Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Saturday, January 22, 2011

What Would You Miss In Twelve Months?


Generally when I travel – most of my trips are 2-3 weeks maximum.  I have done a few 4 weekers and 2 eight week trips over my travelling history.
So it is not a great deal of time away from home right?

So why, when you are on holidays do you get these unexplainable urges for something back home?  Whether it be a juicy steak from the Brekky Creek ( when you are in India of all places ) a packet of twisties ( there are eqivilants but it’s just not the same ), craving for your favourite chinese food that just no-one else can emulate, carrot cake from the bakery across from your work, your best friends advice or your god-daughters laughter….

I am sure I am not on my own.  There must be other people out there – whether you travel for 4 days, 4 weeks or 4 months – there must be something that you miss from home while on the road?

I was thinking about this the other day and as corny as the saying sounds
“you never know what you had till it’s no longer there"
or something to that effect - you get my drift. 

So what will I miss most about being away for 12 months?

*A place to call home – I think that is going to be my biggest ‘miss’
*My psudeo family – you guys know who you are
*My friends–I know I will make new ones–but nothing beats people who know the real you
*My God-daughters unconditional love and their 5 and 3 year old aspects on life
*Work – that sounds sucky – but my workplace is awesome.  Maybe it is the people rather than the ‘work’ side of things I will miss?
*Johnny’s ceasar salads – yes I know you can get ceasar’s all over the world but not like Johnny’s.
*Driving my own car
*Knowing where I am and where I am going
*The Caxton – sad but true
*Clothing options – you try and live in a backpack with the same clothes for 12 months
*Speaking to people on the phone - my world will totally become electronic
*Cadbury chocolate and Smith’s and Samboy Chips
*Chris’ hot chips with seasoning salt – no really it is the best salt ever… oh and his fish stips… d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s
*Red Rooster chicken – no one cooks chicken like Red Rooster
*Race Days with the girls and our crazy hats that we wear
*Christmas day and waking up to the sounds of excited children

They may seem like small things – but these are what makes your life a home and as much as I am looking forward to all the new places and experiences I think I am entitled to miss some things from home…………

What Would You Miss In Twelve Months?

1 comment:

  1. What would I miss....

    When I have traveled alone it was not having someone to poke or nudge and say wow check that out!! Or someone who really knows you to share the memories with. I always find that part hard. Then when I get back, nobody really understands how great of an experience I really had. And said but true, when I have traveled, I have missed Kraft Dinner, nothing like Mac and cheese to remind you of home :) The other thing, I have also missed (being an only child and enjoying being alone from time to time) is that I don't get the down time. I always have to be "on" and sociable. These are just some of the things I have missed - Amy

    ReplyDelete