Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them

Live your dream and share your passion

When you eat, appreciate every last bite

Some opportunities only come only once-seize them

Laugh everyday

Believe in magic

Love with all your heart

Be true to who you are

Smile often and be grateful

…and finally make every moment count

Follow my new adventures: http://berniesafricanodyssey.blogspot.com

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Travel Log Book

So how do you keep track of your travel escapades?
Keeping count of which countries you visited?
Where do you put those cute little entrance tickets you get from attractions?
Where can you get your new friends to sign and write comments?
If you like to keep track of miles flown – seat numbers etc……… ( yes I am that anal )

Some people collect patches, magnets, plates, spoons, stamps, stick pins, foreign money etc…….. ( yes I also do all that but NOT spoons or patches )

Well some years ago I came across a web site called the Globetrotters Logbook.

The Globetrotter’s LogBook - Countries of the World is a pocket-sized souvenir book for people who like travelling. Every one of the world’s current 193 countries (and their 58 overseas dependencies) are listed in alphabetical order, complete with flags, capital cities, information, details about their time zones, currencies, land area, population, interesting travel-websites, etc…………………

Each country has room for a small personal souvenir: the rubberstamp from the hotel where you stayed, some fun words of farewell from your ski instructor, your own personal copy of that beautiful postage stamp you loved so much, a dried petal from your favourite flower.  Whatever you want to keep to remind you of your trip. I have my travel guides from different countries sign my book – new words I learn in other languages – those special mementos of weird bag tags, concierge tickets from great hotels ( like the Burj in Dubai ) etc….

The Globetrotter's LogBook also features a Vaccination Log in which you can keep a structured and up-to-date record of the jabs you have had as you embark on your adventurous life.   There is also the detailed Flight Register with details of your seat, airline, plane type and city pairs flown.

It is a dandy little book and I won’t travel to a new country without it – it is as precious as my passport – well maybe not quite - but nearly.  I try and get a rubber stamp with the date on it, generally from a post office or depending on the laxity of the immigration staff, at airports.  Otherwise in tough countries like Latvia and Cuba where they wouldn’t stamp my book I purchase a lick lick stamp to pop into it.

If you travel heaps – this book is certainly for you.  My last entry was my from new Ukrainain friend who served me 12 days of vodka’s on my Black Sea River Cruise.  He wrote it all in Ukranian and I had to get a hostess on my Emirates flight to translate his message which was super cute.

These will be the small things that will be forgotten with the passage of time – but not me, I have my Globetrotter’s Logbook at the ready for my next new stamp and for my next new guide / friends to write something….

I ♥ showing my book to people and it is something nice to reflect on every now and then and sometimes also serves as a bragging book to people.

No comments:

Post a Comment