for the final medley the actor’s costumes were of Australian animals and fauna.  There were emu’s, gazelles, frilled neck lizards, koalas, kangaroo’s, wattles and kangaroo paws (the plant).  It got me a little emotional that, that, was home down there on that stage.  It sounds silly, but with the high of the show and it being an Australian production, with Australians and Australian emblems, I was just a proud Australian in the audience.

So a final farewell was said to my Moroccan buddies.  But I will certainly be catching up with you guys again when I come home.  I hope you enjoy the next 2 days in London and safe journey to you home guys.  You girls ROCK!!!

So tomorrow is my last day in London.  I have to pack, get my stuff organized for storage and then I have another date tomorrow night for dinner, my United Airlines hostees David and Cheryl. Gee aren’t I a busy little bee all of a sudden.  Hell I may put some more make-up on tomorrow night and wear another new dress.  Look out a lady 2 nights in a row!!!  Well maybe my hair may not look as good after I sleep on it, but there is a hairdryer in the room, so I should be able to do something with my newly cut mop!

Goodnight London – and Priscilla – what a great show and I still have a smile on my dial……

No comments:

Post a Comment