Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 1, 2012

RECOVERY IN RIO AND GOOD-BYES TO AWESOME PEOPLE

WEATHER: Must have been hot but we didn’t leave the hotel all day

HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY: Making it in time for breakfast

BUMMER OF THE DAY: Having to airline pack for tomorrow

WORD OF THE DAY:  What a night

Well after getting to bed at 5.30am this morning I thought there would be no chance of us making breakfast before 10am, which was when it finished.  But Kate suggested we still set the alarm for 9am and just see how we feel.  Well we woke at 9am and we were tired but hungry, so we decided to head up to breakfast and then we were going to come straight back to the room and sleep the day away.  Great plan and it is now also that part of the trip where we start to say our goodbyes to people now leaving this section of the trip.  There are only 5 of us continuing on and 11 people leaving.  It has been difficult here the last few days to be able to see people and say hi, as we are all out and about at different times, breakfasting at different times, going out to dinner etc…. so it is a shame that it finishes like this, but that does happen in all the cities we have had people start and finish in and it is just par for the course I guess.  There is Facebook after all.  Seeing pail and Liz at breakfast we exchanged some photos using my laptop and they also had borrowed 50RS the other day, so in turn asked instead of getting it back in Rials if I could use it in GBP to top up my UK sim card for the last time.  Paul and Liz are leaving tomorrow and boy am I going to miss them and not just for the phone top ups either.

So back to the room we trekked for some air-conditioned R&R for the day.  I had to get all my stuff together that was literally spread all over the room and airline ready for my flight tomorrow.  It has really only hit me today that I am on a plane and travelling back to Ethiopia to see my beautiful Zeme for a glorious 4 weeks.  We have just been so busy the last 4 days that they have all sort of merged into one and blurred which is sort of a good thing as it has made my time go quicker in the lead up to seeing him again.  I am nervous and excited all at the same time and I can’t wait to be in his arms again.

I am also still finalizing my accommodation in Ethiopia for the first 3 nights till I know what our plans are after I arrive.  The Addis Hotel Regency have been awesome in coming back to me and we also get a free transfer from the airport.  I have also booked 2 nights in Manaus which I need before the group arrives.  I actually arrive in at 1.30am on the Tuesday morning and the group get there 5am on the Wednesday.  I got a great rate for 20AUD a night and I just need to email Mark and he will organize a transfer to collect me at that time of the morning.  I also loaded the photos from last night’s Sambadrome and they look amazing.  So the office has been busy and I am now up to date on most things, except my blog of course, but I am hoping to use some airport hours to try and catch up.

It was time to now get some shut eye with my bag 90% packed and all the office work done Kate and I had a BIG nap from 1pm-6pm.  Just what the sleeping beauty doctor ordered and lucky I had set an alarm as we may just not have woken up.  We arranged to meet the group at 7.30pm with Mick, Sven, Andreas, Kate, Paul, Mike and Liz to go back to the Pay per Kilo Restaurant.  Not only was it a nice way to spend our last night in Rio but we knew the food was also really good there.   AND our last night would not be complete with one last caiparinya so we went to one of the bars close by to cheers and toast out time together for the last time.  In saying that we couldn’t just have one, so with 2 under our belts and the time 11.30pm it was time for this little black duck to head to bed.  The streets are still busy, but nothing compared to the last 3 nights.  Party time is now over and it is time to leave this awesome city and test drive my future now in Ethiopia. 

So to new friends made, goodbye.  I know I will be seeing you all again and not in the too distant future.
Paul and Liz
You guys rock.  The loss isn’t as bad as I will be seeing you both in August on my trip back to the UK.  You both made my trip for the first 3 months and I will miss our gossip sessions, our LIVERPOOL chats and high fives when they win, my BeepyJ, BJ, SPJ and all the other names that you gave to me on our trip.  You truly are an awesome couple and I wish you all the best in your flat hunting when you get home.  See you in August in time for PM’s birthday and hopefully some tickets to a Liverpool game.  Love ya and boy are Kate and I going to miss you.

Svendog
My Caiprinya drinking buddy, my bodyguard, thong fixing, Finnish friend.  Man I am definitely going to miss you and all our jokes about the Fins.  Remember our song from Asuncion, I Did It My Way in Spanish and I hope that we get to see you in London as well for a small Rosita reunion with Paul and Liz in August.  You MUST bring your ‘Slash’ outfit and also all the interest money you owe me from the Rials you borrowed in Rio.  Enjoy what is left of your trip in Central America and good-luck re-introducing yourself back into reality! Xx 

Mick
You are a typical Nimbin person and I love you for that.  Your easy going personality, your Rasta dreads and your broken Aussie Spanish will also stay with me.  Good-luck in your personal travels for the next 3 weeks on your own in South America and if I am literally in your nick of the woods I will stop by and say hello.  You are one in a million Mick and don’t change for anybody.   


Andreas
What can I say but POKER FACE.  You really came out of your shell the last few weeks and I am going to miss that Poker Face break out into a smile everyday.  I tried my best each and everyday to break the poker face and it was nice to see that happen, especially in Foz and Rio.  Just remind me never to play Texas Hold Em with you and it is a real shame that you wouldn't come to the party and say "I'll be Back'.  Take care and safe travels home to you.

So with a heavy heart Kate and I headed to bed.  This is the worst part about tours when you make such good friends.  But they just aren’t holiday friends, they are friends for life and it is with this thought that I fell asleep with a smile on my face and their faces in my dreams. xx


No comments:

Post a Comment